Has it been done?

familydc

Lazy afternoon and was re-watching the Holiday bowl before basketball tips off.

Smith-Marsette was phenomenal in this game! I was thinking to myself what if he had scored 4 ways ( rushing, receiving, passing and kickoff). Tried to google if and how often this has been done in division 1 or NFL and could not find much. Many great players with “ hat tricks” but could not find any with 4 ways of scoring. Anyone know if this has been done and by whom?

Smith-Marsette was phenomenal in this game! I was thinking to myself what if he had scored 4 ways ( rushing, receiving, passing and kickoff). Tried to google if and how often this has been done in division 1 or NFL and could not find much. Many great players with “ hat tricks” but could not find any with 4 ways of scoring. Anyone know if this has been done and by whom?
Yes, it has.
I forget his name, was a BIG, powerful RB from Ohio State who had 5TDs four diff ways against the Hawks. I was at the game at Kinnick when he did it. Guessing maybe 30 years ago??
If I recall... on one TD he scored on a play when he literally ran out of one of his shoes...didn;t matter. They crushed Iowa that day.

Yes, it has.
I forget his name, was a BIG, powerful RB from Ohio State who had 5TDs four diff ways against the Hawks. I was at the game at Kinnick when he did it. Guessing maybe 30 years ago??
If I recall... on one TD he scored on a play when he literally ran out of one of his shoes...didn;t matter. They crushed Iowa that day.

Byars or Byers for OSU. Yes was at the game but I dont remember him throwing a TD.

Byars or Byers for OSU. Yes was at the game but I dont remember him throwing a TD.

It couldn't have been Byars if it was at Kinnick. He only played in Kinnick once, 1983, and Ohio St only scored 20 points in the game.

He did have a great game against Iowa in 1984 when he had 4 TDs: 2 running, 1 receiving, & one throwing. But game was in Columbus and it was a gut punch if there ever was one.

Iowa really outplayed OSU, turned the ball over a ton, got down early by 20 but got it close late. Then Ohio St got a couple late TDs and won 45-26.

1984 should have been a B1G title. Really the ultimate shoulda been Iowa team of my life but damn that team just seemed snake-bitten. One thing after another.

Last edited:
Yes, it has.

Keith Bears scored 5 Touchdowns against Illinois and that is also the game wear he loses his shoe on a 67 yard touchdown run. I don’t know how those TD’s where scored.

Thanks for the information. I guess I was wondering if 4 TD's in a single game in 4 different ways has ever happened. (passing, rushing, receiving, kick off return, or punt return)

It couldn't have been Byars if it was at Kinnick. He only played in Kinnick once, 1983, and Ohio St only scored 20 points in the game.

He did have a great game against Iowa in 1984 when he had 4 TDs: 2 running, 1 receiving, & one throwing. But game was in Columbus and it was a gut punch if there ever was one.

Iowa really outplayed OSU, turned the ball over a ton, got down early by 20 but got it close late. Then Ohio St got a couple late TDs and won 45-26.

1984 should have been a B1G title. Really the ultimate shoulda been Iowa team of my life but damn that team just seemed snake-bitten. One thing after another.

Byers is the only OSU big time running back who ran out of his shoe on a big run. so maybe the original poster is equating two games into one.

Yes, he was. Although, if he had completed the pass to Smith, then his TD catch wouldn't have occurred (unless he would have scored again). Regardless, if Petras can be competent this fall, the WR corp for Iowa will be fun to watch. I'm looking forward to it.

I am surprised that Nile Knnick never did it. The guy pretty much did everything when he played. Passed for TD's. Ran for TD's. Kicked extra points and FG's. Returned kickoffs and punts. Intercepted passes. He did it all.

Yes, it has.

Keith Byars. Not sure he got a return (KO or Punt) TD, though.

The shoe-coming-off was against Illinois, not Iowa. And but for Doug Flutie's last-play bomb against Miami/FL, Byars wins the Heisman in 1984.

Not sure he did it or not, but the guy to check out would be Desmond Howard. He played both ways and also did some kickoff and punt returns. I would think it would be possible to have a TD receiving, interception, and td’s on a punt and kickoff returns. I not saying he did any of that in one game but maybe he did it in a season. He could have possibly had one rushing or throwing too. I really don’t know, but if I was gonna speculate, he would be the first guy I’d go to check his stats.

One player that potentially crossed my mind was Arksnsas RB Darren McFadden.

In 2006, he had 14 rushing TD's, 1 receiving TD's, passed for 3 TD's and had 1 kickoff return for a TD. Not all in 1 game, but he did do it in a season.

The guy won back to back Doak Walker awards and was also back to back Heisman runner up in 2006 and 2007.

I thought tim dwight did in randy Reiner's first game in 97 when they played indiana. But I was incorrect. In that game he returned one for a td, caught one for a td and threw a td pass. I was at that game and he seemed to do everything. I thought he ran for one too, but I was mistaken.

Latest posts