Hawkeye freshman basketball player might take a redshirt

HawkeyeHypnosis

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...n-possible-redshirt-iowa-basketball/17362087/

from article:

Freshman sharpshooter Brady Ellingson is sidelined with a foot injury. Coach Fran McCaffery said there is a chance that the 6-foot-4 guard from Sussex, Wis., might be redshirted.
"But we're not going there yet," McCaffery said. "I feel terrible for him because he was playing well before he got hurt. He was hurt when he got here, he played for awhile and then he was hurt again."

Probably not a bad thing for Brady. He most likely would have been the 12th man coming off the bench and really wouldn't have seen any serious playing time. He could use some bulking up to be effective in the Big Ten and a year of watching, lifting and learning will be a good thing for him.

Probably not a bad thing for Brady. He most likely would have been the 12th man coming off the bench and really wouldn't have seen any serious playing time. He could use some bulking up to be effective in the Big Ten and a year of watching, lifting and learning will be a good thing for him.

Agreed, I'm really high on Ellingson and think he's going to be a rich man's Oglesby but there probably isn't much room for both of them next year. Let him adjust to D-1 basketball for a year and hit the ground running and healthy next year.

Never want to start a career injured. Most of the time players want to come back to early and the injury lingers and hampers him all year. Better to redshirt, practice, get stronger and learn.

I'm not a real big fan of redshirting in college BB these days, but considering it is an injury that obviously does make a difference. Hopefully he recovers quickly and can get some game experience this year, as I think that helps tremendously for his So year when he will need to contribute.

I always saw Brady as a red shirt candidate anyway, just not big enough yet. This will give him some time to develop & get healthy. Will also make it easier on Fran as he will be able to use a more manageable 10 man rotation, which in my opinion is still too many.....

Rehab it for a couple of months and get him in there for the league season. We need all hands on deck to make the dance this year. If he helps us win one Big Ten game, play him. Look at our history with redshirts.....Meyer, Archie, Angle.....unless it is a big guy who needs time to grow into his body, push them thru. Brady needs to give us 4 years and then graduate.

He's not a rich man's Oglesby. Ogs was a highly touted blue chip recruit who was in the top 8 or 9 on the team as a freshmen. This kid is not particularly highly touted, would likely be the 12th man this year, so if anything, he could be a poor man's Oglesby.

You never know how these kids will really turn out. Hell, so far Oglesby has been a poor mans Oglesby......

He's not a rich man's Oglesby. Ogs was a highly touted blue chip recruit who was in the top 8 or 9 on the team as a freshmen. This kid is not particularly highly touted, would likely be the 12th man this year, so if anything, he could be a poor man's Oglesby.

He'll be better than Oglesby, as long as he avoids being the worst shooter in the country one year he'll be off to a good start.

Good move for him hurt or not. Honestly we don't need him this year unless there are injuries or Jok rides a moped.

Latest posts