Had to post this..very good perspective

cobri66

Gotta thank hawkeyeinstl who posted this on BHGP...

"We all realize that, right? This is our first double-digit loss in almost FOUR SEASONS. And people are calling for KF’s head? Holy cow, we sound like SEC fans.
My primary complaint about KF is also the ungodly conservative play calling. And we remember them every time it bites us in the ***, but nobody seems to recall any of the times we buried somebody with a punt from the 40 yard line and got a 3AO and got the ball back on our own 40 or blocked a punt or something.
There was a failure of execution on the field. Catchers didn’t catch well. Tacklers didn’t tackle well. Blockers didn’t block well. The thrower didn’t throw well. Given the poor execution, what on earth makes anybody think the outcome would have been different we tried to (poorly) execute something harder?

It should have been 7-0 on PSU’s first series. McNutt had two inexplicable drops. Well, I can explicit one — he anticipated the defender and turned to make a move before he caught the ball.

KF has done everything Hayden Fry did, and more. These things go in cycles. We all knew this season was not going to be some miracle season.

Perspective. A good season of Iowa football is 8-5. That’s 4-4 in conference play in my book. That’s a good year. A great year is 6-2. And once in a while you have a dream year.

Do we think we should be Ohio State? Let’s look at their record over the last ten years. 7-5, 14-0, 11-2, 8-4, 10-2, 12-2, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2.

There’s some great years in there. There’s some good years in there. And there’s a pretty mediocre year in there. If Ohio State is allowed to have down years, so are we. I’ll take 8-4 seasons every year, if we pop up to double digits now and again.

How about OSU in the 90’s? 8-4, 8-3, 9-4, 6-6, 8-4.

The 80’s? Seven straight 3-loss seasons. Those are undoubtedly good years, but sometimes 9-3 is a big 10 championship (1986) and sometimes it’s fourth place (1983).

Perspective. We lost a lot of people. This is a rebuilding year. If we go 4-4 in conference play, it’s a wildly successful year in my book. We’ll be 7-5 again, and we’ll have a shot at giving the fans something Fry never did – 4 straight bowl wins. Ferentz is bowl-eligible in 10 seasons, and 6-3 in 9 bowl games. That’s insane. KF has 4 top 10 finishes. Four bowl wins against Top 15 teams. He’s over .600 in winning percentage at Iowa, and that’s including a 1-10 campaign in his first year where he had to resuscitate a dead program. Ignoring the first two years, which were “building” years by any reasonable standard, he’s at more than a .67 winning percentage. Again, insane, considering Iowa’s recruiting disadvantage.

We have starters from Ohio State, Texas, and Florida. Why aren’t they playing for OSU, Texas, or Florida? Because they weren’t good enough. Our starters couldn’t even get onto Ohio State’s bench. Yet KF coaches them up, and fields competitive teams, year in, and year out, and wins games, and wins conference titles, and sends them to the NFL, more so than any other team in this country other than Florida and USC.

Perspective. You’re allowed to be frustrated. I am frustrated, too. And it’s easy to pick on the things that drive us nuts, but those are also things that keep us in close games.

If KF finds a way to adjust to tweak what is undoubtedly a winning formula to enable him to win those close games, then this program is Ohio State. Maybe that’ll never happen. I don’t know.

But I do know that I like KF and I like how he’s built and maintained this Iowa program. I love my Hawkeyes, I want them to be better than they are now, but Jeebus H. If an ugly ten point loss on the road to Penn State is the straw that breaks any camel’s back, I’ll submit that we’ve been spoiled with unrealistic expectations.

Separate “dreams and hopes” from “reasonable expectations” and calm down."

Last edited:
There has been threads on this site and others..There is a poll on this site asking if Ferentz should be our coach or somebody else

more from him

"And I left out the sweetest statistic of all: KF is 3-1 against the SEC, and that one deserves an asterisk. We the one and only Big10 team that the SEC has not solved.

Ladies and gentlemen, I will take that for the next years and throw it in the face of SEC fans every time.
SEC: “We wtfp2n the big 10!â€￾
Us: “Except Iowa, you mean. Iowa has beaten Saban, Meyer, and Spurrier. Who else you got?â€￾

Somebody said that means we'll finally figure out a way to beat Fitz..this made me laugh
"Solve Fitzgerald? No way, man. He’s a Level 9 moon wizard, it can’t be done unless somebody dispels his aura with a Rod of Warding."

OK..I'll stop quoting him now..

I have a feeling there will be a lot of "perspective" posts this week. After the ISU loss someone posted that KF was 16-19 against ISU, W. Mich., Indiana and NW. That is where I get a little delusional at. Reality may be that the talent level at Iowa is such that KF should be around .500 against these teams. For a program that has gone 87-43 this past decade which would put the Hawks in the low 20's as far as rank in terms of victories I expect better results against subpar teams. I would admit that is where my delusion kicks in.

Um, in case you forgot..

We "beat" saban despite DERP DERP Ferentz's best effort to **** away the game.. mainly because the QB took it upon himself. That win had absolutely ZERO to do with ferentz.

We beat spurrier because we had a better team. It, again, had nothing to do with Ferentz.

If you are too stupid to understand that Kirk Ferentz only "looks good" when he has incredible talent, then I am sorry, you have no business being a college football fan.

Saban, Meyer and Spurrier all could have potentially taken the teams they lost to (most specifically the team that beat spurrier, and then the team that beat GT) to a LOT better seasons. But we had a coach who likes to **** away games with among the WORST clock management in all of college football, which cost us games in both seasons. We had arguably the best defense in college football those seasons.

