Have to give Fran Props

I liked his quote in the paper about switching to a zone. He said that was the crossroads in the game. We were down 11 and at that point it could have gone from 11 to 21 down or we could go from 11 to 1 down. We went from 11 to 1 down. That is coaching for you. Sometimes you make the right call and sometimes you don't.

Switching to the zone was on the money last night.

That was a huge move... Sampson and Minnesota were killing Iowa down low and with 15 ft jump shots. When Iowa sagged back a tad and forced Minnesota to shoot more threes it was huge. Minnesota's game is to get the ball down low and penetrate, they are not a three point shooting team. Hoffarber is gone.

With added depth Fran is able to start in game coaching which is nice as well. At one point he yanked Bryce after he turned the ball over trying to hit Archie with a pass in a pick and roll game. The execution is not what Fran was upset with it was Bryce's choice to pass Archie the ball 15 feet from the hoop. Archie can't shoot and can't dribble 3-4 times to get to the basket. The job of the PG is to get guys the ball at the proper place and time. I could tell Fran was upset with that.

Also Fran yanked Basabe after one trip on the defensive end right when Basabe had just checked into the game. Mel was not playing proper defense and Fran took him out.

It is nice to be able to have some depth. Fran also too May out toward the end of the game when Iowa failed to get the ball up the court. He put Bryce in so you could have Bryce, Marble and Gatens as the ball handlers as they handle the ball better than May.

It's nice to get more and more depth to actually watch Fran get the chance to coach.

I mean it helped that Minnesota couldn't make a three but thats the dice you roll
And you could make an argument that it was lucky, but given that Minny doesn't have great shooters, it worked out well for them and they stayed in it even when Iowa knew they were going to have to hit threes.

I would much rather see a team forced to launch threes than lay ups! Going zone was huge! Make them shoot you back to man. Find a way to get the rebounds after the miss and they win by 10.

Latest posts