Hawkeye Fans: Come Together

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Come Together | Hawkeye Nation

The loss on Saturday was a bitter pill to swallow. Iowa message boards on this site and everywhere I’ve been on the web have been pretty negative since the Cats topped the Hawks this week. I get that.

What I don’t get are alleged Iowa fans posting messages to player facebook pages, ripping into them for losing.

As if the players don’t feel bad about it.

After the Wisconsin loss, Jared Clauss said in this space to take the pain your are feeling as a fan and multiply it by ten, and you might start to feel how bad the players take a loss.

Yes, we have years and in some instances decades invested as being fans of the Iowa Hawkeyes and I don’t want to belittle that. For some, it’s a considerable financial investment. But the players are invested with their day to day lives for the most part, while they are in college. This is their life and they are broken after losses. There is no skipping class, there is no calling in sick to work for them. They have to go right back to practice and play a game that exacts a physical toll.

Tyler Sash received a message from an ‘Iowa fan’ on facebook that ripped into him and the team. My guess is that it’s from some kid from some Chicago suburb who became a ‘fan’ in the last few years because he started going to Iowa and is upset that he won’t be getting his drunk on in New Orleans or Pasadena this year.

Stuff like this embarrassing for the vast majority of Iowa fans that would never stoop to such a thing.

These players deserve better than that. They deserve the support of the fans. That’s not to say the fans wont be upset or irritated when they lose games and I realize this year is going to leave the mark that goes along with unmet expectations.

But to ignore all the amazing moments these guys have delivered in recent years would be more than just a shame.

It’s Senior Day on Saturday in Kinnick. It’s the last time many of these players will play before their home fans. It’s a very special day, and this team needs the support of the Iowa fans now more than ever.

The Recruiting Class of 2006 has seen quite a bit in their years on campus. Many of them, as true freshmen sitting out with a redshirt, went through Iowa’s first losing season since 2000. Then as redshirt freshmen, they went through the 2007 season, one that ended with an embarrassing loss to Western Michigan at home. They saw the tears streaming down Albert Young’s face on that senior day, they saw the pain.

Then as sophomores, many of them were standing in the gap, helping to turn the tide for the program. Rick Stanzi emerged as the quarterback. Adrian Clayborn and Christian Ballard started as defensive ends on one of the most statistically dominant defenses in Iowa football history. Brett Morse emerged as a devastating blocker from his fullback position. DJK emerged as a playmaker. Jeremiha Hunter would be a three year starter at linebacker. More players would emerge; Julian Vandervelde, Ryan Donahue, Paul Chaney, Jeff Tarpinian, Karl Klug, Troy Johnson.

These players put in the work to turn the program around while fellow classmates Arvell Nelson, Dominique Douglas and Anthony Bowman were bringing embarrassment off the field.

This class has done a lot. They have delivered a lot to the fans.

Rick Stanzi is the second winningest quarterback in Iowa history. He has led amazing fourth quarter rallies and engineered some game winning drives that will never be forgotten. Penn State in 2008, Michigan State and Indiana in 2009. Clayborn has done the same on his side of the ball. DJK is the most decorated receiver in school history. Ballard and Klug have been outstanding defensive linemen while Donahue has been arguably the best punter since Reggie Roby.

Allen Reisner is a semi-finalist for the Mackey Award, Vandervelde has started on the offensive line over the span of three seasons. Brett Greenwood has started in four seasons for Iowa at free safety, while Troy Johnson has been a jack of all trades. Kirk Ferentz called Jeff Tarpinian the ‘best guy that has never played here’ due to his injuries. Colin Sandeman has made key catches, including a touchdown grab in the Orange Bowl and has been a steady punt return player. Paul Chaney has also overcome key injuries in his career to contribute.

These players have been key ingredients for Iowa teams that won 22 of their last 27 games, including two January bowl games. With one more win this year they have had the third most successful three year run in school history. If they win two of their last three, it will be the second most successful three year run in school history behind the 31 wins between 2002-2004 and the 29 wins between 1985-1987.

That sort of production is excellent and it’s never been routine at Iowa. This group has accomplished much, even though this season has not gone according to their plan.

This weekend, Ohio State comes to town. These seniors, this entire team, needs the Iowa fan base to rally behind them and show them the legendary support Hawkeye teams have come to expect. There is a time for critical opinions, then there’s a time to set those aside and show your true colors.
Believe it or not, as the gnashing of teeth has been the dominant force on the message boards and talk radio shows since Saturday, this Iowa team has a chance to finish with a record of 10-3.

There have been just seven teams in Iowa football history that have won at least ten games. Seven. This team can still have a great finish and a great season through the eyes of history, even if it didn’t accomplish what it wanted to before the season began.

I know they won’t be able to do that without their 12th man at it’s absolute best on Saturday in Kinnick Stadium. Do your part, Hawkeye fan, to let this team know how much you have appreciated the amazing run they have taken us on the last two and a half years.

