Guard the 3.

HawkeyeNTexas

I said it in the UNI game and I will say it again. UNI shot 6-30 and now ISU is shooting pretty good to start the game from 3 point land. The UNI game could have been a different story if they had made more 3's. This game is going to come down to Iowa taking away the 3 point shot of ISU.

Isn't it logical if someone has a hot shooting hand to guard him. Christopherson was 7-12 from 3. Guard him!!! Fundamentals. TL, I blame you for this.

Isn't it logical if someone has a hot shooting hand to guard him. Christopherson was 7-12 from 3. Guard him!!! Fundamentals

Entire second half, I was screaming at my TV "GUARD CHRISTOPHERSON!!!"

It's beyond me why we were letting him shoot so much, and didn't have someone right in his face every time he touched the ball. Make someone else beat you, or at least make him put it on the floor.

We've been getting absolutely annihilated from 3-point range, and players continue to have career highs against us.

That, and commit as many turnovers as you do, miss as many layups as you do, and miss as many free throws as you do, and it's easy to see why you lose.

Iowa hasn't guarded the 3-point shot since 1999.

I think that goes back farther than '99... Remember the Davis era?

Actually, I thought Davis' first year was the first year of the 3 pointer. Before that, it was 2's only wasn't it?

So, have we EVER guarded the 3?

I think that goes back farther than '99... Remember the Davis era?

Actually, I thought Davis' first year was the first year of the 3 pointer. Before that, it was 2's only wasn't it?

So, have we EVER guarded the 3?

It appears the answer is no. It would have been nice to someone put Christop...whatever on his *** last night. I remember a game back in the mid-90's when Joe Crispin of PSU had a game like that against Iowa, and Chris Kingsbury shoved him into the stands.

It appears the answer is no. It would have been nice to someone put Christop...whatever on his *** last night. I remember a game back in the mid-90's when Joe Crispin of PSU had a game like that against Iowa, and Chris Kingsbury shoved him into the stands.

That was probably the game I remember PSU draining something like 17 3's against us.. I think we lost that game in overtime. The 3 has been the bane of my existence as a Hawkeye hoops fan ever since Gerald Paddio went ballistic on us from behind the arc in the 1987 Regional Final. Seems like the 3 always gets us beaten one way or another.

The thing that disappoints me about last night's game is that Gatens started out hot, and basically didn't get an open look the rest of the game. Would have been nice if we would have done the same to Christopherson..

That was probably the game I remember PSU draining something like 17 3's against us.. I think we lost that game in overtime. The 3 has been the bane of my existence as a Hawkeye hoops fan ever since Gerald Paddio went ballistic on us from behind the arc in the 1987 Regional Final. Seems like the 3 always gets us beaten one way or another.

The thing that disappoints me about last night's game is that Gatens started out hot, and basically didn't get an open look the rest of the game. Would have been nice if we would have done the same to Christopherson..

At that point, Gatens needs to put it on the floor and get to the line. Guy is a 90+% career free throw shooter, and only went to the line twice last night.

At that point, Gatens needs to put it on the floor and get to the line. Guy is a 90+% career free throw shooter, and only went to the line twice last night.

He's not really quick enough to beat a guy off the dribble though. You could tell that there were times when he wanted to but he either knew he couldn't or didn't have the confidence to.

He's not really quick enough to beat a guy off the dribble though. You could tell that there were times when he wanted to but he either knew he couldn't or didn't have the confidence to.

Yes, I saw Gatens putting it on the floor in the 2nd half, but he wasn't able to beat his man, ISU jamming the lane, etc. Gatens hasn't really had a good history of taking it to the rim unless he can get there before the defense can recover.

But yes, I agree with the general theory that if someone is in your face to take away your shot, you need to beat them off the dribble.

This thread is funny. I thought I was the only one who felt like Iowa gets torched from the outside. I'm not only talking about last night, but Lick did, Alford did and Mr. Davis did. I don't remember all that well before.

May made a huge mistake by laying off Christopherson when it was a 1 point game. How does that happen?

Is there any truth to the fact that Iowa seems to get burned a lot by the three or does it just seem that way because college basketball is a three point shooters game (the line is really close) and we watch Iowa a lot so it seems as if we are getting burned by it when in reality every one does.

There have been many times when an Iowa team has lit it up from three also.

I remember well Mr. Davis's standard reply during post-game interviews after giving up uncontested "3s". "We failed to identify the shooter", he'd say!!!! What....seriously????? Playing on the schoolyard as kids we could "identify" the shooter who was draining the shots and killing us. But as so many in this forum have noticed Iowa has given up uncontested threes forever.

In last night's case, Iowa State's Christophersen came in third in the nation in three point shooting. Surely he didn't "sneak up" on anyone. So why wasn't there a guy on him constantly??? Granted, he did make a couple of nice moves to clear space for himself while guarded rather well. Still, it was those totally unguarded shots that made me cringe!!

I wonder, would we do any better job guarding "3s" if 5 or 6 points were awarded instead of 3. I don't know....there must be something in Iowa basketball DNA that causes some sort of brain-disconnect!!

On average in Iowa's losses this season, teams have shot 40% plus on 3's. It should be a point of emphasis, but who knows if it ever will.

Is there any truth to the fact that Iowa seems to get burned a lot by the three or does it just seem that way because college basketball is a three point shooters game (the line is really close) and we watch Iowa a lot so it seems as if we are getting burned by it when in reality every one does.

There have been many times when an Iowa team has lit it up from three also.
- It seems we have always been terrible about defending the three............it is an unfunny joke.

Latest posts