Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard

I always thought this was a rallying cry for the team as they took on the Michigans and Ohio States of the world, I'm wondering now if it is more a warning. That is it is all about who works their tail off consistently in every aspect, because that is ultimately the type of player Kirk and co want, the kind that is simply willing to outwork everyone. If that ends up meaning that some more talented players end up having to sit because they are not willing to work as hard, then so be it, for it is better for the overall health of the team if everybody sees that hard work is what gets you on the field.

I have likely simplified this too much, but it gave me a different way of thinking about how the how talent gets evaluated. All this being said, I have no idea who works hard and who doesn't.

I always thought this was a rallying cry for the team as they took on the Michigans and Ohio States of the world, I'm wondering now if it is more a warning. That is it is all about who works their tail off consistently in every aspect, because that is ultimately the type of player Kirk and co want, the kind that is simply willing to outwork everyone. If that ends up meaning that some more talented players end up having to sit because they are not willing to work as hard, then so be it, for it is better for the overall health of the team if everybody sees that hard work is what gets you on the field.

I have likely simplified this too much, but it gave me a different way of thinking about how the how talent gets evaluated. All this being said, I have no idea who works hard and who doesn't.

I like the thought. It really does simplify how easily someone can go from hard work being part of your evaluation, to hard work being all of your evaluation.

I'm of the belief that Kirk would rather have the hard working safety that gets burned 5 times a game because of lack of physical ability than a naturally athletic safety that gets burned 3 times a game because of mental mistakes.

A good coach knows that there is no way to improve on the hard worker's 5 mistakes. Hell he might enen play the athlete if he made more than 5 mistakes a game, knowing he could slowly coach the mistakes out of him.

I never liked that idiotic mantra because it conveniently left out the possibilty that talent may also work just as hard as Johnny Soybean from Ottumwa.

Crap slogan. Gives hope for the less talented underdog. Clueless loves this slogan, can't recruit any talent so he's gonna outwork them. Wrong, what happens when talent works hard? What happens when talent is so talented that no matter how hard the 2 star works, it won't matter?

I bought into this concept when Kirk first started and it worked for the most part but that is also when coach put the best players on the field.

Nobody is trusting the coaches decision anymore so I now want to see 4 or 5 stars behind every recruits name

B4q05iPCcAAbKUu.png

Those silly star ratings don't mean nuthin'!
---Derpy Hawkfans

Yes, of course. It's very difficult for a quality coach to get 4 star talent to buy in when there is so much 2 star talent that's just raring to go.

Most organizations I know reward results not effort. Don't tell me how hard you practiced or how many hours you spent in the film room.........tell me how you performed on game day.

It's an extreme example but watching the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 he stated he didn't want to practice hard and often didn't.

What popped into my head was that he wouldn't play for KF.

B4q05iPCcAAbKUu.png

Those silly star ratings don't mean nuthin'!
---Derpy Hawkfans

Wow, that was what I assumed happened. So this powerhouse of a recruiting class ranked somewhere around 66th means in three years we will be stuck in neutral still. I'd be willing to bet in 3 years time that Tennessee will be somewhere in the top 10 also. They had a top ten class last year and another this year while Kirk hopes for that one easy schedule year where somehow he manages not to muck up two extra wins and we back our way into a January bowl. Talent is always the trump card and the way we recruit it's gonna be hard to succeed. I'd challenge that I would take a far superior recruiting head coach than an x's and o's coach next go around. Kirk has shown us time and again he was neither so why not start with better players?

Florida's new coach, Jim McElwain, was interviewed via phone during halftime on one of the earlier bowl games and was asked his first order of business....................His brief response was "hire some assistants that have shown they can recruit".

Crap slogan. Gives hope for the less talented underdog. Clueless loves this slogan, can't recruit any talent so he's gonna outwork them. Wrong, what happens when talent works hard? What happens when talent is so talented that no matter how hard the 2 star works, it won't matter?

There's another great slogan that might apply here: you can't fix stupid.

Latest posts