Hawkeye women are fun to watch

iahawk20

After whipping Purdue and a close road loss to a top 10 OSU team they knocked off a Sparty team today that was on a four game winning streak today.

Talk about a team that is really starting to gel and improve. Despite some key injuries the lady Hawks have really picked up their play the last few weeks. Having Kachine back and close to 100% has been big. Bluder has basically everyone coming back next season and is getting a ton out of a team full of FR and SO players. Wahlin is a very very good basketball player...good to see the future looks outstanding for Bluder and co.

I see this thread going in the direction of somebody recommending Bluder to take over for Lick...

It was good to see an Iowa BB team take control of a game and maintain it through the final horn. Wahlin, Printy, Johnson & Alexander were fun to watch.

They are a good team this year and young. These girls should be fun to watch for the next few years.

Bluder has some talent coming in the next two years too. Jade Rodgers (CR Kennedy) next year and Virginia Johnson in 2011.

They have some very good scorers on that team. Very balanced so it is hard to take away all the options. With three players out for the year, an already young team and both returning stars (Wahlin and Alexander) being injured it has been a very good coaching job by bluder. In the past her teams have not been tough or athletic enough to compete against the better teams but that looks to be changing.

This is for sure the most physical and mentally tough team under Bluder.

Yup, the mental toughness thing had been an issue for Bluder teams in the past. I really thought we were going to get rolled by an angry OSU team in Columbus, but the Hawks came out and took it to 'em. If it weren't for OSU's defensive guard and the refs swallowing their whistles at the end, might have pulled it out. Too bad we don't get them in IC this season.

I can never get over the talent disparity in women bball. The gap between #1 and #8 in a head to head match-up is 30 points. It's absolutely ridiculous. (Geno Auriemma for Lick?) I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this but: After watching a mens game it pains me to watch a womens game. The pace, or lack there of, combined with the lack of athleticism compared to the mens game makes it impossible for me to watch.

I can never get over the talent disparity in women bball. The gap between #1 and #8 in a head to head match-up is 30 points. It's absolutely ridiculous. (Geno Auriemma for Lick?) I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this but: After watching a mens game it pains me to watch a womens game. The pace, or lack there of, combined with the lack of athleticism compared to the mens game makes it impossible for me to watch.

I absolutely 100% agree with you.

I absolutely 100% agree with you.

Everybody has their opinion (unfortunately sometimes) but I have to really disagree on the pace of play. This team plays a much more uptempo style than most of the Big Ten men's team. There is obviously less jumping and no above the rim play but for a basketball purist it can be very entertaining. A lot of ball movement, high posts and better spacing due to the fact the bodies just aren't as big. Plus it is great for kids as children less than 5 get in for free.

Now I won't watch a non-Iowa women's game like I will men's but as a fan of the school I really like watching this team. Plus they are going to be very good next year and make a run at the Big Ten title I believe.

I really enjoy this team, they move the ball up court real fast, they set up and run their offense and shoot the ball. Kacine is fun to watch, but so is so many of them. I am really impressed with the Printy and johnson as freshmen. Then to take in the fact they lost so many important players to injury this season that Bluder should be coach of the year in the Big Ten.

I must admit that a few years ago I was one of those guys that thought that Coach was in over her head after having success at Drake and St. Ambrose, that she was not going to make it at Iowa. She has proven me wrong and I am not afraid to admit it. Iowa women's BB is really fun to watch now, I really enjoy it.

I enjoy watching the Iowa women play. That said, the comment about disparity in the women's game isn't strong enough. This year the difference between the number 1 team and the number 2 team is 30 points.