Hawk Players wanted it; now must work to fix offense

Iowa was not which was sad to see. I don’t know what it is with senior nights but we’ve laid eggs the last two years. Different situations a little bit though, Purdue just kicked our teeth in and they shot so well maybe our guys thought it was a fluke. Illinois there was quite a bit of chirping going on at the end of that one.

We can’t control what Illinois does but my guess is they come out with a ton of energy. Hopefully Iowa can withstand that and then the tired legs catch up with them.

Yep, that's my hope too - withstand their momentum and first punch and let them wear themselves out with all the extra gusto they seem to be carrying into this game. Stay within striking distance and steal it at the end.

yep, if Joe and CJ aren't making shots, Iowa is easy to beat. That would be the case with any team in the country. I hate all the flack that Joe is getting, but he's playing badly so it's probably a little deserved. But think about this - last season he was one of the top 5 incoming players into the league and up until a month ago he was playing like a 1st or 2nd team All B1G player. Now he goes into to a funk and he's everything from terrible, not good enough, mentally weak, not good enough for the NBA.... vicious circles we run with.
I’ve been critical of Joe but I’ve also stuck up for him if that makes sense. I know the type of player he can be and that’s the frustrating part. Someone was trying to tell me he’s “average” which isn’t anywhere near reality. He was averaging like 16/7 in B1G play before this slump started.

The last few games I’ve been really pissed at Joe when watching. He’s mentally taking himself out of the game and it’s super painful to watch. I don’t know what the answer is, I think at this point Fran just needs to tell him if you’re not going to shoot open shots you’re coming to sit by me. Shoot the damn ball Joe!

JoeW has showed us for almost 2 seasons he is a really good Big 10 player. He needs to shoot his way out of the slump by not forcing shots when guys are up on him but by being ready to shoot on the catch, shot fake dribble once and shoot, or shot fake and drive hard to the rim to score or set up another player.

He can do it and it would be great starting Sunday. CJ seems more like an Energizer bunny who is on high power all the time so I dont see him getting down on himself.

JoeW has showed us for almost 2 seasons he is a really good Big 10 player. He needs to shoot his way out of the slump by not forcing shots when guys are up on him but by being ready to shoot on the catch, shot fake dribble once and shoot, or shot fake and drive hard to the rim to score or set up another player.

He can do it and it would be great starting Sunday. CJ seems more like an Energizer bunny who is on high power all the time so I dont see him getting down on himself.

Garza had a really bad slump last year too. Probably not quite as bad as Wieskamp is having. But it was pretty bad.

Joe has just been defended more closely the last few games and he hasn't figured out yet how to counter that. The other teams have been putting their best 1X1 defender on him, getting in his grill and are now getting in his head.

He's a long-strider and glider instead of being quick so he and Fran have to figure out ways to get him freer and get his confidence back.

True. And it’s Senior Night. Sound familiar? Hint Iowa vs. Purdue.
I don’t get that. Iowa laying an egg in a big game has no bearing on whether Illinois will do the same. It’s irrelevant.

If the current score holds Illinois might be playing for a share of the B1G title. Think that gym will be loud?

I don’t get that. Iowa laying an egg in a big game has no bearing on whether Illinois will do the same. It’s irrelevant.

If the current score holds Illinois might be playing for a share of the B1G title. Think that gym will be loud?
If you can’t see the parallels then I can’t help you. Iowa lost at Purdue and was amped for the rematch. Iowa was going for an undefeated conference season at home. It was Senior Night. Think it was loud? It was. Did it matter? No. And Purdue had 2 extra days to prep and rest. Iowa has 2 extra days to prep and rest. It’s Senior Night for Illinois. Illinois will be amped for the rematch. Will it matter? Maybe not. But you suggesting it’s an inconceivable comparison is ridiculous.

