Hawkeye FB National Championship or Cubs winning the World Series?

nickhawk

Both of these events are probably once in a lifetime occurences, so which would you rather see.

I know that non-Cub fans will take the Hawk NC in a no-brainer, but I know that there are enough Cub fans on this board to make this topic interesting.

Which occurence would mean more to the hearts of the true Cub and Hawk fans.

If I had to choose, I would take the World Series for the Cubs.

I have enough confidence that Iowa FB is going to be very good for the forseeable future, but I have suffered through some terrible Cubs teams, so I think the World Series title for the lovable losers would carry more weight for me.

I think all cubs fans would admit that they suck and should never win a WS just for comedy's sake. Really the only choice anyone can have is a Hawkeye NC

I'm probably the biggest Cubs fan on this board, but if it comes down to my Cubs and my Hawkeyes...hmm...hmm...F it! I can go another hundy without a World Series!

Agreed, Shane. The Cubs winning it all may never happen. If it did, the earth may spin off of its axis. The Hawks winning it all seems more reasonable and less dangerous.

Shane,

I will challenge you on being the biggest Cub Fan on this board!!

I am getting the feeling that most posters are going to go with the Hawk NC, but if I spin this question in one other way I might get some different responses -

If you were given the choice to attend a game 7 of the World Series at Wrigley that you know that the Cubs would win or attend the NC game that you know that the Hawks would win, which would you rather be a part of - For me the sheer insanity of the Cubs winning the World Series would be the bigger event, so I would go with the Cubbies.

Now if I could just get these two events to happen in the same year, like say next year, that would help me get started on my next project of figuring out how to make pigs fly.

Agreed, Shane. The Cubs winning it all may never happen. If it did, the earth may spin off of its axis. The Hawks winning it all seems more reasonable and less dangerous.

Exactly! Like George Wendt (Norm from Cheers) said on the Dan Patrick Show, when asked if he would give up beer if it meant the Cubs would win the World Series...

"Yes, because it would mean the world was ending anyway."

:D

Shane,

I will challenge you on being the biggest Cub Fan on this board!!

I am getting the feeling that most posters are going to go with the Hawk NC, but if I spin this question in one other way I might get some different responses -

If you were given the choice to attend a game 7 of the World Series at Wrigley that you know that the Cubs would win or attend the NC game that you know that the Hawks would win, which would you rather be a part of - For me the sheer insanity of the Cubs winning the World Series would be the bigger event, so I would go with the Cubbies.

Now if I could just get these two events to happen in the same year, like say next year, that would help me get started on my next project of figuring out how to make pigs fly.

Not sure why I'm having a hard time with it, but I don't like that "knowing they would win" part...I wouldn't want to know it for either team, because it would diminish the joy in it...if that makes sense...

But yes, if both could win it in the same year, I'm sure I'd get arrested for SOMETHING celebratory!

Now, to your first point...QUICK! Without looking it up, give me the everyday starting lineup for YOUR 1984 Chicago Cubs NL East Champions! :p

C - Jody Davis
1B - Durham
2B - Sandberg
SS - Bowa
3B Cey
LF - Sarge Matthews
CF - Dernier
RF - Moreland

SP - Sutcliffe
RP - Smith

I can go all day with Cubs trivia - I am sure you can too - I literally know all the everyday rosters since that Magical 84 season - I was 5, but I still remember my Grandpa telling me the Cubs were finally going to the World Series after they got up 2 games on the Padres before friggin Garvey and that ground ball through Durham's legs destroyed the dream.

1B = Leon Durham
2B = Ryne Sandberg
SS = Larry Bowa
3B = Ron Cey
LF= Gary MAtthews
CF = Bobby Dernier
RF = Keith Moreland
C = Jody Davis
SP = Rick Sutcliffe

How did I do? And, no, I didn't look anything up.

Shane and Woody -

Name the Cubs CF who hit 3 HR's against the Mets on opening day and against which pitcher did he hit all 3 HR's against?

Who is the last Cub to hit a HR from both sides of the plate in the same game?

Shane and Woody -

Name the Cubs CF who hit 3 HR's against the Mets on opening day and against which pitcher did he hit all 3 HR's against?

Who is the last Cub to hit a HR from both sides of the plate in the same game?

Tuffy Rhodes

Doc Gooden

As for the last question...I want to say Zambrano for some reason...but that can't be right, can it???

Shane beat me to Tuffy Rhodes and Doc Gooden (by the way, I was born on the same day in history - November 16, 1964 as Doc). Really proud of that. :)

Since we don't use a lot of switch hitters like the Cardinals and Yankees have in the past, I am going to have to guess on the second one - OK, not Milton Bradley. And not Koyie Hill. Seriously, I am not looking ... I will go with ... Don Kessinger? Really, I am drawing a blank on this one. Big Z? OK. I didn't get this one.

Last edited:
Speaking of birthdays, I share one with none other THAN...

Steve Stone

And it's a downright crime that he's doing WhiteSux games and not Cubs games...maybe the new owners will right that definite wrong!

Steve Stone ... nice. You are correct - it does not sound right when he is doing Sox games. The Blackhawks brought back Pat Foley. The Cubs could do this.

Latest posts