Hawkeye Receiving Corps is Deep, Talented, and Untested

Spot on with the title. We got K Mart who is a known. He's got size outside of the height. Mostly hands, but we've all seen him drop some easy ones last year. That said, it's his senior year, so I expect him to draw the best CB.

If Powell can push Hilyer to be the #2, it should be fun to watch.

Hillyer had a nice outback bowl game so if he can continue on that upward tick I see 4 solid wideouts, with others getting some play

KMM, Smith, Hillyer, Powell....not too shabby on paper. If we can see consistancy...Throw in a couple younger contributors.....and keep teams honest with just a little more vertical threat...just a little......I think we'll see a pretty effective offense, maybe better than in quite some time.

Lots of time yet...time will tell.

9+ wins and a good bowl...I'm very happy, provided no losses to teams we are 13+ point favorites.

4 long months for development.

Go Hawks.

Not overly optimistic about the WR... Deep sounds to me like the inability for a couple top guys to seperate themselves from the rest of the pack. We saw it last year... Powell, Hillyer and Smith all had great moments but couldn't deliver consistently.

Not overly optimistic about the WR... Deep sounds to me like the inability for a couple top guys to seperate themselves from the rest of the pack. We saw it last year... Powell, Hillyer and Smith all had great moments but couldn't deliver consistently.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It seems like we have a bunch of "solid" players but no one that can separate from the pack and deliver big time on the stage and put fear in the Secondary.

I’ll take my glass half full, which is a big deal compared to the glass nearly empty of the last two years. I’m not going to argue with anyone who wants to complain that Iowa has no-one at wide out that really worries anyone. They’re right. There do seem to be a good number of somewhat talented young receivers coming up through the system and a few established guys have gotten a little better.

I have not been this excited about the receivers since mcnutt and djk's denior year. I think that mn o one will have an incredible year statistically, but a great statistic year as a group. Willies and??? Will start to break out this year. Whrn these kids hit their senior year, it will be a talented group that year.

Hes got huge raw athletic ability, but will need to hit the weight room. Plan on 2 seasons from now for sure.

There were pretty strong winds on Saturday and I didn't see any ducks flying from either of the top 3 QB's there HawksMN. Your sources may have led ya down the wrong path a bit on that one. I actually thought Rudock put a zip on the ball that was noticeably better than last year. You can tell just by looking at him that he added some good weight. He still didn't throw quite as hard as Beathard or Shimonek, but he was definitely the most consistent with his decision making and accuracy.

Derrick Willies has been said to be playing really well, but still makes the freshman mistake. I also am excited to see what Mitchell and Harris can do in Davis's system. Iowa has some big bodies like Smith, Hillyer, and Willies, but also a lot of speed/quick guys (Scheel, Harris, Mitchell). It will be a good mix. Not sure this is the year we get to see all that potential, but I like what Iowa has done at the position.

Derrick Willies has been said to be playing really well, but still makes the freshman mistake. I also am excited to see what Mitchell and Harris can do in Davis's system. Iowa has some big bodies like Smith, Hillyer, and Willies, but also a lot of speed/quick guys (Scheel, Harris, Mitchell). It will be a good mix. Not sure this is the year we get to see all that potential, but I like what Iowa has done at the position.

Well said, and what I like is how fast they revamped the position. We had the down year when GD came in, but he instantly knew what the problem was, and address it in his first recruiting class. Should pay dividends in the next few years.

Willies and Smith are certainly big bodies, but I wouldn't necessarily throw them out of the speed category because of it. On Saturday, Willies looked like his speed was at or near the top in comparison to everyone besides Powell. Mitchell has a big frame on his body as well.

I'm going put this into a post simply so I can look back on it later in the year. This is the order in which I see the most production:

KMM
T. Smith
D. Willies
D. Powell
J. Hillyer
M. Vandeberg
A. Harris
D. Mitchell

Maybe I have Willies a little too high up there, but I've got high hopes for him. He probably won't get as many reps as Powell and Hillyer early in the year. I just think after a few games under his belt he's going to be playing at a level where you have to find a way to keep him on the field.

Latest posts