HawkeyeGameFilm takes an In Depth Look at Iowa Passing game

From a passer rating perspective, CJ is showing that going downfield isn't as big of a risk that KF may have believed. CJ should play. Jon, what I didn't see from HGF is a comparison in scoring drive efficiency.

Great stuff by HGF as always. I wonder if he will come out and say who he thinks should be starting? I'm 99% sure the coaches know who he is, so I wonder if that is why he doesn't come out and say who he thinks should be starting.

Great stuff by HGF as always. I wonder if he will come out and say who he thinks should be starting? I'm 99% sure the coaches know who he is, so I wonder if that is why he doesn't come out and say who he thinks should be starting.

I thought HGF has expressed a preference to see CJB.

Its as if the coaches and Jake have some mental block that bad things will happen if you throw more than 5 yards down field. It is no more dangerous (if you make the right pass) than any other pass. Do your progression and throw to who is open. Sometimes(many) it will be the deep pass.

Always enjoy Gamefilm's write-ups. Interesting takeaways about the TEs. If last year's OSU game showed anything, Duzey when matched up appropriately should be targetted vertically. Perhaps GD and the QBs are saving those for the playoffs-- if so, I am ok with the setup.

So our coaches don't want to play the QB that has demonstrated the ability to hurt opponents deep? Would that make Iowa too sexy?

I'd like to see a comparison of the running game while each of the two QBs has been at the helm.

I'd like to see a comparison of the running game while each of the two QBs has been at the helm.

From box / play x play ...

JR (3.5 games)
Total rushing = 121 carries for 441 yards = 3.64 ypc = 126 yards / game
RB's = 93 carries for 318 yards = 3.42 ypc = 90.9 yards / game
QB = 23 carries for 92 yards = 4 ypc = 26.3 yards / game

CJB (1.5 games)
Total rushing = 74 carries for 260 yards = 3.51 ypc = 173.3 yards / game
RB's = 61 carries for 216 yards = 3.54 ypc = 144 yards / game
QB = 10 carries for 34 yards = 3.4 ypc = 22.7 yards / game

Total efficiency (avg / carry) is virtually identical, regardless of QB, but total productivity is substantially better under CJB -- total rushing productivity is 37.5% better under CJB but the RB's productivity is 58.4% better.

There's no question that the whole offense becomes more productive / less 1-dimensional under CJB.
JR = 207 plays (59 / game) for 1089 yards = 5.26 / play; 311 / game
CJB = 124 plays (82.7 / game) for 603 yards = 4.86 / play; 402 / game

Worth noting, totals under Jake are skewed slightly higher by the jet sweeps against UNI (adding a total of 56 yards, or nearly 13% of total production under JR on just those 2 plays). Take those away and you have 3.23 ypc and 110 ypg.

Also worth noting, under Jake, only averaged 34.6 rushing attempts per game; under CJB, averaged 49.3 attempts. This definitely impacts total output.

It comes down to a matter of opportunities (plays). Yes, JR gets more per play but simply doesn't generate enough opportunities. Question: Is that by design (i.e. play-calling) or by his own doing? Another question: Does it really matter if the overall goal is to win the game, not the play?

Our yards per carry has gone down slightly when CJB has been in the game, but only 0.1 or 0.2 ypc. Basically no change.

Higher % drops thrown from CJ. Faster ball, different trajectory, different feel.

That's what I think also. Hopefully those on the receiving end can adjust. CJ may also have to dial it back a bit inside 10 yards, screen passes, etc.

That's what I think also. Hopefully those on the receiving end can adjust. CJ may also have to dial it back a bit inside 10 yards, screen passes, etc.

i think him throwing it hard was probably part and parcel with him having a first start. nerves, etc. with time, timing and tempo/pace appropriate throws will come.

and i disagree that the coaches don't want to throw the ball down the field. it's just the opposite and has been said by the staff. just look at what happens to the horizontal throwing game when the QB makes the down field throws. just need the QB to make the throws - so i would disagree that the coaches have a mental block about throwing down field, but it appears that maybe one of the qbs does.

i think him throwing it hard was probably part and parcel with him having a first start. nerves, etc. with time, timing and tempo/pace appropriate throws will come.

and i disagree that the coaches don't want to throw the ball down the field. it's just the opposite and has been said by the staff. just look at what happens to the horizontal throwing game when the QB makes the down field throws. just need the QB to make the throws - so i would disagree that the coaches have a mental block about throwing down field, but it appears that maybe one of the qbs does.

I agree with this after watching the last two games. I think it's about ability. CJ has the ability to attack single coverage. He doesn't need as much separation. Teams aren't going to risk stacking the box against him as much. If they do, he will make them pay.

Last edited:
Our yards per carry has gone down slightly when CJB has been in the game, but only 0.1 or 0.2 ypc. Basically no change.

What this analysis shows more than anything is a fan base's infatuation with the back up QB. Nothing new, just the way it is.

I like both QBs. If the run game begins to click, both will have better numbers.

What this analysis shows more than anything is a fan base's infatuation with the back up QB. Nothing new, just the way it is.

I like both QBs. If the run game begins to click, both will have better numbers.

This is exactly the problem...the reason the run game isn't "clicking" is because when one of our QBs is at the helm the opposition stacks the box making it difficult to open running lanes. When the 'other' QB is in, they have to respect the deep ball which gives our line and RBs some opportunities. This isn't rocket science. The run game won't ever click with 8 guys in the box with this Iowa team.

This is exactly the problem...the reason the run game isn't "clicking" is because when one of our QBs is at the helm the opposition stacks the box making it difficult to open running lanes. When the 'other' QB is in, they have to respect the deep ball which gives our line and RBs some opportunities. This isn't rocket science. The run game won't ever click with 8 guys in the box with this Iowa team.

Except for the little fact we have a slightly better rushing avg per run when Jake is under center. I don't get your argument.

No one is denying CJB has a more lively arm, stats don't reveal he's more effective.

I understand I'm in the rare camp in that I like them both, I expect the run game to get a bit better, both QBs to get better, and our D to continue being stingy.

They have a chance to pick up some mo, rest and recover, and get ready for a 5 game November.

If you want to nitpick our biggest weakness is out punt game. When the Hawks are at their best they control field position

Latest posts