Hate to bring it up but....

ISUhawk

Mike Stoops was just on Rome and was asked about game changing plays last Saturday. He said that the blocked PAT was a monster psychological change for his team and kept them in it as if they were done had it not got blocked. Sounds to me like if the coach was thinking it was over the players would have too. I seriously think we would have won that game if we made that PAT...makes me sick

Keep you head up and looking forward. Rematch in rosebowl potential. I'll take a KF coached team in Jan over Stoops. Did you see the Game against NEB last year?

Keep you head up and looking forward. Rematch in rosebowl potential. I'll take a KF coached team in Jan over Stoops. Did you see the Game against NEB last year?

Very good point...I think if we had more time to prepare we wouldn't have had the stupid mistakes and possibly could have got some pressure on foles like we did to Ga Tech...

I said the same thing at the time. I mean Arizona goes down a point after having led the entire game. Thats a soul crusher. I mean Arizona would then need to press down the field to get a field goal. It's alot easier to play when you are tied rather than behind late in the game. (7 Min). Yeah that PAT was huge.

I said the same thing at the time. I mean Arizona goes down a point after having led the entire game. Thats a soul crusher. I mean Arizona would then need to press down the field to get a field goal. It's alot easier to play when you are tied rather than behind late in the game. (7 Min). Yeah that PAT was huge.

There is no way they would have went for that long pass when down one...plus our D would have been even more jacked up even though they already were

I was having my first non-bad day since the game. Now its back to a bad one.
Thanks a lot.
I agree with your analysis.

I was flippin thru the stations and heard that interview also. Stoops also said that it was a fluke play that our D-lineman (Binns) was just standing there at the line of scrimmage out of position and intercepted the ball for a pick six. Give me a break!

Commentators kept bring that game up...endless!!! Who Cares!!! I dont remember it but apparently the bug eaters kicked the crap out of the Mildcats

I've been saying that since they blocked it. Missing that PAT killed us. We had huge momentum from prater diving on the muffed punt, McNutt's great TD catch and then Binns' INT. Taking the lead would have been the cap... but... that's not what happened. Arizona was able to avoid giving up the lead. I think that really lit a fire in their *****. It was a tie game, they just had to win the rest of the way.

Still can't believe the Hawks would allow them to beat us that soundly the rest of the way though, but it happened.

This whole thread is spot on and I have been saying this since the minute the kick was blocked. As a home team, when you are tied with the ball the pressure is off. Not to mention the momentum Iowa would have had after just coming back from 20 down and taking the lead.
AZ would not have thrown that deep pass on 1st down if they were down 1. Maybe they throw it on 2nd or 3rd down, but then Sash is likely in position too. I cannot overstate how important that blocked PAT was.
It also makes me angry that ESPN did not show a replay of it and the announcers did not talk about how big of a play that was.

Very interesting. Well, KF (and virtually every coach) always says football is a game of inches. In this case it was the inch or two of the finger or fingers that tipped the PAT.

I was flippin thru the stations and heard that interview also. Stoops also said that it was a fluke play that our D-lineman (Binns) was just standing there at the line of scrimmage out of position and intercepted the ball for a pick six. Give me a break!

+1
There are no flukes on Iowa's defense. Binns was playing his assignment, dropping back in zone to the wide side. Perfect play by him. Stoops is a moron. He was just trying to act like they had complete control of that game.
Oh, and like Jon said on Sunday, that deep pass by Arizona was perfect, two or three inches longer, it's incomplete, 6 to 8 inches shorter, it's probably intercepted. That perfect of placement of the throw is more likely a fluke than Binn's play.

Last edited:

And let me guess, he didn't think the pick 6 by Wade a was fluke that hit the McNutt in his hands and bounced right into Wade's arms, if McNutt catches that it might not have been a TD but it would have been 1st and goal for Iowa as McNutt would have made it inside the 10.

I'm curious, did Stoops acutally say it was a fluke play? Because after watching the game again, you could tell that was Binn's responsibility, he read his keys, a very good play on his part. I would be interested to hear the breakdown on that play.

There is no way they would have went for that long pass when down one...plus our D would have been even more jacked up even though they already were

Are you saying the D wasn't Jacked up after we tied it. Down 27-7 and comeback and tie it. The D was Jacked. I also bet Arizona does not change any of the playcalling had Iowa gone up by one.

Not going to dwell on what ifs. Time to move on!!

Latest posts