Happy, but No Bench Scoring is a problem.

eyekwah

No bench scoring is a problem. Pemsl, Kreiner, Bakari, and Till seem to have no confidence in their shots. Kreiner has had some games where he scores and so has Bakari, but don't they don't seem able to bring it when the competition improves. Pemsl passes up some shots when he probably shouldn't.

The bench was a loser today, but played pretty well at Maryland. Unfortunately we’ve got to get our guys breathers. Fran used some timeouts today. I think he’s got a good read on the team

Yep that's due to injuries. Our 3 bench players would be the 3 guys who hardly played if Bohannon, Nunge, and Patrick could go. It is a big problem, but the team is trying hard to work through it.

We knew this would be an issue. It was debatable that we didn't have enough horses to win. We just need to ride our big 3 as much as possible and hope the bench guys can help steal a few more wins down the stretch during games where the big 3 don't quite have it.

What does our bench offer? If these guys aren't looking to shoot, what do they bring? Defense? Rebounding? No turnovers?

The bench was a loser today, but played pretty well at Maryland. Unfortunately we’ve got to get our guys breathers. Fran used some timeouts today. I think he’s got a good read on the team

Others have mentioned it but I dont think it is good to have both JoeW and Garza both out at the same time. Fran did it in both the first and second half today and it leaves CJF as about the only real scoring threat.

Maybe Garza out first and then a couple minutes later swap him and Joe W. Kriener the big man while Garza is out with JoeW and CJF on either side of the floor for spacing. Connor is about 6'6" so that is good height and ball handling and 2 good scorers. Then Garza back in and with Joe W out CJF can balance scoring.

When does Fran usually sub out CJF for his first rest of each half?

Others have mentioned it but I dont think it is good to have both JoeW and Garza both out at the same time. Fran did it in both the first and second half today and it leaves CJF as about the only real scoring threat.

Maybe Garza out first and then a couple minutes later swap him and Joe W. Kriener the big man while Garza is out with JoeW and CJF on either side of the floor for spacing. Connor is about 6'6" so that is good height and ball handling and 2 good scorers. Then Garza back in and with Joe W out CJF can balance scoring.

When does Fran usually sub out CJF for his first rest of each half?
Today it was very late, he was out there for like the first 13 minutes or so I think

No bench scoring is a problem. Pemsl, Kreiner, Bakari, and Till seem to have no confidence in their shots. Kreiner has had some games where he scores and so has Bakari, but don't they don't seem able to bring it when the competition improves. Pemsl passes up some shots when he probably shouldn't.
its who we are with a depleted bench.
Kreiner is the only game me that can be “relied” on to score.

I’d rather have 3 scorers like this team has than 11 guys that score 7pts like the last couple years or one scorer and no one can make a clutch shot.

That’s why it’s so huge for Connor to keep shooting and to keep trying to step up, we have to have someone do it every game. One game it’s Connor, one game it’s Joe T, one game it’s Kriener ..... that’s how it’s gonna have to work at this point. No other options. It’s why guys like Cordell, RK, BE, JT, CP, Connor are now pretty much the most important players on the team each night. We need a couple to step up every night to be successful. Doesn’t always have to be the same guy and likely won’t be. Tonight it was Connor.

all I know is the final score says Iowa won by 7 points....I really don't give a rats butt about the bench scoring. Evidently it wasn't needed today.

Pemsl has been playing a little better. The thing is he doesn’t look to score at all.

Evelyn has a different role every game depending on what Joe T is doing. He’s a reluctant shooter though, and depending on which group he’s out there with he should probably look to do a little more.

Pemsl has been playing a little better. The thing is he doesn’t look to score at all.

Evelyn has a different role every game depending on what Joe T is doing. He’s a reluctant shooter though, and depending on which group he’s out there with he should probably look to do a little more.
I don’t think he has the green light at this point. I think that’s been coached a little, personally I don’t mind it, I’d rather have just about anyone shoot it on the team as to him anyways.

We have such a cringe worthy bench. When Pemsel has the ball it is like watching hot potato he can't rid of it fast enough (or usually does something stupid with it). Kriener hits a few threes here and there and now thinks he is a marksman (if hitting the back of the rim would count as points maybe). "Gumby" is a good nickname for him (still think he looks like an Aryan Solider though) how much he is tripping over his own two feet. Evelyn seems like he has been a bust outside of a couple of games. Till is a good practice body.

Thank God we have an All-American center and some guys that can shoot this year.

There have been a couple times over the last 2 games that Iowa had JW, CJ, & Garza on the bench at the same time. obviously Maryland was because of Garza's foul trouble but if Fran is going to do that, he needs to make sure JT is in the game. Teams aren't going to respect the 3 point line when those guys are out anyway so may as well have someone who can handle the ball and take defenders off the dribble.

There have been a couple times over the last 2 games that Iowa had JW, CJ, & Garza on the bench at the same time. obviously Maryland was because of Garza's foul trouble but if Fran is going to do that, he needs to make sure JT is in the game. Teams aren't going to respect the 3 point line when those guys are out anyway so may as well have someone who can handle the ball and take defenders off the dribble.
This. Or leave in JW. It's about having someone who can slash and create if you don't have your starters in. I can't believe we go with the Connor/Benjamin/CJ/Kreiner/Pemsl lineup for such long stretches.

Kreiner was having a really solid season, but, for whatever reason, he's taken some steps back recently.

Not only is he taking ill-advised shots, but he's been slow to react both offensively and defensively, and just generally not playing with any intensity.

For this team to make any kind of major run, his contributions are going to be extremely important. He needs to get back on track.

Latest posts