Happy Anniversary

spliff45

27 years ago today, the meltdown of all meltdowns as Iowa blows a 16 point halftime lead against UNLV with a trip to the Final 4 on the line.

I believe the game was actually played on Sunday, March 22, 1987.

Hard to believe its been that long. It should have been a bigger deal to me but I wasn't old enough to realize that its not too often Iowa can put a team like that together. Never would have guessed at the time that Iowa would have reached only 2 Sweet 16s since then.

The only thing I really remember about that game was how UNLV just started making everything from 3 in the second half and Iowa couldn't get anything going...but the 1 play that stands out the most is Iowa still having a chance to grab the lead in the final seconds with Lohaus wide open for an alley-oop, but Kevin Gamble launched his pass about as high as the top of the backboard and out of bounds. :(

Iowa shredded unlv's defense in the first half then the rebels started switching on Dee and the hawks didnt counter that, Iowas offense just couldnt sustain in 2nd half

I believe the game was actually played on Sunday, March 22, 1987.

Hard to believe its been that long. It should have been a bigger deal to me but I wasn't old enough to realize that its not too often Iowa can put a team like that together. Never would have guessed at the time that Iowa would have reached only 2 Sweet 16s since then.

Correct, it was a Sunday afternoon game.

Two Sweet 16's in 26 years. Man. When you say it like that, you realize exactly how mediocre Iowa Basketball has been since 1987, as a whole. Not that the program hasn't had some bad luck here and there, but still. Gotta step it up a bit. Getting to the Sweet 16 is nice, but it's not THAT big of an accomplishment.. We deserve better. Twice in 26 years. Pfffft.

Ok. Cue the replies about my sense of self entitlement in 3... 2... 1...

Last edited:
Correct, it was a Sunday afternoon game.

Two Sweet 16's in 26 years. Man. When you say it like that, you realize exactly how mediocre Iowa Basketball has been since 1987, as a whole. Not that the program hasn't had some bad luck here and there, but still. Gotta step it up a bit. Getting to the Sweet 16 is nice, but it's not THAT big of an accomplishment.. We deserve better. Twice in 26 years. Pfffft.

Ok. Cue the replies about my sense of self entitlement in 3... 2... 1...

I couldn't watch sportscenter for a week in fear of seeing basketball highlights after UNLV game. Between 1980 and 1988 Iowa appeared in four sweet sixteens. One final four and two elite 8's. What a great time. I was a freshman in college during the FF run. Still waiting for another run.

I couldn't watch sportscenter for a week in fear of seeing basketball highlights after UNLV game. Between 1980 and 1988 Iowa appeared in four sweet sixteens. One final four and two elite 8's. What a great time. I was a freshman in college during the FF run. Still waiting for another run.

I don't recall where, but I saw a replay of the UNLV/Iowa game online somewhere, just a couple years ago. I have to admit it was good therapy. Still, that game will continue to haunt me until Iowa makes a Final Four again. Or at least another Elite 8, with another shot at playing for a FF appearance. Iowa has not come close since 1987. It was blown out by AZ in the 1988 Sweet 16, and Iowa, frankly, had little chance to beat UConn in the 1999 Sweet 16. Iowa did well to keep that game at a single digit margin most of the game.

The 1980's.. Unfortunately I'm too young to remember Iowa's 1980 Final Four, and the other Elite 8 you mentioned. 1987 was the first year I remember with any sort of clarity.

I start to wonder if I'll ever see Iowa in a Final Four, or even with a shot at it.

Mr. Davis continuing to play zone cost us the game.

In 13 seasons with Iowa, Mr. Davis went to the NCAA 9 times and to the NIT twice (11 out of 13). Never lost in the fisrt round (this was before play-in). One Elite 8 and Two Sweet 16's. All others second round losses.

We beat on Mr. Davis but I am not sure why....

Latest posts