If you can’t see the parallels then I can’t help you. Iowa lost at Purdue and was amped for the rematch. Iowa was going for an undefeated conference season at home. It was Senior Night. Think it was loud? It was. Did it matter? No. And Purdue had 2 extra days to prep and rest. Iowa has 2 extra days to prep and rest. It’s Senior Night for Illinois. Illinois will be amped for the rematch. Will it matter? Maybe not. But you suggesting it’s an inconceivable comparison is ridiculous.
I totally understand the parallels that you and others have drawn. The thing I don’t understand is why Iowa laying an egg has any bearing on Illinois doing the same. They are completely different teams with different coaches and different players.

Now the tired legs argument, that’s one I can get behind.

I totally understand the parallels that you and others have drawn. The thing I don’t understand is why Iowa laying an egg has any bearing on Illinois doing the same. They are completely different teams with different coaches and different players.

Now the tired legs argument, that’s one I can get behind.
It's an advantage when you have 5 days off and your opponent only has 3 off. Of course having an advantage doesn't guarantee a win. But it does help. When we played Purdue, they didn't shoot our lights out. They beat us in the exact manner that you would beat someone when taking advantage of a longer break between games. By looking like the more energetic team. They took advantage of their.....advantage (I sound like austin powers). It doesn't mean we for sure will take advantage, but we do for sure have the advantage.

It's an advantage when you have 5 days off and your opponent only has 3 off. Of course having an advantage doesn't guarantee a win. But it does help. When we played Purdue, they didn't shoot our lights out. They beat us in the exact manner that you would beat someone when taking advantage of a longer break between games. By looking like the more energetic team. They took advantage of their.....advantage (I sound like austin powers). It doesn't mean we for sure will take advantage, but we do for sure have the advantage.
Yes and I agree with the tired legs argument.

What I said In a response to ingood was “I also have to imagine Illinois is going to be very fired up after the way the last game ended.”

What Windsor said was “And it’s Senior Night. Sound familiar? Hint Iowa vs. Purdue.”

That I don’t understand. Just because Iowa laid a stinker on Senior night in a “revenge” game has no bearing on whether Illinois will.

Context is key. If you want to talk about Illinois having limited rest (which wasn’t mentioned in the original Windsor post I responded to), I’m buying that argument.

Yes and I agree with the tired legs argument.

What I said In a response to ingood was “I also have to imagine Illinois is going to be very fired up after the way the last game ended.”

What Windsor said was “And it’s Senior Night. Sound familiar? Hint Iowa vs. Purdue.”

That I don’t understand. Just because Iowa laid a stinker on Senior night in a “revenge” game has no bearing on whether Illinois will.

Context is key. If you want to talk about Illinois having limited rest (which wasn’t mentioned in the original Windsor post I responded to), I’m buying that argument.

I followed the context. Windsor and I had been discussing the similarities in time between games already. That's where is original post to you came in. I'm not even sure if it was in this thread or not, but I recognized his post to you for what it was. Understandable how you didnt thi since tmyku weren't involved in our convo.

I followed the context. Windsor and I had been discussing the similarities in time between games already. That's where is original post to you came in. I'm not even sure if it was in this thread or not, but I recognized his post to you for what it was. Understandable how you didnt thi since tmyku weren't involved in our convo.
Glad someone was tracking. I was being brief in the initial post because I thought rest and other variables were implied.

The Iowa vs Illinois game on Sunday is what BT basketball is all about. And, we are right there. Go Hawks!

Bottom line is Iowa will need supreme hustle and commitment on Sunday as I think Illini team is more athletic, not necessarily skilled, but maybe faster in the guard and wing courts, etc.

Hustle rebounds and forcing turnovers and doing ball saves will need to be won by Iowa. Win turnovers and assists because assists means players are hustling to get open.

Now the Illinois vs. Iowa game is for a double bye. Both teams will be motivated. One is more rested with more prep time. The other is at home.

I looked at minutes played last night...largely because it felt like Dosunmu was carrying the team. He played 37 minutes.

Dosunmu- 37
Feliz - 32
Frazier - 31
Williams - 31

Illinois shoots 44.1% from the field and 31% from 3...41.4% and 36.4% in our 1st game.

Latest posts