Has the "Curse" been lifted?

SomersHawk

I knew it'd been so long I couldn't remember the last time, but hearing that was the Hawk's first last second basket since '08 is nuts! I've grown accustomed to accepting the fact we don't make last second shots we just give them up but didn't realize it had been THAT LONG. We have had a ton of attempts at game-winners since '08 that we obviously missed them all and you'd think a team would ACCIDENTLY make ONE in that amount of time. So just maybe the curse that was put upon Hawkeye Basketball when Tom Davis was fired has been satisfied and we can expect that the worm has now turned in our favor! Also when you consider the fact that MN last bucket didn't count and rip our hearts out like normal, that's actually 2 last second shots in the same Game that went our way. That's a HUGE barrier this Team of HAWKS just stepped over and reason for serious optimism. GO HAWKS!

I knew it'd been so long I couldn't remember the last time, but hearing that was the Hawk's first last second basket since '08 is nuts! I've grown accustomed to accepting the fact we don't make last second shots we just give them up but didn't realize it had been THAT LONG. We have had a ton of attempts at game-winners since '08 that we obviously missed them all and you'd think a team would ACCIDENTLY make ONE in that amount of time. So just maybe the curse that was put upon Hawkeye Basketball when Tom Davis was fired has been satisfied and we can expect that the worm has now turned in our favor! Also when you consider the fact that MN last bucket didn't count and rip our hearts out like normal, that's actually 2 last second shots in the same Game that went our way. That's a HUGE barrier this Team of HAWKS just stepped over and reason for serious optimism. GO HAWKS!

I'd say no, as Minnesota still went on a wild run of consecutive shots made in the second half. How many times can you see that and not go crazy? Everything they threw up went in for about 10 minutes and some of that stuff had no business going in. It just does.

Hopefully, Uthoff taking control is a sign to his teammates that you can still win when the other team gets hot. When teams are on a run...especially at the guard position...I just hope Gesell is on the floor...he can play with anyone defensively at the guard position right now. Guys will beat you now and then, that happens, but right now, he's making guys work really, really hard to get by him or even get a shot off. The play he made where he cut off the Minnesota dude, then blocked it was beautiful.

I'd say no, as Minnesota still went on a wild run of consecutive shots made in the second half. How many times can you see that and not go crazy? Everything they threw up went in for about 10 minutes and some of that stuff had no business going in. It just does.

Hopefully, Uthoff taking control is a sign to his teammates that you can still win when the other team gets hot. When teams are on a run...especially at the guard position...I just hope Gesell is on the floor...he can play with anyone defensively at the guard position right now. Guys will beat you now and then, that happens, but right now, he's making guys work really, really hard to get by him or even get a shot off. The play he made where he cut off the Minnesota dude, then blocked it was beautiful.

I remark along that line to my wife during Iowa games. It can pretty much be anybody -- but someone goes absolutely nuts and can't miss shots. It's even worse for us when multiple guys get going. Overall, great job of staying poised by Iowa. It will take time to determine if the curse is over.

Didn't Devyn Marble have a last second dunk against Minnesota? Business meeting on top floor?

I think that was the second to last basket in that game. He drove the lane and had an assist to Basabe I believe. He also has a last basket against Wisconsin that year. Those don't qualify because of either the amount of time left in the game or we had a small lead at the time. Not sure which one.

I think that was the second to last basket in that game. He drove the lane and had an assist to Basabe I believe. He also has a last basket against Wisconsin that year. Those don't qualify because of either the amount of time left in the game or we had a small lead at the time. Not sure which one.

Marble hit a shot with 18 seconds to go in regulation that sent the game with Tennessee last year to OT (Tenn missed a shot that would have won it). Maybe that doesn't qualify either. :)

Marble hit a shot with 18 seconds to go in regulation that sent the game with Tennessee last year to OT (Tenn missed a shot that would have won it). Maybe that doesn't qualify either. :)

I think the stat was "hit a game winner when trailing or tied in the closing seconds. I'm not sure how little time had to be left to count.

Could we call is AIHGWSMG?

The question is... Has the curse been cured?
images

Latest posts