The intelligent posters on this site are not calling for Ferentz's head. It does come down to execution. Which was definitely lacking against Penn St. And this guy is correct that most programs are cyclical. I've accepted this is going to be a down year. Without the miracle against Pitt, Iowa would be sitting pretty ugly right now.

So according to bchilds420 when they lose its because Kirk is a crappy coach, but when they win its only because they were able to win despite what a lousy game day coaching job he does. They only beat Spurrier because they had a better team? Nothing to do with the game plan and the coaching that made them a better team? You can't have it both ways. Crappy coaches don't win big 10 championships and bowl games against other very good coaches. I was at all those bowl games and if not for the game plan and coaching we would be 3-6 in bowl games instead of 6-3. Or better yet not even been in any of those bowls.

Last edited:
Yet another "embrace medicority, it's who we are " thread. Yawn. I am not calling for KF's head, but if the guy is going to cash those fat checks, he sure as hell better take it off auto-pilot and get some new coordinators in here.

You can spin it however you like, but we are digressing every minute KOK and Parker run the O and D. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Norm. The D has carried the water for years and I would like to see him retained in some capacity...he has earned it. As far as KOK goes, the guy is completely clueless and always has been. This team could have Tom Brady, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and DeSean Jackson and we would still throw 3 yard passes in the flat on 3rd and 8.

In case you haven't noticed, our opponents know exactly what we are doing and realize we are not capable of making changes. The only thing that kept yesterday from being a 30-3 beating was that we played one of the worst offensive teams in the conference.

Yet another BRAVO! Nothing paves the road to mediocrity than accepting failure and apologizing for poor performance. The same crew who do this are the ***** posse that are into the trophy for showing up mentality that grips corporate board rooms today. If "we" are paying top shelf wages we should expect top shelf performance or pay should be reduced. KF has been hanging out with too many CEO types....

Who is calling for KF's head??

I am for the first time. Since the 2002season, Iowa has had only 3 bcs seasons. That is 3 out of the last nine. We should be experiencing more then that. If it can be done at wisc, it can be done here. Time to play to win. Not to not lose games. Our system is set up to keep games close and try and get a big play or two in the 4 th quarter to win. That has worked out okay for the most part as Iowa has been basically in all their games until the last play or two of the game. The problem is that Iowa lost a lot of those games. Iowa needs to jump on teams early, and keep the pedal down until the final horn. I want an agressive coach who will coach his guys to play to win.

Yeah im about there with him to atleast a new offense and defense corr. 7-5 last year with a team that put 12 players in the NFL is awful. Ive always laughed at people calling for his head but if he cant win more then five games this year hes gotta go just pay someone else 4 mill a year to average 7 wins a year.

Yet another "embrace medicority, it's who we are " thread. Yawn. I am not calling for KF's head, but if the guy is going to cash those fat checks, he sure as hell better take it off auto-pilot and get some new coordinators in here.

You can spin it however you like, but we are digressing every minute KOK and Parker run the O and D. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Norm. The D has carried the water for years and I would like to see him retained in some capacity...he has earned it. As far as KOK goes, the guy is completely clueless and always has been. This team could have Tom Brady, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and DeSean Jackson and we would still throw 3 yard passes in the flat on 3rd and 8.

In case you haven't noticed, our opponents know exactly what we are doing and realize we are not capable of making changes. The only thing that kept yesterday from being a 30-3 beating was that we played one of the worst offensive teams in the conference.

THIS!!!

If you want to 'brag' about how close our losses are or you want to continue to tell us REAL Hawkeye fans that we should quiet down because "....we're Iowa and we only deserve .500 seasons..." GTFO...go cheer on the Clowns. We have one of the highest paid coaches in college football and we don't quite have the results that go along with that. Don't give me any crap about Iowa not being a program that can attract a good coach...we have things other football programs dream about--one of the greatest fan bases in college football (who bowls love because we might be the best traveling fans in college football), top notch facilities, great University...what more do you want?

P.S. KF has not achieved everything Coach Fry has accomplished--Coach Fry won an outright BIG title (and three Rose Bowl Berths)...also...how many bowl games in a row did Coach Fry take us to (I think he was a bit more consistent)?

THIS!!!

If you want to 'brag' about how close our losses are or you want to continue to tell us REAL Hawkeye fans that we should quiet down because "....we're Iowa and we only deserve .500 seasons..." GTFO...go cheer on the Clowns. We have one of the highest paid coaches in college football and we don't quite have the results that go along with that. Don't give me any crap about Iowa not being a program that can attract a good coach...we have things other football programs dream about--one of the greatest fan bases in college football (who bowls love because we might be the best traveling fans in college football), top notch facilities, great University...what more do you want?

P.S. KF has not achieved everything Coach Fry has accomplished--Coach Fry won an outright BIG title (and three Rose Bowl Berths)...also...how many bowl games in a row did Coach Fry take us to (I think he was a bit more consistent)?

+ 1

Well, KF has taken us to a bowl every year but once, from 2001 forward. But Hayden took us to a lot of bowl games back in the day when it was much harder to get a bowl invite. KF has gotten us several bowl invites with 6 or 7 wins, which wouldn't have happened back in Hayden's day - 2001, 2005, 2006, 2010. Maybe this year too, we'll see.

These days, I find it ridiculous that you can get a bowl game at 6-6. Not even a winning record!

Is anyone else depressed that our close loss streak is finally over? As an Iowa fan that is what I hung my hat on. Hey we might lose, but we won't lose by much. And now that's gone too.

Latest posts