Hawkeyes Gamefilm: Defensive Line vs Northwestern

Horrendous performance, I dont know how many times Alvis gave up the edge, but it was a ton

It was due in large part to him crashing down on the dive pretty consistently and no one sweeping behind to deal with the QB. Iowa wants to play a read and react defense most of the time and it usually is fine. However, when facing an opponent who uses a zone read run offense it makes them look very silly trying to read and react to an option play. To deal with option and zone read offenses you need to play a disciplined 1 gap defense, take good angles in pursuit, and make the tackles in space. I think Iowa was trying to adjust as the game went along, but it didn't seem to matter. Colter and Mark were killing them with speed on the edge. Tough game.

It was due in large part to him crashing down on the dive pretty consistently and no one sweeping behind to deal with the QB. Iowa wants to play a read and react defense most of the time and it usually is fine. However, when facing an opponent who uses a zone read run offense it makes them look very silly trying to read and react to an option play. To deal with option and zone read offenses you need to play a disciplined 1 gap defense, take good angles in pursuit, and make the tackles in space. I think Iowa was trying to adjust as the game went along, but it didn't seem to matter. Colter and Mark were killing them with speed on the edge. Tough game.

Its almost like they had no idea it was coming and no idea how to defense it once it became obvious what they wanted to do. I lost count at the number of times I was telling at the tv when they would spread it out and we would completely vacate the middle by moving our backers out and colter or mark would just take off up the middle. After awhile I just started laughing!

Just another example of poor scheme. Nico Law should have been inserted and been very active in run support by mixing up pressure off the edge and up the middle. Make them change when it became obvious you couldn't handle Colter with the front 7. Again another example of Iowa's defense playing worse than the number of points scored would indicate. The scheme doesn't work unless you have serious NFL talent on the dline.

The Northwestern game was awful... Just awful... They bulldozed through us like the line was made up of cheap, drunken tarts... I went to hte Northwestern game last year, it was GREAT! WHERE are THOSE boys??? I watched the game last week and was ill... I know we have problems, but THAT game was just about as bad as it gets... At this rate we are going to get a fat goose egg the rest of the season... The Marx Brothers would be a better front line...
footballhater-horsefeathers.jpg

It was a terrible game plan and performance. There's nothing else to say. NW could have blown Iowa out without passing the ball a single time, which is basically what happened.

Latest posts