Hawkeye sports room in my basement.

Thawki

I am sure some of you have made a basement room into a Hawkeye lounge, so to speak, where you can watch your Iowa sports in the appropriate setting. I am finishing my basement and have a request. My wife thinks that the Iowa gold or yellow would be fine. But, if we try to make the window/door/floor/ceiling trim black she says it will take away from anything on the walls and all one will notice is the black trim because it will stand out so much from the yellow or gold that is the majority of the room.

She may be right. However, I was wondering if you could post any pictures of similar types of rooms you or people you know may have. Hopefully I will be able to get a feel for what it could look like with black trim as well as with some alternative to that. She isn't opposed to the idea of the room, just afraid about the part with the black trim.

One other thing I am interested in is what others may have done for the floor in such a room, other than just a traditional carpet in whatever colors and patterns one might normally choose from.

Thanks in advance.

If you plan on staying in the house forever, paint it however you want. If not, repainting black trim before you would move might be a pain. Otherwise I think it could look nice....as long as the floor was a good color. I don't have a Hawkeye room, but I've seen anything from carpet, to movie theater carpeting, to hardwood. It's really up to you. Checkered pattern might look nice....I always thought it'd be cool to do green carpet and put lines on it to make it look like a field, or do carpet tiles or hardwoods and mimic the parquet at Carver.

Well, I wasn't allowed to paint the main family room in the basement but was given permission :))) to work up my home office any way that I wanted.

I have natural wood trim which I really didn't want to paint over so I left that all in-tact. I also really didn't want all of the walls to be entirely Hawkeye Gold so I just worked up a paint scheme that incorporated Black/Gold/White so that it all looked right without making me feel like I needed to beat my head against the wall after working all day.

I did more of a chair-rail type set-up with gold on the lower portions with a black stripe and white above. Easy to re-paint the walls should I ever move and left the trim all in tact.

Be a bit creative, work up a fun scheme and have some fun. It's just paint!

P1040881.jpg

P1040880.jpg

P1040878.jpg

P1040882.jpg

What color is your trim now? White? Or wood. Unless it's white I don't think I'd paint it but I do think black trim would look fine. The gold might be too much so you might want to do one wall in a gray, or all the walls in gray and then a lot of balck and gold accents.

It will look fabulous!

Well, I wasn't allowed to paint the main family room in the basement but was given permission :))) to work up my home office any way that I wanted.

I have natural wood trim which I really didn't want to paint over so I left that all in-tact. I also really didn't want all of the walls to be entirely Hawkeye Gold so I just worked up a paint scheme that incorporated Black/Gold/White so that it all looked right without making me feel like I needed to beat my head against the wall after working all day.

I did more of a chair-rail type set-up with gold on the lower portions with a black stripe and white above. Easy to re-paint the walls should I ever move and left the trim all in tact.

Be a bit creative, work up a fun scheme and have some fun. It's just paint!

P1040881.jpg

P1040880.jpg

P1040878.jpg

P1040882.jpg

I remember you posting these before. Nice. What are those big things on the shelves. On is a pear shape and the other is a giant Christmas ornament or fishing bobber?

Those are gourds. Grew some on the garden, let them dry out over the fall/winter and then I paint them while I'm watching Hawkeye Basketball. Just something a little unique. (Please note...dusting isn't my forte....)

Front:
P1050825-1.jpg

Back:
P1050826.jpg

P1050828.jpg

Last edited:
Those are gourds. Grew some on the garden, let them dry out over the fall/winter and then I paint them while I'm watching Hawkeye Basketball. Just something a little unique. (Please note...dusting isn't my forte....)

Front:
P1050825-1.jpg

Back:
P1050826.jpg

P1050828.jpg

Those are cool! An actual use for gourds!

Dusting? Who the he'll does that! :)

LOL Was that meant to be funny?:p

i painted a room in my house a yellow and put a black chair rail along the walls. i don't have any pics currently but can work on them. all the trim in the room is white and the floor is hardwood. black futon as well with a black rug on the floor. its a work in progress

Front:
P1050825-1.jpg

Back:
P1050826.jpg

P1050828.jpg

I don't thing I have ever wanted a gourd this badly ever before. Cool idea and props on the artwork!

I think best case would be for the baseboards/trim to be stained wood/natural color rather than painted black or white. It also depends on the type of flooring in that room.

We have painted my sons' room yellow, there is white trim and we left it white. Thought about going black, but it would have been the only room with black trim in the house and I think that might have been over the top. We did get black window coverings though and that looks pretty cool. A couple of pictures and a Tiger Hawk fat head, and its a good room and my boys really like it.
I also have a lot of my Hawkeye stuff in our basement in what is our formerly 2nd living room turned workout room. That is not painted yellow so fairly irrelevant to the conversation.

Our basement is a Hawkeye basement but it's not over the top black and gold. We used a neutral (but dark) paint color and then put up several Hawkeye photos framed and matted in black. Take the photos, jerseys, helmets down and it's a normal basement. I like it that way. People focus on the memorabilia and not on the bold colors of the wall.

I have done two Hawk themed basements/man rooms. At my old house the walls were painted gold with a Hawkeye wallpaper border at the edge along the ceiling. We had some water issues in the basement so we took the carpet out and painted the floor with a shiny black epoxy floor paint with gold flakes. Turned out really cool but it obviously wasn't as comfortable as carpet (we did have a big black throw rug in the middle of the main room). We had to reo the trim abd I did paint it black. Looked very very cool next to the gold walls. I put memorablia all over the walls. I also built a bar down there and named it The Hawkeye Pub. My wife then decides we need to move across town into a different house. This was the beginning of the new Hawkeye Pub. Smaller space but very cool. This time I did black to the midlle of the wall, a wall paper border in the middle, and gold to the bottom. Trim was already stained so i left it. Built a new bar, back bar, and put the memorablia up and the Pub was complete. I will post pics.

I just finished my basement Its black on two balls and the ceiling and gold on other two. A huge recommendation would be a projection TV I put in a 133inch with theater seating and it's the best.

I just finished my basement Its black on two balls and the ceiling and gold on other two. A huge recommendation would be a projection TV I put in a 133inch with theater seating and it's the best.

Painting your balls black, now that's a hawkeye fan. Although I would have painted one gold.

Front:
P1050825-1.jpg

Back:
P1050826.jpg

P1050828.jpg

Good Gourde! .... I mean, good Lord, those are awesome!

Latest posts