In football, just like life, things don’t always go according to plan. But the Iowa fans have been dependable for so long…bring it again this weekend.
Because you will see this for the last time for another year. Don’t take this stuff for granted.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OpIHW6B2WY]YouTube - The Swarm: 2010 Iowa-ISU Intro[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9xT-7-UkU] youtube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur0clGs3Rsk] youtube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib_nYU-laOc] youtube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8FKLXUmHA] youtube[/ame]

Last edited:
I've seen what it does to players first hand, and you are correct it hurts them alot more than it does us. They put in countless hours in the weight room, film room, practice, and deserve all the fan support in the world on Saturday. I'll be there to celebrate a Hawks victory with these seniors, they will be missed.

Last edited:
Damn Straight!

There are people out there - mostly kids - who have never known eras where the Hawks were considered a throwaway team, maybe good for a quarter or two, but no one to take seriously. I remember the yearly beatdowns by Michigan and Ohio State. Occasionally we'd have one or two good games a season, but never an entire season.

Then Hayden Fry came on the scene.

He not only changed the attitude of the team, but he changed the attitude of the TRUE Hawkeye fan. The concept of being competitive ANYTIME, ANYWHERE became as common as the black-and-gold uniforms and the Tigerhawk. As a member of the HMB when Hayden came along, we felt it. Kinnick began to ROCK. LITERALLY. And Ferentz has followed in the footsteps of his old mentor, and possibly even improved on it.

This team had high aspirations and have come up short. But they NEVER QUIT. Some games have not been what we wanted to see, but these players have been Hawkeyes through and through, and I for one am proud of each one of them. No, this wasn't the 'magical' season that some predicted, but it's not over. We still have games to play, including a re-match that many have waited to see ever since we left the Horseshoe last year.

Ferentz has always said that they play for the next game.

That game is here.

I'm hoping the Hawks put a beatdown on the Buckeyes. This team CAN do that.

I'm not giving up hope.

GO HAWKS!

Everyone loves this team. No question. That's why anything short of perfection is difficult to acknowledge. In 20 years as a Hawk fan, this was my best shot at going to the Rose Bowl. I'm bummed we aren't but I'm thankful for two amazing seasons.

Seriously though, I could do without the second shot at Chicago Hawkeye fans. We get it. You have to be born and raised in the state to be a true fan. Just like you have to be an alumn. Or a donor. Or name your first born Kinnick or Carver.

Well said, Jon. I'll admit that I've been pretty negative the last couple of days so thank you for being the voice of reason. I know the expectations going in won't be met, but this team still has a chance to finish 10-3! Yes, 10 wins. That's nothing to scoff at.

Wow. What a beautiful, well-written post. Jon Miller at his absolute best. You climbed Mt. Everest with this one.

I simply could not agree more.

I was at the game Saturday with several family members. It was a brutal, humbling, depressing loss. I was mad, but I didn't stay that way. Several Iowa players were in tears as they left the field. I witnessed it as I was standing next to the tunnel as they walked off the field. This loss hurt them more than any fan can ever know.

Plus, it was only a football game. This is not life and death. Some of the people on these boards (and posters on Facebook) are young people who have not had much life experience. The older you get, the easier it is to deal with a loss. It pales in comparison to the other things that happen to you in life as you approach the "golden years". It is just a game.

I thought Pat Fitzgerald was classy and complimentary in victory. He had some very nice things to say about the Iowa kids and Kirk Ferentz. Does he want to beat Iowa? Yes. Does he hate Iowa? I don't think so. He is a class coach and runs a great program. NW will be lucky to keep him long-term, I can tell you that.

I would respectfully point out that if Joe Paterno retires at PEnn State after this season, Penn State is going to throw the kitchen sink at Kirk Ferentz to try to hire him away from Iowa. He is the perfect fit for them. I pray that we will be able to keep this terrific coach at Iowa. Does Ferentz make mistakes? Of course he does, but all coaches make mistakes. He is dealing with 18 to 22 year old kids, who also make mistakes. I make mistakes in my job. Every day. The only difference is that 70,000 people are not looking over my shoulder, pointing out the mistakes I make.

I'm going to the game Saturday and I am going to cheer for our team, win or lose. This team deserves it. Oh, and by the way, we will be going to a bowl game. I'm excited about that as well.

Seriously though, I could do without the second shot at Chicago Hawkeye fans. We get it. You have to be born and raised in the state to be a true fan. Just like you have to be an alumn. Or a donor. Or name your first born Kinnick or Carver.

It's not a shot at Chicago Hawkeye fans.

It's about people that all of the sudden become an Iowa fan because that's where the tuition check gets sent, and have no history or background to understand just how good things have been with this group, and are into Iowa football just for the party of it. You dont have to be from Iowa to be a Hawkeye fan. You don't have to go to Iowa to be a Hawkeye fan. And people from Chicago suburbs, or other places, go to Iowa and become fans and are great additions to the family.

But a true Hawkeye fan, at least as I have come to know them, doesn't do nickel and dime crap like that.

