Has there ever been a more boring college football season?

peerok

I'm not talking about just Iowa football, but college football in general.

For starters, Alabama has been ranked number one all year long. Not much change in the top 5 or 6 either. I don't ever remember a season where there has been fewer upsets or surprising scores. There hasn't really been any cinderella story or a team come out of nowhere. I guess you could put Washington State in this category, but thats about it.

Also, many of the conference division champs were decided with two or three weeks to go. Clemson, Alabama, Goergia, and Northwestern all had their divisions sewn up a while ago.

The heisman race has never really been a race. Its been Tua's to lose all season long. All he really had to do was stay healthy and have Alabama keep winning. Nobody else has risen up to challege Tua for the heisman. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being one of the most lopsided vote ever.

With all this said, watch there be all kinds of chaos this week and the following week in the conference championship games, but I really don't see it happening.

I'm not talking about just Iowa football, but college football in general.

For starters, Alabama has been ranked number one all year long. Not much change in the top 5 or 6 either. I don't ever remember a season where there has been fewer upsets or surprising scores. There hasn't really been any cinderella story or a team come out of nowhere. I guess you could put Washington State in this category, but thats about it.

Also, many of the conference division champs were decided with two or three weeks to go. Clemson, Alabama, Goergia, and Northwestern all had their divisions sewn up a while ago.

The heisman race has never really been a race. Its been Tua's to lose all season long. All he really had to do was stay healthy and have Alabama keep winning. Nobody else has risen up to challege Tua for the heisman. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being one of the most lopsided vote ever.

With all this said, watch there be all kinds of chaos this week and the following week in the conference championship games, but I really don't see it happening.
At least Alabama chucks the pigskin all over the field . There is nothing more boring than watching Nebraska in the 90’s dominate their conference and win 3 national titles running the fucking option . That was some boring ass shit.

At least Alabama chucks the pigskin all over the field . There is nothing more boring than watching Nebraska in the 90’s dominate their conference and win 3 national titles running the fucking option . That was some boring ass shit.
I hate Nebraska just as much as the next guy, but I actually like watching option football when its working. Maybe just because its different. The thing I hate about today's passing offenses is that the defense doesn't have a chance. If a DB touches a receiver, he gets called for pass interference, but receivers always get away with pushing off. The DB is supposed to have just as much right to the ball as the receiver, but the refs never call it that way.

I hate Nebraska just as much as the next guy, but I actually like watching option football when its working. Maybe just because its different. The thing I hate about today's passing offenses is that the defense doesn't have a chance. If a DB touches a receiver, he gets called for pass interference, but receivers always get away with pushing off. The DB is supposed to have just as much right to the ball as the receiver, but the refs never call it that way.
Agreed. The new rules catering to the offense has ruined the sport . Don’t even get me started on the targeting rules. Georgia tech runs a variation of the wing T . I think that’s fun to watch as well as Army running that version . The straight up option I have to pass on.

You think they call pass interference all the time? There is a ton of holding and PI that never gets called.

Losing is boring > Bama monopoly boring

Can’t tell me iowa hasn’t played in some exciting football games this season. It sucks they’ve lost all the exciting ones (except ISU)

(And yes, of course the NW games wasn’t exciting even though it was close)

But with no signature wins and 4 close losses —- from the satellite view, yeah, kinda boring.

Some of the off-the-field stuff has been interesting, the Ohio State rolling meltdown, or slow arriving failures like Bobby Petrino imploding or some big name teams stuck in doldrums like Miami, Tennessee, but that is like years before that had good football too.

Iowa beat Penn State 6-4 at Penn State in 2004? I was driving through West Virginia and listening on the radio. That was kind of boring but Iowa won at Kirk Ball.

Kirk has now lost, what, 5 in a row to Penn State. That is boring and sad since Kirk "owned PSU" for a time.

I got to watch the Packers tie the Vikings this year at Lambeau. I think most of the fans thought there couldn't be a tie so it was very quiet + boring.

Iowa football this year has been boring and predictable. Teams take on the personality of the head coach.

I don't think I have watched a non Iowa game so I can't speak about the top teams.

Perhaps the Nebraska game will be exciting! Reports are that if Iowa wins, the team might end up in San Diego for a bowl game. (I hope the coaches and team aren't aware of this, yikes, let them know it is either Detroit or Peoria)

When you do anything the same for a certain period of time it gets boring. You all know that, sex with same partner, same boring ass job every day (a buddy calls work day jail), watching KFs offense (and I was very vocal about it in 2012-14, we got a better product lately with some blowouts and big wins but still the same), sort of the same day to day.

We will see how the crowds are at kinnick over the next few years. If the team is not very good next year with 9-10 wins I can see 2020 and beyond being much smaller crowds. The tailgating and experience is still good but that will stop being so if the record heads toward 6-6.

Time to cut bait????? Who knows. Boy a Mike Leach type coach could really shake up Kinnick

Alabama "chucks the pigskin all over the field"? They have 211 total pass attempts in 11 games. That works out to 19.2 attempts per game. I'd hardly call 20 pass plays a game "chucking it all over the field". To compare that, Iowa has 349 total pass attempts in 11 games. That works out to 31.8 attempts per game.

Alabama "chucks the pigskin all over the field"? They have 211 total pass attempts in 11 games. That works out to 19.2 attempts per game. I'd hardly call 20 pass plays a game "chucking it all over the field". To compare that, Iowa has 349 total pass attempts in 11 games. That works out to 31.8 attempts per game.
I wasn’t saying Alabama throws the ball alot. When they do they go all over the field . 80 percent of our passes are 10 yards or less. Location was what I was talking about. We play a somewhat boring style of football.

Last edited:

Efficiency

Just like the NBA, sad when week 1 you already know who's in the final.
What can they do really besides expand the playoffs and hope for upsets. Those teams are just damn good
Sad to say, but in MLB, NBA, CFB, etc. there are a few teams that can compete for a national title, the rest of them simply provide a "schedule' for them to compete with until the playoffs and one of the chosen, is crowned. Sure there are exceptions but the Pirates, Buffalo Bills, Twins, etc... Problem is most of the owners make tons of money without putting the effort or $$$ into winning. In Iowa, that Kirk standby, of 7-5, 8-4 creates longevity, but little hope for anything more. Bonus, contract extension, bowl "win", more legacy/longevity "wins" and a pulpit to preach out of chastising any who are upset with another season of "winning." Honestly, I can't see how so many people chuck out so much money to go and watch the vanilla in person. Paying for pain doesn't seem appealing.

The 1869 college football season only had two games, each between Rutgers and Princeton. They followed association football rules from England, so there was no throwing or carrying the ball. I know people like to romanticize it but it sounds a little boring compared to the modern game.

When you do anything the same for a certain period of time it gets boring. You all know that, sex with same partner, same boring ass job every day (a buddy calls work day jail), watching KFs offense (and I was very vocal about it in 2012-14, we got a better product lately with some blowouts and big wins but still the same), sort of the same day to day.

We will see how the crowds are at kinnick over the next few years. If the team is not very good next year with 9-10 wins I can see 2020 and beyond being much smaller crowds. The tailgating and experience is still good but that will stop being so if the record heads toward 6-6.

Time to cut bait????? Who knows. Boy a Mike Leach type coach could really shake up Kinnick

This song has been sung by KF critics for years. Still out of tune...