HawkeyeGameFilm: James Vandenberg Review

The frustrating thing is JVB had intermediate routes open, he just didn't recognize or target them. Greg Davis devised good route combos to stretch the field w/ intermediate throws, and JVB didn't take advantage of them. You certainly don't expect a QB to see every open target, but you do expect a little more from your 5th year, starting QB who's entering his second full season as the starter. The other thing was there were a few occasions when they went play action and he unnecessarily rushed throws - one that sticks out was a ball to Weisman or some other 5 yard dump. There was one play action pass that he literally had 3-4 seconds to let the play develop and find a target, but instead he immediately checked it down into the flat (may have been the Weisman incompletion). Fortunately things can be improved w/ better pass pro and JVB recognizing what's being given, but if the team is going anywhere, they need him to get things worked out in a hurry. He's too talented not to play better.

It was certainly a very conservative offense from a play calling standpoint. I have to wonder though how things would have transpired had the WR's been open downfield. It seems like they never got separation for most of the game.

That worries me because I do not think Northern Illinois has a great defense. They are decent, but that's not close to the best D Iowa will face this season by any means.

It was certainly a very conservative offense from a play calling standpoint. I have to wonder though how things would have transpired had the WR's been open downfield. It seems like they never got separation for most of the game.

That worries me because I do not think Northern Illinois has a great defense. They are decent, but that's not close to the best D Iowa will face this season by any means.

Watch the game again (it's on espn.go.com as one option). Seriously. I thought exactly what you posted above, then I re-watched the game tonight, focusing a lot of attention on (1) the route combos; (2) where other receivers were when JVB let it go (to seemingly whoever was w/in 5 yards of him); and (3) how much pressure JVB was under to throw it when he did. It was very surprising seeing pass catchers breaking open (or already open) that JVB missed, and that he had time to target them. No doubt in my mind he and Davis will see this and JVB will be very frustrated w/ his performance and what he missed.

i would love to see the playbook and the reads on the pass plays. i think the wrs missed a lot of reads that jvb adjusted on and he looked for them and they werent there so he rushed his progression to the check down too often. he was far from strong but how the progression and reads work seem to be complicated and qb and wr must be on the same page. give it another week and i think we will see a lot of improvement as the wrs and jvb now have their own film to learn from instead of texas film.

Not buying the conservative offensive play calling. Just not going to buy it.

HGF didn't even mention the brilliant slide 1 yd before the first down play.

I think there is something yo the new reads scheme. there was a play at the open practice where JVB threw deep to an absent KMM that GD was LIVID about. as a fan it looked like JVB just didn't know what was going on and that GD was mad at him. come to find out, kmm had one on one coverage and should have checked his route but didn't.

so I am wondering if JVB is seeing things the receivers are not or vice versa and they just aren't on the same page.

either way, jvb looked lost, shaken and frustrated this weekend. if he does not get it together then countdown to basketball will begin soon.

Not buying the conservative offensive play calling. Just not going to buy it.

This is the easiest thing for fans to grasp, so its the card they go to often. It's what they see, or rather, what they think they see.

But we have no idea as to what routes were being run, if they were being run right, what blown assignments there were, etc.

Also in this first game with a new system and so many inexperienced players on the OL, I don't think the gameplan that was in stalled from a plays perspective was going to be very thick or complicated. Each week a game plan is going to consist of only so many plays. They don't go into each game with the entire playbook. They work on the plays they pick for each game week.

That is not to say Iowa held anything back in this game. I just don't think they were yet able to bring in the bulk of what will make up their core offense as the year goes along.

You had three or four first time starters, and you had 11 first time starters in this new system. It's going to take some time....though I didn't expect things to be that shaky.

If your read KF's interview posted on hawkeyesports.com.....he sounds very optimistic about our passing game making big strides week to week....young teams like this one have the greatest capacity for improvement. Vandy will be much better this week as the young team around him processes what they learned from last weeks game.

Im always one to enjoy talking about stuff like this, as opposed to the posters that think critiquing tw players/coaches is off limits. Nothing bothers me more than the guys that post "ok, so now you're the coach right!"

But, we all need to slow down the mob when it comes to this conversation. I'm not saying JVB played well, he didn't. But like Jon said, we don't know the plays, as much as we think we do. Unless someone on this board is associated with the team, or someone spends extensive time watching film of the offense (they still wouldn't know). Either of these cases would be extremely inappropriate. My point is that none of us know hat is actually happening. And say someone really deserves blame, we don't know who it is. It's way too easy to blame the QB for any/every passing game mistake.

90% of the criticism of JVB is not at or route related. Worm burners. taking sacks, staring down receivers, not checking down receivers, sliding a yard short if the first down...these have nothing to do with the plays or routes and everything to do with JVB. He made these same mistakes last year so the argument about a new scheme and what not doesn't float for THESE particular criticisms. Do I think there are some kinks to work out on that front? of course. But JVB still needs to take care of the mistakes that ARE his issues or nothing else will matter.

This is the easiest thing for fans to grasp, so its the card they go to often. It's what they see, or rather, what they think they see.

But we have no idea as to what routes were being run, if they were being run right, what blown assignments there were, etc.

Also in this first game with a new system and so many inexperienced players on the OL, I don't think the gameplan that was in stalled from a plays perspective was going to be very thick or complicated. Each week a game plan is going to consist of only so many plays. They don't go into each game with the entire playbook. They work on the plays they pick for each game week.

That is not to say Iowa held anything back in this game. I just don't think they were yet able to bring in the bulk of what will make up their core offense as the year goes along.

You had three or four first time starters, and you had 11 first time starters in this new system. It's going to take some time....though I didn't expect things to be that shaky.

I really don't think it was that conservative, it's just where he waspst comfortable throwing. Watch the one play they went deep and I believe the safety came over to help (going left on screen). Look at the top receiver and what he is doing as the camera pans over during the pass.

I didn't dvr it so I actually wouldn't mind someone checking. That receiver was just standing there if I remember correctly. A 3rd option maybe. But that was the guy vandy kept throwing to it seemed.

I think the play your talking about JVB under threw it and the safety had time to get over and knock it down. Had he hit the guy in stride that would have been a big gainer if not a TD.

not supposed to call out specific players? change can be good, but offense is just plain bad (exception would be run blocking and RB) and it all starts with decision making and poise at one position. jvb (and receivers) has got to improve and be on same page next week or hawks don't have a very good chance to win their home opener.

90% of the criticism of JVB is not at or route related. Worm burners. taking sacks, staring down receivers, not checking down receivers, sliding a yard short if the first down...these have nothing to do with the plays or routes and everything to do with JVB. He made these same mistakes last year so the argument about a new scheme and what not doesn't float for THESE particular criticisms. Do I think there are some kinks to work out on that front? of course. But JVB still needs to take care of the mistakes that ARE his issues or nothing else will matter.

Right, but things like:

"staring down receivers"
"checking down"
"taking sacks"

are all cliques in the modern game. And we can't say that JVB stares down his receivers without knowing the pass concept. I'm not saying that this list of things is meaningless, being able to check down as a QB is vital. But to base your argument of analysis on 'him staring down receivers' is weak. We are all allowed to be armchair Offensive Coordinators, but we're not necessarily right.

Latest posts