Last edited:
I fully expect the fans to be there in full-force on Saturday, but the team is going to need more than fan support to win this game (based on what I have seen the last two games). This ain't Indiana or Northwestern walking through that tunnel boys, this is a very talented, hungry, motivated Buckeye squad that still has the Rose Bowl/Sugar Bowl in their sights.

I guess what I am saying is that Iowa fans will always support their team, and I do think that Iowa has a shot at knocking off OSU...but they are going to have to play much better better than they have in order to have a chance to win this game. If we start like we did against Indiana or Northwestern it could get ugly.

This one hurt because it effectively ended the slim hopes of going to the Rose Bowl. A win over the Buckeyes this week will be redemptive, for both the fans and the players. Come Saturday, I'll be way past this past weekend and ready for a good old Hawkeye ***-whuppin' on OSU. I know they have it in them. I know it.

I think they will play better. Right now, if I had to make a pick, I'd probably say Ohio State. But, by no means am I ruling out Iowa playing their best game of the season. This is not an elite Ohio State team. And I think their offense is easier to stop than Northwestern's, related to how Iowa plays defense. I really would rather face Pryor than Persa, based on the schemes they run.

It's about people that all of the sudden become an Iowa fan because that's where the tuition check gets sent, and have no history or background to understand just how good things have been with this group, and are into Iowa football just for the party of it. You dont have to be from Iowa to be a Hawkeye fan. You don't have to go to Iowa to be a Hawkeye fan.

But a true Hawkeye fan, at least as I have come to know them, doesn't do nickel and dime crap like that.

Agreed. I've got no problem with fans who are from the 'burbs, but also grew up Hawkeye fans, or the ones who come and do their homework on the team before criticizing. People who wouldn't have given the Hawks a second thought before coming to school don't have the right to blindly criticize this team. If they've got credible criticism, that's fine. But most often, 'fans' who send messages like the one Tyler received come from the bandwagon fan who didn't get what they expected when they got on the bandwagon.

PSU might come after a coach from last Saturday's game but it will not be Kirk Ferentz:

...but apparently his name has come up a lot here in Happy Valley. In fact, earlier this week a newspaper columnist in Altoona (which is about 30 miles away from PSU) speculated that if Paterno ever left PSU Fitz would be the perfect candidate, and if the money was right Fitz could possibly leave his alma mater for a much bigger stage.

Could Pat Fitzgerald ever replace Joe Paterno? - Inside Northwestern sports

Thanks Jon, I needed this. I'm going to share this with my daughter (18), to help her get some perspective back.

Very moving.

Sorry, got some dust in my eyes.

See you Saturday.

No doubt in my mind OSU will run a quick tempo offense like NW did, Tressel has said before that Pryor plays better in a semi-hurry up. The Iowa DL struggled badly with the tempo Saturday and that seems the best way to neutralize them. This isn't one of the top OSU teams of the past decade but is still good enough to go to and win a BCS game. I expect Iowa will come out fired up for Sr. day and the game will be decided in the 4th quarter....

No doubt in my mind OSU will run a quick tempo offense like NW did, Tressel has said before that Pryor plays better in a semi-hurry up. The Iowa DL struggled badly with the tempo Saturday and that seems the best way to neutralize them. This isn't one of the top OSU teams of the past decade but is still good enough to go to and win a BCS game. I expect Iowa will come out fired up for Sr. day and the game will be decided in the 4th quarter....

And there is no doubt in my mind that you cannot run it like they do, or like Michigan does. It's not what you do. You can go up tempo check with me, but that's nothing like the pace from Saturday. I hope OSU does do that, and decides to go away from their strengths.

Let the healing begin.

We were there when Rob Houghtlin split the uprights in '85. We were there a few weeks later as the dream died in the Horseshoe. We were there when UNLV came storming back in the second half and broke our hearts. We were there when Dallas went racing down the sidelines against the Boilermakers. We were there when Dean and Jess couldn't put UConn away and we had to say goodbye to Mr. Davis. We were there when Warren caught his first career touchdown pass, and when Marvin said he could beat his man in East Lansing.

Saturday, we'll be there when we drop those Buckeyes.

You're still the one, Hawkeyes. You're still the one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbH_sDyWZqo]YouTube - Orleans - Still The One -with lyrics[/ame]

It's about people that all of the sudden become an Iowa fan because that's where the tuition check gets sent, and have no history or background to understand just how good things have been with this group, and are into Iowa football just for the party of it. You dont have to be from Iowa to be a Hawkeye fan. You don't have to go to Iowa to be a Hawkeye fan. And people from Chicago suburbs, or other places, go to Iowa and become fans and are great additions to the family.

Then perhaps you should remove both of your comments about facebook posters likely being some Chicago suburb kid who happens to be an Iowa fan. I started off as one 20 years ago and, like most of them, have been a diehard since. If you're trying to make the point that these are bandwagon fans, simply use that term instead and it would save a lot of insult.