Hawkeyes Off Mark in Loss at Nebraska

Pretty clearly we’re not making the dance this year. Unless some recruits end up being better than they appear the Murray boys years will end up being the high point of Fran’s tenure.

Yikes... Perkins looked like he didn't even want to be out there. He had defensive lapses all over the place. Wasn't hustling and couldn't throw it in the ocean.

Sandfort looks like a D2 level player. At some point a 'shooter' that can't shoot isn't a shooter. I'm just saying...

Rebraca and Murray were the only two out there that looked like they had any business being on the floor. They tried anyway. But man we have no guards... Ulis brings nothing to the table. TP when he plays like that is a detriment not a leader. Those comparisons to Andre Wooldridge are long gone now. PM is just so inconsistent. He's either hot or cold with little in-between.

Combine that with only CM being worth anything coming off the bench and that's not a good mix. If we can't hit 3s at more then 35% clip then we are gonna struggle offensively and that's not a high bar. But if they can't even hit 30% from 3 or 40% from 2 then we don't even have a chance. Bad teams can beat us. Is what it is...

Pretty clearly we’re not making the dance this year. Unless some recruits end up being better than they appear the Murray boys years will end up being the high point of Fran’s tenure.
Ya don’t think NPOY the 2 seasons ago is a highlight?

Iowa has lost Joe W and Keegan Murray early to the NBA in back to back seasons. Maybe we all should have seen this coming. I just assumed Fran was good enough not to have a rebuild year. Clearly we’re in that.

Iowa has lost Joe W and Keegan Murray early to the NBA in back to back seasons. Maybe we all should have seen this coming. I just assumed Fran was good enough not to have a rebuild year. Clearly we’re in that.
Before the unceremonious NCAA exit last March we were not only good, we were tough minded. I was comparing our mental toughness to Bo Ryan era Wisconsin, Eric Musselman's Nevada teams from a few years ago, and those pit bull mentality teams that you dreaded drawing in March.

I posted multiple times that this team had a much tougher mindset than the Gesell/Uthoff teams that always seem to find a way to lose close games (with statistical evidence to back it up.)

I'm at a loss for words for what has happened. Tragically, so is Fran. You could see it all over his face. If it was announced today that he was stepping down, or taking a leave of absence, I would not be shocked. Something internally with this team is OFF!!!! Maybe you're correct. Maybe Speraw was that big a factor. I'll take it take it step further-maybe he was simply the better coach.

Last edited:
Yikes... Perkins looked like he didn't even want to be out there. He had defensive lapses all over the place. Wasn't hustling and couldn't throw it in the ocean.

Sandfort looks like a D2 level player. At some point a 'shooter' that can't shoot isn't a shooter. I'm just saying...

Rebraca and Murray were the only two out there that looked like they had any business being on the floor. They tried anyway. But man we have no guards... Ulis brings nothing to the table. TP when he plays like that is a detriment not a leader. Those comparisons to Andre Wooldridge are long gone now. PM is just so inconsistent. He's either hot or cold with little in-between.

Combine that with only CM being worth anything coming off the bench and that's not a good mix. If we can't hit 3s at more then 35% clip then we are gonna struggle offensively and that's not a high bar. But if they can't even hit 30% from 3 or 40% from 2 then we don't even have a chance. Bad teams can beat us. Is what it is...
The land of misfit toys would gladly welcome our guards and Sanfort.....a shooter that can't shoot indeed!
1672417184528.png

Iowa dropped 10 spots to No. 68 in the NET with the loss last night.

Likely going to need .500 in Big Ten with loss to EIU to sniff the Dance. That means 10-8 the rest of the way.

They should go to the all white unis and claim to be Stormtroopers!!
Y5yq.gif

Iowa Men's Basketball 2022-2023

Not in a team sport. The landscape is littered with great players on lousy teams.

I'll take the team wins any time.

Yea, but supposedly good teams lose some players early every season. If a coach can't adjust to that and has a roster so thin that they can't absorb that, that's on them to.

There are multiple factors involved and plenty of blame to go around, but, as I mentioned in other threads, count me in the camp that feels that the retirement of Speraw is the single biggest factor in the decline of this team. Yes, we've had some attrition and injuries, but the impact of Speraw on the program was always underestimated and underappreciated.

It's not about teaching specific skills, such as shooting. Speraw's impact was always as the guy who game-planned and managed in-game adjustments. Fran frequently deferred to Kirk in the huddle, or at least would get his opinion on adjustments to make before addressing the players. Speraw was an effective stabilizing force. Without him, we have seen several players fail to develop or regress, and a pervasive lack of ability to play with discipline and handle adversity. I'm not "anti-Fran" at all, but, in many ways, without his right-hand man, we are seeing Fran's limitations as a coach being exposed.

There are multiple factors involved and plenty of blame to go around, but, as I mentioned in other threads, count me in the camp that feels that the retirement of Speraw is the single biggest factor in the decline of this team. Yes, we've had some attrition and injuries, but the impact of Speraw on the program was always underestimated and underappreciated.

It's not about teaching specific skills, such as shooting. Speraw's impact was always as the guy who game-planned and managed in-game adjustments. Fran frequently deferred to Kirk in the huddle, or at least would get his opinion on adjustments to make before addressing the players. Speraw was an effective stabilizing force. Without him, we have seen several players fail to develop or regress, and a pervasive lack of ability to play with discipline and handle adversity. I'm not "anti-Fran" at all, but, in many ways, without his right-hand man, we are seeing Fran's limitations as a coach being exposed.
We need Sherm to step up to the plate.....he has to be more than just a good dresser.

Latest posts