Hawk perimeter D looking much better

uihawk82

So far. I watched the last two games which were against very good guards and the hawks look much better hedging the high post screen, coming together to stop penetration, and recovering to shooters.

I hope this continues as the offense still seems pretty good

So far. I watched the last two games which were against very good guards and the hawks look much better hedging the high post screen, coming together to stop penetration, and recovering to shooters.

Yeah there's only been a few times where they hedged poorly rather than almost every time. Even when they did it the last few days the rest of the team bailed them out with hustle, which had been lacking

Watch this hedge =(

Last edited:

It helps having cmac and Dailey at 6’5 and 6’6 plus wieskamp at 6’6 who also plays great defense . Our 3-2 zone might be the key ingredient

You have to play defense in this conference, if you're going to win more games than you lose. It's always been that way. All of the great BIG coaches over the years had defense first attitudes. Knight, Keady, Ryan, Izzo, etc. I knew it was possible to get this kind of turn around but I would have bet heavily against it. I'm really curious to know who the team leaders are in practice. It's one thing for the coaches to place emphasis on defense but it usually takes player buy in to get this kind of change. That usually means one or two players take personal responsibility on the court.
Either way, it sure is a lot more fun to watch and more fun to see the Ws.
I'm gonna take my kids to a few home games this season. I haven't wanted to do that in a long time.