Hawkeyes Have Landed: Official Cayman Islands Classic Thread

AIRBHG

There are 8 teams headed to the Cayman Islands this week. Looking at the names I initially thought this wouldn't help Iowa's SOS much, however after reviewing the Pomeroy stats, there is some decent competition attending. It looks like Cincy is the team to beat here. I think Iowa's depth would be an asset in tournament play where there is less recovery time between games. Hopefully Connor is healthy so Fran can get JoBo some rest in the early rounds.

Team // Record // Pomeroy Ranking
Iowa // 3-0 // 58
Cincinnati // 3-0 // 10
Louisiana // 2-1 // 111
UAB // 3-0 // 118
Richmond // 0-2 // 188
Wyoming // 2-0 // 84
South Dakota St // 3-1 // 119
Buffalo // 2-0 // 155

Iowa will face Louisiana in the opening game Monday at 11AM Central Standard Time followed by South Dakota State meeting Wyoming at 1:30PM

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns compete in the West Division of the Sun Belt Conference, had a 21-12 record last season with their last appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 2014.

Louisiana-Lafayette is a veteran team that could give Iowa some fits in the first round. I'm hoping they can come out of this tournament with 2 wins but I wouldn't be surprised if they only got 1.

There are 8 teams headed to the Cayman Islands this week. Looking at the names I initially thought this wouldn't help Iowa's SOS much, however after reviewing the Pomeroy stats, there is some decent competition attending. It looks like Cincy is the team to beat here. I think Iowa's depth would be an asset in tournament play where there is less recovery time between games. Hopefully Connor is healthy so Fran can get JoBo some rest in the early rounds.

Team // Record // Pomeroy Ranking
Iowa // 3-0 // 58
Cincinnati // 3-0 // 10
Louisiana // 2-1 // 111
UAB // 3-0 // 118
Richmond // 0-2 // 188
Wyoming // 2-0 // 84
South Dakota St // 3-1 // 119
Buffalo // 2-0 // 155

Iowa will face Louisiana in the opening game Monday at 11AM Central Standard Time followed by South Dakota State meeting Wyoming at 1:30PM

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns compete in the West Division of the Sun Belt Conference, had a 21-12 record last season with their last appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 2014.
How come there is no TV coverage of this tournament?

Let's hope the Hawks come home with two wins. Let's go Hawks.
No or one win is unacceptable. Two wins and not making the championship game, would be OK. Two wins and making the championship game is what what I am expecting. Three wins would be fantastic.

Just my 2¢ .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

Got Flo for the month, but gonna be at work and have to watch the replay the next day.
One thing, it's gonna be hard for Mac to keep Nudge out of the starting lineup. Indiana, and every top program were sleeping on this guy. Garza is a stud too but Nudge can do so many things well. He is capable of playing the 3,4 ,and 5 spot. Shoots like a guard and plays defense. I have yet to see a "freshman" play.
Go Hawks, just don't think we win this tourney without Baer and CMack. Great opportunity for other players.

One thing I noticed from the video is Baer obviously practicing and dunking in drills.

Looks like they only had a minor wrap on that left pinky. Maybe he'll be back earlier than the 3-4 weeks they originally projected??? He banged it up on 6 Nov so sometime around 1 December +/- 3 days was the original timeframe.

Last edited:
Looks like they only had a minor wrap on that left pinky. Maybe he'll be back earlier than the 3-4 weeks they originally projected??? He banged it up on 6 Nov so sometime around 1 December +/- 3 days was the original timeframe.

Well, if nothing else, he'll be able to keep in basketball shape, as apposed to Connor, who will find it difficult.

Latest posts