Hawk Fans' Cheering Guide to Iowa in the Playoffs

STILLBUSTER

EXPECTING the Hawks to take care of their business and go to Indy at 12-0. Considering the irrational double standard that the Committee displayed in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] poll, the ongoing national misperception and the reality of the upcoming schedule, I don’t like the direction the chatter is going. As mind blowing as it might seem, all of a sudden, not only does Iowa need to be 13-0 but they might need others to lose??

Here are this weekend’s College Football America playoff games for the teams that could impact the Hawks. (Thanx to DYK for initially putting this together in the “Big Weekend†thread.)

BOLD teams are who Hawkeye fans should be cheering for.

#1 CLEMSON vs #16 FSU – Sat, 2:30, ABC
- Tough to pick but here’s my logic: Clemson prolly wins out after FSU. 1-Loss, against another ranked team and they don’t drop out of top 4, anyway. However, if FSU wins, they jump up the ladder and, possibly, in front of Hawks due to their signature win over #1. Hawks don’t need anyone sneaking up from below, so, let’s just put the nail in FSU’s coffin, right now.
(FSU can help the Hawks by beating #10 Florida, in a couple weeks.)

#2 LSU @ #4 ‘Bama – Sat, 7:00 CBS
- This is a no brainer. NO ONE, not even the ESECN boosters, let alone, on the committee, could justify keeping a 2-loss ‘Bama team in the playoff picture. However, EVERY ONE of THEM would easily keep both of them in the top 6 as 1-loss teams.

#3 OSU vs MINNY – Sat, 7:00, ABC
- I really don’t care, here; I think both MSU and Michigan are gonna eliminate teh OSU, anyway. I’ll go with Minny to get their “sig†win out of the way. When Hawks reclaim Floyd in an epic, retaliatory thrashing, it’ll look a little better.

#5 Notre Dame @ PITT - Sat, 11:00, ABC
- Duh! Two words: Strength of Schedule!
- Two more words: Two losses!

#6 Baylor @ K STATE – Thurs nite, FS1
- Say, Bill, could you dial up some semblance of D … Jeff Long needs a cold shower to get over Baylor. I’d rather just dispose of this paper tiger, once and for all, this week.
(If not this week, no worries … Baylor’s gonna have at least 2 losses once they have to start playing football over the next 4 weeks – Ok, @ Ok St, @ TCU, Texas.)

#7 MICHIGAN ST @ Nebby – Sat, 6:00, ESECN
- Is it possible to have any less mention of such a highly ranked team? WHEN the Hawks get to Indy, I want it to be against an undefeated Sparty. That’s a more likely W than trying to contain Elliot and Barrett and Miller.

#8 TCU @ #14 OK STATE – Sat, 2:30, FOX
- As with Baylor, the Committee is smitten with the big-O. At the same time, I don’t think they are that stupid to try to pass them off as a legit 1-loss teams. Since they have a slightly lighter schedule, let’s give them their loss, right now, and drop them (along with da Bears) out of the top 10.
As for Ok State, they will be cannibalized in the Big12 implosion during November, still having to play Ok and Baylor.

#10 Florida vs Vandy – (who cares)
- Not much to say, here. Florida shouldn’t jump Iowa by beating Vandy. For that matter, they shouldn’t jump anyone, considering the finish at SC and vs FAU. They’ll get a boost if they win out but FSU is gonna do the Hawks a favor and knock out the Gator threat in a couple weeks.

#11 Stanford @ COLORADO – Sat. noon, PAC12 Network
- Stanford is THEE biggest threat to jump the Hawks. They lost early (to another ranked team) and are trying to go “2014 OSU†into the playoffs. The national media are on the Cardinal bandwagon and trying to talk them in, as well.
At this point, you cheer against Standford, every week. Colorado isn’t likely to pull the upset but, fortunately, Oregon, Cal or the Domers will give them their 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] loss.

Just for fun …
When the dust settles, Clemson, LSU and Iowa are the only undefeated teams.

Mixing what I hope will happen with what I think will happen, here’s my playoff projection:

#1 Clemson vs #4 Iowa / #2 LSU vs #3 Notre Dame

Yep, just another weekend of sitting around in my underwear and eating chips, watching football....and cheering on all the bolded teams, I love it.

Also rooting for
Auburn over Texas AM - get them out of the top 25
Missouri of Miss State - Same Reason
Northwestern over Penn St - Helps to have NW ranked
Navy over Memphis - Shut up David Pollack

This weekend is huge for Iowa. An absolute must win game. I don't want to miss out on the joy of rooting for all these teams to lose. Let alone the joy of seeing where we are ranked next week after all this goes down.

#2 LSU @ #4 ‘Bama – Sat, 7:00 CBS
- This is a no brainer. NO ONE, not even the ESECN boosters, let alone, on the committee, could justify keeping a 2-loss ‘Bama team in the playoff picture. However, EVERY ONE of THEM would easily keep both of them in the top 6 as 1-loss teams.
Maybe not a complete no-brainer.

Imagine this scenario:
(1) Alabama beats LSU and wins the rest of their games
(2) Ole Miss wins the rest of their games (including the SEC championship game)
(3) Memphis wins the rest of their games

Could the committee justify having Alabama higher than the SEC champ Ole Miss? Could the committee put a 2-loss Ole Miss in the final 4?

Really the only team Iowa fans really need to cheer for outside of themselves is whoever is playing Ohio state. After watching hills have a decent second half as a mobile QB, I realized that Iowa has a much better chance of beating Michigan state in a big ten championship game than JT Barrett.

Latest posts