"HALO" Rumor

I guess people didn't read past the first post, it is now being reported by Kakert on TOS that Marshall didn't even want an interview.

If that is true, that is not good. When guys like Marshall don't even want to interview, you got to wonder how the coaching profession views this job.

I have no idea if Marshall is the guy but I am perplexed on the negative reaction to him. I was first exposed to Marshall when he was at Winthrop and I watched them play Wisconsin at the Kohl Center. I and the 17,000+ fans at the Kohl Center were expecting a blowout but Winthrop played Wisconsin down to the wire before losing 82-79 in OT. What impressed me about Winthrop was the athletes they had. Winthrop was at athletic as Wisconsin, which indicates that Marshall is a decent recruiter.

During his stint at Wichita State, Marshall improved every year. He increased his record from 11-20, to 17-17 to 25-9. Lest we forget how good Marshall's Wichita State team was compared to Iowa, here is a painful reminder.

Wichita State Shockers vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Recap - November 24, 2009 - ESPN

The bottom line is that although Marshall would not be my top choice, he is a proven winner that compares very favorably to others with less experience (i.e. Jacobson, Davis).

I have no idea if Marshall is the guy but I am perplexed on the negative reaction to him. I was first exposed to Marshall when he was at Winthrop and I watched them play Wisconsin at the Kohl Center. I and the 17,000+ fans at the Kohl Center were expecting a blowout but Winthrop played Wisconsin down to the wire before losing 82-79 in OT. What impressed me about Winthrop was the athletes they had. Winthrop was at athletic as Wisconsin, which indicates that Marshall is a decent recruiter.

During his stint at Wichita State, Marshall improved every year. He increased his record from 11-20, to 17-17 to 25-9. Lest we forget how good Marshall's Wichita State team was compared to Iowa, here is a painful reminder.

Wichita State Shockers vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Recap - November 24, 2009 - ESPN

The bottom line is that although Marshall would not be my top choice, he is a proven winner that compares very favorably to others with less experience (i.e. Jacobson, Davis).

Madison here is where the negativity comes from two mid major guys Alford and Lick got us to where we are today.

Is that supposed to make us feel better?

LOL, not really, but I also think some people need take off the black and gold glasses and realize that the Iowa basketball program isn't as attractive as it once was.

Yes money talks, but sometimes you need to realize with the rebuilding that needs done here in a major way if all the money is really worth the time and effort when an established coach already has his program running on all cyclinders.

Madison here is where the negativity comes from two mid major guys Alford and Lick got us to where we are today.

That is about the only comparison between Marshall and Alford/Lickliter. Marshall has been a head coach for 12 years at two Division I universities, a career 247-129 record and 7 NCAA appearances. Alford/Lickliter combined did not come close to those numbers when they were hired at Iowa.

That is about the only comparison between Marshall and Alford/Lickliter. Marshall has been a head coach for 12 years at two Division I universities, a career 247-129 record and 7 NCAA appearances. Alford/Lickliter combined did not come close to those numbers when they were hired at Iowa.

Hey, I don't think they are fair comparisons but they are comparisons that are gonna be made and make people hate this hire if it even has legs.

I think people need to get ready for a let-down. I see no reason why an established power conference coach will come here. It is very hard to win, if a coach is already winning he is not going to leave his situation for a middle of the road Big 10 school where the last 2 coaches couldn't get it done.

The only thing I'm letting-down is your optimism meter mister!!!

I would, like I've said before Hewitt is a good recruiter but is possibly the worst major conference coach out there. He wastes so much talent year in and year out.

Might be a moot point soon, just read a report that St. Johns has been given permission to speak to Hewitt.

I think this thread is a pretty good indicator of what the reaction will be if we hire a smaller name from a mid-major school..

Saw that too, and they're throwing some serious money around too.

That would not bode well for Iowa if they did that as that would simply just replace one "competitor" with another. We have to hope that a lot of the jobs that are open get filled with coaches from mid-major schools. If not, we could be the one standing when the music stops in this version of musical chairs.

Latest posts