Hawk scoring lull in 2nd half - how do they stop these?

uihawk82

To me it has been a trend with Fran's teams to go into fairly long scoring droughts usually at least once a half. Now why is that 1) not great shooters 2) not enough players who can create their own basket at a high rate 3) getting out physicalled by the other team, 4) being a turnover machine 5) getting away from their offense.

We have seen all of this. But in the ISU game with about 8-10 minutes left in the 2nd half or when they got that 20 point lead I thought ISU knew they were dead unless they went ultra thug which they did and the REFS and the hawks didnt respond well.

I thought for about 3 minutes the refs swallowed their whistles on ISU and it was enough to really disrupt Iowa, cause turnovers, push the offense away from the basket etc.

So how do the hawks stop 1-5 above or whatever reasons you have? This team could beat more teams playing the better defense they have been and by finding ways to stop the scoring droughts. I think for #3 above they need to make overplaying defenses pay by backdooring them, back screening them, running them through lots of screens then get that high % shot. Nothing more killer than making the team behind chase for the whole shot clock and then have someone bury a shot or dunk on them

The answer is pretty simple. Either recruit slashers that get to the rim. Something red face has never gotten here or feed the post with a true point...another critical part of a basketball team he’s never gotten

Make the extra pass and get the better to best shot available within the offense and don't settle for early shots. It coincides with Iowa becoming a turnover machine during those times.
It's always about this^^^^. People think basketball's a complicated game. It's not. Move the ball to move the defense, get a good shot. Rinse and repeat. It's a game of discipline.

To me it has been a trend with Fran's teams to go into fairly long scoring droughts usually at least once a half. Now why is that 1) not great shooters 2) not enough players who can create their own basket at a high rate 3) getting out physicalled by the other team, 4) being a turnover machine 5) getting away from their offense.

We have seen all of this. But in the ISU game with about 8-10 minutes left in the 2nd half or when they got that 20 point lead I thought ISU knew they were dead unless they went ultra thug which they did and the REFS and the hawks didnt respond well.

I thought for about 3 minutes the refs swallowed their whistles on ISU and it was enough to really disrupt Iowa, cause turnovers, push the offense away from the basket etc.

So how do the hawks stop 1-5 above or whatever reasons you have? This team could beat more teams playing the better defense they have been and by finding ways to stop the scoring droughts. I think for #3 above they need to make overplaying defenses pay by backdooring them, back screening them, running them through lots of screens then get that high % shot. Nothing more killer than making the team behind chase for the whole shot clock and then have someone bury a shot or dunk on them
I think you’ve got a summary here.

However, Iowa has a couple of great shooters in JBo and JW.

Fran’s substitution patterns has something to do with 1-2 & 5. I don’t know what he’s trying to do with some of his lineups and I don’t think those lineups do either.

TOs are obviously not an issue to Fran no matter how much he talks about it.

As far as getting pushed around by ISU? I think that is understandable for a team that isn’t used to being up by that much to lose focus. This team isn’t talented enough to lose focus.

Is see at the bottom of this page uihawk82 had another thread about this ...... in 2015.

So this is a program weakness = coaching problem.

1-2 and 5 would be a Fran substitution effect.

Turnovers have never been a big concern for Fran other than talking about it.

The solution to your summary would be to work on one of those things and get it handled. Then move on to the next.

Is see at the bottom of this page uihawk82 had another thread about this ...... in 2015.

So this is a program weakness = coaching problem.

1-2 and 5 would be a Fran substitution effect.

Turnovers have never been a big concern for Fran other than talking about it.

The solution to your summary would be to work on one of those things and get it handled. Then move on to the next.

Yeah this has been a concern in my observing the games over many years

In an ideal half court offensive possession I believe the ball should be reversed at least once and go into the post at least once.

All five players don't necessarily need to touch it because if your moving properly with and without the ball you should be able to get a good shot within four to five passes. If you can get the defense out of position with one pass that's a good possession.

Bottom line, make the defense work. If you're not making them work you're doing their job for them. The better the ball movement the better the chance of breaking down the defense.