Hawkeyes @ Rutgers Football time to visit NYC?

nilekinnick

Is a bit early, trying to combine a Hawkeye game this fall with a couple days visiting NYC.

I was told staying in Newark by Prudential Center is close to trains and $10 ride to Penn Station in NYC, it did not look far from Rutgers football stadium, still a cab ride to get to the game.

Thinking 2 days of a lot of walking in NYC to see most the common tourist sites, & the Staten Island ferry a cheap way to site see.

Wanted to see if any Hawkeye fans in NYC had some thoughts they would want to suggest for the budget minded.

Did that trip last fall for a cruise. Message me and I can give you my experiences nod suggestions.

LOVE NYC! We're planning to go, as well. Never been to Rutgers but did fly into Newark and trained into our Midtown hotel on one visit. NY / Jersey MTA look like spaghetti noodles online but once you get it, it's a breeze and all you have to do is ask -- anyone and everyone will help you out (IGNORE anyone who tries to rumor down New Yorkers -- their the nicest people in the world; I think a helluva lot friendlier than the "midwestern" Chicagoans.)

I'd highly recommend staying in Manhatten rather than Newark. You should be able to get a very nice place very close to Penn Station -- 3 nights, including flight -- for a decent price out of Omaha for $600-$700 per person. This is a great location to not only train / bus it to Rutgers (prolly almost to the stadium, avoiding taxi's) but also subway it to lower Manhatten (WTC, Battery Park ferries to Statue), up to Central Park, or simply walk to Empire State, Times Square and a bit further, the Rock (all within 15 - 20 minutes, by foot). Also, consider one of the hop-on / off tour buses -- gets you to all the prime sites, provides transportation all over Manhatten and you learn and see a lot from the guides.

I can't wait for the Rutgers game! Yea, see the Hawks, yada, yada, but it's a great "reason" to go to NYC!! (Also going to see Billy Joel at MSG over Memorial Day ... SUCK IT, BIATCHES! ;))

Seriously, hope this helps and that you have a GREAT trip!

I wouldn't recommend staying in Newark. Either stay in NYC or get a hotel near Rutgers stadium. Newark to Rutgers stadium is not a short drive, especially in NJ traffic.

Take a thick wallet. Lots of credit. Don't be fooled. EXPENSIVE. Manhattan?,, pay at this window. Friendly? Really? What's in your wallet?? Better yet, where did my wallet go? Good luck Hawkeyes.

New Yorkers go to Broadway shows, the museums, walk in the Park, etc. Tourists go to the Empire State building, the Statute of Liberty, the UN & ride the ferry. There isn't a city in the world where tourists stand out more than New York.

New Yorkers go to the Tavern on the Green for lunch & the Four Seasons for dinner. Dinner & the theater is New York.

Last edited:

Latest posts