Hawkeye Offer Means a Lot to Chicago-Area Wing Isaiah Barnes

He has offers from Kansas and Maryland, so he’s likely going to be a high 4* type kid.

My question is how many wings are we going to go after? Would we take Sandfort and this kid? We already have the Pmac, and the Murray’s in this wing type of mold.

A question for @RobHowe . I know on the podcast a few times recently you were projecting this class to be pretty small. I actually think Iowa takes at least 2 but likely 3 players. Garza, Bohannon, and Pemsl will be graduating seniors, and I would think it’s more likely that Wieskamp forgoes his senior campaign than doesn’t at this point. Given that do you think Iowa taking 2-3 guys in this class is a reasonable assumption?

Personally I think Iowa needs to add a true big in this class. If Ogundele doesn’t pan out, we are in trouble on the inside.

He has offers from Kansas and Maryland, so he’s likely going to be a high 4* type kid.

My question is how many wings are we going to go after? Would we take Sandfort and this kid? We already have the Pmac, and the Murray’s in this wing type of mold.

A question for @RobHowe . I know on the podcast a few times recently you were projecting this class to be pretty small. I actually think Iowa takes at least 2 but likely 3 players. Garza, Bohannon, and Pemsl will be graduating seniors, and I would think it’s more likely that Wieskamp forgoes his senior campaign than doesn’t at this point. Given that do you think Iowa taking 2-3 guys in this class is a reasonable assumption?

Personally I think Iowa needs to add a true big in this class. If Ogundele doesn’t pan out, we are in trouble on the inside.

Agreed that we need to add 1 big in the 2021 class. But more than 1 is probably not necessary. The other thing to keep in mind is that with all the wing/guards that we have including the 2020 class, we could see someone transfer. Especially after next season. Also no guarantee that both these players would be allowed to accept. It could be that it's an either/or situation. Recent example is at the PG position in the 2019 class where we offered I believe 3 PGs late in the process and Toussaint committed which then filled the need at PG and the others were told we were done at PG.

Also Sandfort is listed at 6-7 200. At that size as a HS Jr he could potentially developed into more of a post player. Or at least someone that can play 4 positions. Think a better shooting Baer. Barnes seems to be more of a true guard. In other words I don't think these two kids play the same position.

Agreed that we need to add 1 big in the 2021 class. But more than 1 is probably not necessary. The other thing to keep in mind is that with all the wing/guards that we have including the 2020 class, we could see someone transfer. Especially after next season. Also no guarantee that both these players would be allowed to accept. It could be that it's an either/or situation. Recent example is at the PG position in the 2019 class where we offered I believe 3 PGs late in the process and Toussaint committed which then filled the need at PG and the others were told we were done at PG.

Also Sandfort is listed at 6-7 200. At that size as a HS Jr he could potentially developed into more of a post player. Or at least someone that can play 4 positions. Think a better shooting Baer. Barnes seems to be more of a true guard. In other words I don't think these two kids play the same position.
I think ideally we go:

Sandfort
Big man (Kieta / Duncomb / other)

If we can land a guy like Barnes you take him. Like I said he will likely be a 4*.

I think the point still remains that the wing position is super crowded. Barnes based on tape looks more like a 3 than a 2 to me. Even if they don’t get him.

Pmac 6’9 / 195
Kris Murray 6’8 / 205
Keegan Murray 6’8 / 215
Sandfort 6’7 / 200

All this guys are probably natural 3’s, that can maybe play the stretch 4 as well. Again, I think the point stands that would be a little crowded there.

We could and should take Barnes, Sandfort, and Keita. I would be happy with this group. We can continue to be able run people off the court with athleticism, speed, and depth. We would have outside shooters, guy that can drive and penetrate the lane, and a decent post presence.

We could and should take Barnes, Sandfort, and Keita. I would be happy with this group. We can continue to be able run people off the court with athleticism, speed, and depth. We would have outside shooters, guy that can drive and penetrate the lane, and a decent post presence.

I agree at this point that would be the ideal class. I've heard very little of 2021 prospects but the Keita kid fits the mold of what we need to hold down the post position. Could only find one video of him from June 2019. Any recent highlights that anyone else has found of him? That video showed a similar skillset to Kriener this past year. Maybe a better ball handler That may not excite some, but Kriener this past year was a very solid post player and had we not had Garza or Cook the last few years, I think we would have seen much better numbers from him.

I agree at this point that would be the ideal class. I've heard very little of 2021 prospects but the Keita kid fits the mold of what we need to hold down the post position. Could only find one video of him from June 2019. Any recent highlights that anyone else has found of him? That video showed a similar skillset to Kriener this past year. Maybe a better ball handler That may not excite some, but Kriener this past year was a very solid post player and had we not had Garza or Cook the last few years, I think we would have seen much better numbers from him.
From what I’ve gathered Keita is very raw basketball player especially on offense. Not sure I see the Kriener comparison.

Keita in theory could be more of a defensive presence than we’ve had.

From what I’ve gathered Keita is very raw basketball player especially on offense. Not sure I see the Kriener comparison.

Keita in theory could be more of a defensive presence than we’ve had.

He moves like Kriener on the pick and roll. Had okay footwork. Not super athletic like Cook was. And did show that he could make an outside shot. Granted that was a highlight video so that could have been his one made 3 for the year.

Does he have offers or just interest at this point from Kansas and Maryland. Robs article says Illinois is his only other major offer at this point. He has 4 star skills with those hops, shooting touch, and ball handling. Especially at that size.

Does he have offers or just interest at this point from Kansas and Maryland. Robs article says Illinois is his only other major offer at this point. He has 4 star skills with those hops, shooting touch, and ball handling. Especially at that size.
Reread the first paragraph of Rob’s article. He has offers from those schools.

Latest posts