Hawkeye Recruits in Action: Week 2

thejumper5

This week starts high school football in a number of states and continues it in many more. Here is a complete schedule of future Hawkeyes that will be in action this weekend. Of note, two future Hawkeyes, OL Sean Welsh and DL Brant Gressel, will be going right at each other in their teams' game tomorrow night.

Thursday
Malik Rucker, DB, Robbinsdale Cooper (New Hope, MN) at Benilde St. Margaret's

Friday
David Kenney, DE, Pike (Indianapolis) at Southport
Derrick Willies, WR, Rock Island (IL) vs. Metamora
Delano Hill, S, Cass Tech (Detroit) vs. Northwestern (Detroit)
Colin Goebel, OL, Naperville (IL) North at Thornton
Nate Bazata, DT, Howells (NE) vs. Allen (8-Man)
John Kenny, LB, Carmel (IN) at Center Grove
Nic Shimonek, QB, Mildred (Corsicana, TX) vs. Como-Pickton
Derrick Mitchell, WR, Vashon (STL) at Gateway (STL)
Andre Harris, ATH, Kirkwood (MO) vs. Hazelwood East (MO)
Ike Boettger, TE, Cedar Falls at Waterloo East
Trevon Young, ATH, Lincoln (Des Moines) at Ankeny--Young is suspended.
Jos Wisnieski, TE, Dowling Catholic (West Des Moines) vs. Valley (West Des Moines)
Matthew VandeBerg, ATH, Brandon Valley (SD) vs. Watertown

Saturday
Sean Warfield, DB, St. Edward's (Lakewood, OH) vs. Buchtel (Akron, OH)

Game of the week:
Sean Welsh, OL, Springboro (OH) at Brant Gressel, DT, Centerville (Dayton, OH)--Friday

the cf vs. Waterloo east game will be the most interesting between a Waterloo school and cf in a long time. cf will have two recruits playing but the best athlete on the field will be east qb VanArsdale. I haven't heard his recruiting interest or ranking but he is a phenomenal athlete.

Malik Rucker, who plays both ways for his team, had 1 catch for a 68 yard touchdown with his team trailing by 7 late in the 4th.

Malik Rucker, who plays both ways for his team, had 1 catch for a 68 yard touchdown with his team trailing by 7 late in the 4th.

I was there. This was a great catch. The BSM db defended this deep throw well and met it high, but Malik pretty much pulled the ball from his hands. He had his man beat. If the ball were thrown better, he would not have had to have pulled it off as such.

I thought he made a few great tackles as well. Wrapping up the carrier and pulling him backward and to the ground.

Also, BSM could not stop the strong Cooper run game, or else perhaps Malik would have gotten more touches on offense.

Last thing - some of my students (BSM kids) know Malik and tell me his is a nice guy - sounds like a lot of friendly banter amongst them.

I'll say Mitchell had a heck of a game. He had a 90-yard KO return TD called back on a holding call, a 10-yard TD reception, a 2-point conversion reception, an 85-yard KO return TD, another 2-point conversion reception, and a blocked field goal.

Updates:
John Kenny has a fumble recovery as Carmel lead 31-14.
Pike 20, Southport 6 2nd Q
Dowling and Valley are tied at 7 in the first half. Jon Wisnieski has a TD catch.
Cedar Falls 14, Waterloo East 0
Springboro 25, Centerville 17 HALF

Scores:
Dowling 27, Valley 7 FINAL
Metamora 35, Rock Island 27 3rd
Carmel 31, Center Grove 21 FINAL
Mildred 51, Como-Pickton 7 3rd (I'll bet the QB from the team with 51 through 3 is having a big night.)
Cedar Falls 24, Waterloo East 14 4th
Ankeny 56, Lincoln 27 (Trevon Young did not play.)

A couple of date corrections:
Naperville North vs. Thornton and Brandon Valley vs. Watertown are each tomorrow night.
Kirkwood vs. Hazelwood East is Sunday.

Not an Iowa recruit, but Ertz from Mediapolis, IA lit it up against Vandy's alma mater and little brother. Don't have final in-depth stats but he had 3 passing td's and 3 running td's after going 13-13 and 3 td's and a rushing td last week. He only played the first half of each game. They beat Top 10 Class A Lone Tree 44-0 last week and Preseason top 5 3A Keokuk 49-14 this week. Was 42-0 at half and 49-0 before Keokuk got 2 late TD's vs scrubs. He's looking good, believe Iowa wanted him to play receiver, but he wants to stay at QB thus ending up at Kansas State.

Rock Island 49, Metamora 35 FINAL
Mildred 51, Como-Pickton 7 FINAL
Cedar Falls 30, Waterloo East 20 FINAL

Edit: Fixed RI-Metamora score

Last edited:
Not an Iowa recruit, but Ertz from Mediapolis, IA lit it up against Vandy's alma mater and little brother. Don't have final in-depth stats but he had 3 passing td's and 3 running td's after going 13-13 and 3 td's and a rushing td last week. He only played the first half of each game. They beat Top 10 Class A Lone Tree 44-0 last week and Preseason top 5 3A Keokuk 49-14 this week. Was 42-0 at half and 49-0 before Keokuk got 2 late TD's vs scrubs. He's looking good, believe Iowa wanted him to play receiver, but he wants to stay at QB thus ending up at Kansas State.

Ertz is certainly a talented football player. I think in a year with a slower recruiting cycle, Iowa would have had a real shot with him.

Latest posts