Haters gonna hate

Rudock had great receivers? Good one!

Now name them.

I'm pretty sure he meant in relation to the ones we have this year, which I would agree with. Rudock could only make the easy plays that were there. He never made something out of nothing. This year's pass protection and wide recievers were considerably worse than last year. Having a qb that's incapable of making something out of nothing would have resulted in at least a 3 loss regular season. And that's if the defense doesn't pack it in after losing to ISU and Pitt.

You obviously have an excellent grasp of football schematics, much more than the average recliner occupant. All these statements seem perfectly legitimate. I'll have to keep an eye out for your posts.

Thanks Undefeated. Done quite a bit of coaching in the past (mostly on offense) and I definitely watch/see games a little differently than prior to coaching.

A little something for the haters who constantly wave the salary flag:

Big Ten coach of the year — $50,000
National coach of the year — $100,000
Rose Bowl - $250,000
Top 10 — $250,000
Big Ten title or undefeated conference record: $250,000
$900,000 total bonus pay

Top 15 Bonus - $175,000 - split among all assistants (approx. $15,000 each for all 9 assistants & $8,750 for Seth, video guy, team trainer, others)

Greg Davis $515,036
14% raise top ten $72,105
1 month’s salary - Big Ten title ($42,920)
2.5 month’s salary - Rose Boiwl ($107,300)
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

Phil Parker $515,036
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

Chris Doyle $515,036
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

Brian Ferentz $317,500
14% raise top ten $44,450
1 month’s salary - Big Ten title $25,458
2.5 month’s salary - Rose Boiwl $63,645
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

Chris White $294,000
14% raise top ten $41,160
1 month’s salary - Big Ten title $24,500
2.5 month’s salary - Rose Boiwl $61,250
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

LaVar Woods $250,000
14% raise top ten $35,000
1 month’s salary - Big Ten title $20,833
2.5 month’s salary - Rose Boiwl $52,083
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

Bobby Kennedy $305,000
14% raise top ten $42,700
1 month’s salary - Big Ten title $25,417
2.5 month’s salary - Rose Boiwl $63,563
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

Jim Reid $335,000
14% raise top ten $46,900 *(left for BC)
1 month’s salary - Big Ten title $27,917
2.5 month’s salary - Rose Boiwl $69,893
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

Reese Morgan $317,500
14% raise top ten $44,450
1 month’s salary - Big Ten title $25,458
2.5 month’s salary - Rose Boiwl $63,645
Top 15 Bonus - $15,000

Seth Wallace $200,000
14% raise top ten $28,000
1 month’s salary - Big Ten title $16,667
2.5 month’s salary - Rose Boiwl $41,668
Top 15 Bonus - $8,750

Total Bonuses: $3,042,107
Total pay raises: $452,075 (does not include $46,900 for Jim Reid who resigned to accept job at BC)

I was at the game and there was little cheer about, so I just took in the sights, scenery and the atmosphere.
I watched the game on TV, the other night, and it was a lot of self-inflicted mistakes (poor tackling, missed blocks, dropped passes, etc.).
I felt better about the overall season seeing how bad we played in that bowl game.
9-3 feels attainable next season, which would probably be Outback Bowl (against Arkansas?).
I've been to 3 of the Outback Bowls and always enjoyed the bowl week, there.

^I think it's a crime that BF makes the same amount of money as Reese Morgan.

Couldn't agree with you more. This has always astounded me. Morgan must really be a decent, generous guy. He even moved over to the d-line so BF could run the o-line. This after Morgan developed several NFL players.

Great season. Seriously, neutralize three plays; first play, punt return and pick six..........a much more competitive game.

Positive take away from getting crushed is they won't be over rated to start next season. This game should make them better...

Wadley as the starting RB could make a huge difference to this team.
Meh. All three plays were indicative of Iowa's lack of athleticism against Stanford.

In hindsight, what should've Iowa done on every punt? Punt it out of bounds or at least high enough for a fair catch. At least, almost every kickoff was kicked out of the endzone. Double team McCaffrey maybe? Maybe jam him at the line of scrimmage? On the pick 6, CJ lost composure and Iowa's receivers couldn't get much separation until Stanford called off the dogs and played Iowa style zone/prevent pass defense that allowed Vandy to score.

Iowa's lack of athleticism lost the game. We need recruits and some coaches who will try to compensate for these shortcomings.

Meh. All three plays were indicative of Iowa's lack of athleticism against Stanford.

In hindsight, what should've Iowa done on every punt? Punt it out of bounds or at least high enough for a fair catch. At least, almost every kickoff was kicked out of the endzone. Double team McCaffrey maybe? Maybe jam him at the line of scrimmage? On the pick 6, CJ lost composure and Iowa's receivers couldn't get much separation until Stanford called off the dogs and played Iowa style zone/prevent pass defense that allowed Vandy to score.

Iowa's lack of athleticism lost the game. We need recruits and some coaches who will try to compensate for these shortcomings.

For this reason alone, I'm not confident in the kicking game next year. We had so few kickoffs run back against us this year that our kickoff team looked really great.

Bad omens for me:

* Words were barely out of the sideline reporters mouth about Lomax struggling with a knee issue and the next thing we know he's locked up on McCaffrey with no bracket or deep help. Also, did we learn nothing from David Johnson smoking us a couple years ago? You can't give a guy with that much ability a 2 way go with all that green to work with.

* What was the deal with going to the gun on 3rd and 2 and then again on 3rd and 2 (or 3) the very next time?

* On the first (I think) 3rd and 2 play we run a hitch to Smith vs. press coverage. I would venture to guess more than a few schools at the D-1 level have this in their arsenal (I know I did at a significantly lower level of coaching)...but against aggressive press coverage it's a VERY low percentage play to try to make a throw to a 'standing' receiver. Anyone ever heard the adage run vs. man and sit vs. zone? In my offenses (and in most offenses whose clinics I've attended) will check to slant or fade in that case, and in a lot of cases it's not even a check the QB has to make. It's a route conversion the receiver makes once he sees the coverage.../soapbox. It just signified to me that in that case we were going to keep trying to slam that square peg into the round hole, probabilities be damned.

* There was a brief glimmer of hope when we got Stanford into third and 9 on their first "real" drive of the game...we had numbers on the smoke screen to McCaffrey, Fisher had a golden chance to stop the play for no gain and he didn't really even come close to making a play and McCaffrey gets 12-15 yards.

* I haven't watched it a 2nd time (not a masochist :)) but I was thinking the pick six was the same play we run several times a game, where we have a TE and two receivers lined up in a "Trey" formation and the inside 2 guys run outs and the outside guy takes the top off to clear it out. As far as I'm concerned we should almost never throw to the inside receiver (unless it's soft cover 3 and the flat man is occupied with the TE). We did, and not only did Stanford jump the route, but CJ was late with the throw and it wasn't even a good throw to boot.

Those plays gave me the unfortunate feeling that:
* We weren't going to be able to old Kirk/new Kirk/any Kirk our way out of this one
* The stuff we've done all year (and gotten away with it because of our charmin-soft schedule) wasn't going to work terribly well
* We still lack any sort of creativity or explosiveness on offense, especially when matched against a defense that DOES bring speed/athleticism
* While I didn't think we'd shut McCaffrey down, I had no inclination that he would embarrass us the way we did

Amen to this. We didn't do anything that forced Stanford to adjust. Throwing first to set up the run and throw on 1st down would have helped. It is the long running offensively philosophy that I'm afraid won't change.

12 wins and a Big Ten West championship. It really was a fantastic year. I think this team emptied the tank against Michigan State and didn't have much left for a very good Stanford team

Latest posts