Hansen - Pollard needs to be Proactive

eyekwah

Marc Hansen recently returned to the Register's Sports Dept. Here is his piece in today's Register about realignment. I picked out a quote that summarizes what needed to be said.

Hansen: Texas A&M bolts; ISU watches, waits | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

"The Iowa State athletic director needs to get on the phone and prepare for college football’s next seismic event. He needs to solidify old relationships and forge new alliances. The future of his program depends upon it.

One problem with that. Solidifying old relationships and forging new alliances at the drop of a hat isn’t so easy in the chaos that passes for conference realignment. With so much at stake, how can you trust anyone – even your best conference friends – to look you in the eye and tell you the truth? When a colleague says, “Don’t worry, we’re with you,â€￾ maybe the best response is to reach for your wallet."

The article below contains an email from Pollard to his staff. The use of the words "will remain" is not an absolute feeling of certainty. I'm not a fan of super conferences, but if I am ISU, KSU, and Kansas I call the boys in the Big East about a deal.

ISU's AD tries to calm fans, staffers | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

"Pollard wrote in an Aug. 14 email to “All Staffâ€￾: “I encourage you to continue to move forward and not let this be a distraction to your respective programs and jobs. I am confident the remaining nine members will remain very united in our pursuit of Texas A&M’s replacement, should they decide to leave our conference.â€￾"

I'm sure Pollard is doing exactly that. It's his job.

I am starting to believe the Big East move would be the best thing, but the problem is that the conference would have to dissolve completely for the move to make sense for ISU. Any buyout is just too dang big for us.

he better be making calls and getting prepared, otherwise they'll have his head if they get left out just because he trusts texas.

I am starting to believe the Big East move would be the best thing, but the problem is that the conference would have to dissolve completely for the move to make sense for ISU. Any buyout is just too dang big for us.

I'm unsure there would be a penalty for ISU with the conference down to 6 teams. It would basically be dissolved by those three leaving.

This is the same things I believe. The reason being, is that everyone is an equal in the Big East. I think trying/hoping the Big12 is perserved is kind of silly since you will have to give even more concessions to Texas, and probably the other schools that might come to the Big12. This in essence would put ISU further and further behind both in money and competing. Getting to a conference where all teams have an equal say is the key.

Unfortunately Hansen, like a lot of fans, doesn't see the entire picture. The Big East would not be this awesome thing that most believe it to be.

And the Big 12 will stay together. They will add 1-3 teams and be fine.

Unfortunately Hansen, like a lot of fans, doesn't see the entire picture. The Big East would not be this awesome thing that most believe it to be.

With what is transpiring I'll just have to disagree with your point of view. I just feel putting one's future at stake with people like Deloss Dodds is risky business.

You may be right, but I would refrain from making definitive statements unless you have some all knowing inside source. I don't think anyone knows for sure. If the Big 12 adds teams, I still think it will blow up in less than 5 years. With Texas in control, there will always be too much instability

That's not the big picture. The big picture is Texas, and it's own network. Adding a few teams now put the finger in the ****. Clownies seems to gloss over this point.

d i k e is really edited out?

I agree, the Big East would not be awesome. I see us dropping a program if we went over there, simply for the travel costs. My primary concern was that we would be losing big money going to the Big East but I don't see that happening too badly.

As to a level playing field, because of the geographical location ISU will always be imbalanced in whatever league it's in. It will always be the furthest north and middle in any future conference. There will be built in disadvantages either way. I am currently starting to think that the Big East is the lesser of two evils right now, as it plays right into our strengths. Hoiberg recruits the east coast for basketball and we're more traditionally competitive there. As a football league it's the least competitive of the BCS leagues and we'd have a chance to win more. Plus we have the added benefit of getting away from UT.

There's no easy way out. There's no short cut home. I could continue with that song from Rocky if you want. Whether we want to admit it or not, the Big 12 is a league held together by schools who feel they don't have any better options, not that they feel like it's their best situation. Really no denying that.

If you read Stoops comments in the Tulsa paper,he is clearly concerned about being in a depleted Big 12. He sounded excited about a move to the Pac 16,with Ok St.,Texas and Texas Tech.
All I know is that ISU better hang on to KU like a bloodsucker. Their bb program is your only hope.

Their basketball program is no more important than our basketball program. This is about football only.

I agree, the Big East would not be awesome. I see us dropping a program if we went over there, simply for the travel costs. My primary concern was that we would be losing big money going to the Big East but I don't see that happening too badly.

If the focus is only football I would agree it isn't so awesome, but in other areas I think the Big East has more to offer ISU's other sports. CT women would be a big draw. The Men's BBall would be excelllent. Some of the Big East schools have wrestling programs. I'm not going to try and do the work Pollard should be doing. If the only reason for not moving is the lost of revenue then no amount of analysis is going to convince anyone that the move is worth doing.

Latest posts