Hawkeye 2 Deeps for Saturday

HawkinGoferLand

I didn't see the actual 2-deeps posted anywhere, just some dialogue about Davis's injury and NFL potential.

1-f86d4a15ae.jpg

Our DL is so small.

Not much we can do about that now.....gotta dance with the girl that brung ya.

Which is why there has been a lot of talk about more blitzing, more press coverage, bringing down the safety more in run support, etc.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

A lot of inexperienced players listed. The good news is we will return a lot of starters for 2013 who gained valuable experience in 2012.

On Offense, we lose Vandy, Davis(not listed due to minor injury), Tobin and Ferentz to graduation. 3 are big blows, but I think we should be fine replacing JF and Tobin, and hopefully KD. It will take some time at C but we have Boffeli who'll be a SR in '13 and JUCO transfer Simmons. Hopefully Rudock will be as good as advertised or maybe Sokol ends up being the man.

On Defense, we lose two 1st year starters on D-line in Gaglione and Bigach, each of whom saw action in 2011 as reserves. We return everyone else on the 2-deeps at DL plus Alvis should be back healthy for SR campaign and we add Faith and Jaleel this fall.
We return everyone on the 2-deeps at all 3 LB positions. Getz, Poggi and Dibona aren't even listed due to injury, but they all return in 2013 as well.
We lose Hyde at corner, but return the other 3 DBs plus seem to have good depth in the backfield. We also lose Sleeper, Donatello and Castillo who are currently listed as back-ups and Jack Swanson who has never saw meaningful time on D. Additionally, we bring in some nice talent in FR class.

So by my count, we return 7 on Offense and 8 on Defense in 2013. Of course one thing is guaranteed, a lot will change in the next 17 months when the 2013 season gets underway lol.

I think the replacements at DL should prove to be an improvement in 2013 as may Tobin's replacement at LG as experience is gained. Probably take a step back at QB and WR due more so to experience than talent, although I'm probably shortchanging Vandy and Davis a bit. Hyde's shoes will be tough to fill out of the gate too.

Last edited:
Usually the defense dominates these things, because the time it takes the defenses to get up to speed generally is faster than the offenses. That's been pretty true to form in the few of these I've been to...

Having said that, I really hope that the offense struggles on Saturday. If they are able to move the ball on the #1 defense, admittedly still in a learning phase themselves, with the offense being revamped and having practiced in it 10 times or so, I think it would be an ill harbinger for the defense.

(Yes I know it's only spring ball, yes it looks only slightly like what we'll see in August, but still...)

anybody got a link to the original 2 deep so we can compare movement on the two. as i think the dline has moved some players around and i was trying to figure out why?

Carl Davis (300+ DT) and Dom Alvis (265+ DE) will address the size issue. I'm excited to see what some of the young guys will do...especially McMinn. Love that frame.

Hopefully our dlineman are quick and fast. Thus making the lack of size a non-issue, mitch king wasn't the biggest, but he was a beast. McMinn's frame reminds me of Jason Pierre-Paul's when he was at South Florida. If he can pass rush like JPP we have something special at DE.

Carl Davis (300 DT) and Dom Alvis (265 DE) will address the size issue. I'm excited to see what some of the young guys will do...especially McMinn. Love that frame.
Hopefully our dlineman are quick and fast. Thus making the lack of size a non-issue, mitch king wasn't the biggest, but he was a beast. McMinn's frame reminds me of Jason Pierre-Paul's when he was at South Florida. If he can pass rush like JPP we have something special at DE.

also if JVB can throw the ball like Aaron rodgers we have something special.

Carl Davis (300+ DT) and Dom Alvis (265+ DE) will address the size issue. I'm excited to see what some of the young guys will do...especially McMinn. Love that frame.

Exactly on C. Davis and Alvis. Carl Davis has to step up in a big way. He's in his 3rd year here and with his size he should be able to start playing with leverage. I've heard his attitude is good now that Kyak is gone. Also, Bigach and Cooper are over 280...that isn't small. Throw in Jaleel at 310 and size isn't an issue. It's whether we can bring some attitude. Alvis also appears to have added some weight and with the leg work he must be doing, he should be a solid 265 or 270 by fall.

I'm really hoping Jaleel gets in. I think he can help us. He's got the body...just depends on if he can handle the physical play.

Honestly, I like having a few DE who bring speed...like Spears for example. When was the last time we had speed rusher at DE...Andre Tippett?

Latest posts