Greg McDermott

I live in Omaha and at Creighton games old people don’t yell at you if you stand up. So Greg would need to have a deep desire to coach at Iowa.

I hear that Barta is at the Ferentz house hold tonight, discussing the men's basketball job with Mary. So, I'd rather go on a basketball diet, than let Barta pick the next HC. Hard pass!

I hear that Barta is at the Ferentz house hold tonight, discussing the men's basketball job with Mary. So, I'd rather go on a basketball diet, than let Barta pick the next HC. Hard pass!

Barta picks you. Mary states that she has concerns.

Would the native of Cascade, Iowa leave Creighton now to take the job he always wanted? Creighton is a better job now than Iowa due to his hard work. Iowa would have to pay him $3 million or more.

Creighton's advantages over Iowa are:

1. Better arena.
2. Better attendance--arena is packed 18,000 for every home game
3. Private university without football-he can get anybody in school that he wants

When McDermott was at UNI, Iowa State hurriedly fired their coach so that they could get him rather than Iowa. A year later Barta gave us Todd Lickliter.

McDermott knows the area and knows how to recruit JUCO's and transfers which Fran won't do.

Should Gary Barta be allowed to hire anybody? He is totally responsible for the $6.5 million LLL (Lesbian Lawsuit Loss)
How'd he do at ISU? I'll wait for you to get back to us.

Iowa would never hire a guy with previous issues like Pearl. Regardless if he was an assistant here or not.

McDermott is a good mid-major coach, but why would Iowa want a coach that failed miserably in Ames. We can do better

I'd hire Ben Jacobsen over either one. I'm not sure that he would pound the pavement with as much energy as Fran does recruiting (his failures are not due to lack of effort), but he's the best in the state IMO at developing players and coaching Xs and Os.

I don't know that Fran has the reputation of a relentless recruiter. I'm confident whoever we bring in to replace him will be better at bringing in talent than Fran is.

I don't know that Fran has the reputation of a relentless recruiter. I'm confident whoever we bring in to replace him will be better at bringing in talent than Fran is.
Like him or not, Fran does have the reputation of pounding the pavement hard in recruiting, but that doesn't mean he's good at it.

IMO, where he's failing is in identifying roster needs, and at the player evaluation level. He's already stated that he and his staff don't pay any attention to recruiting analyses and do their own evaluations. It's become pretty obvious that either, a) he's a poor evaluator of talent, or b) a poor developer of talent, or (most probably)...both.

Like him or not, Fran does have the reputation of pounding the pavement hard in recruiting, but that doesn't mean he's good at it.

IMO, where he's failing is in identifying roster needs, and at the player evaluation level. He's already stated that he and his staff don't pay any attention to recruiting analyses and do their own evaluations. It's become pretty obvious that either, a) he's a poor evaluator of talent, or b) a poor developer of talent, or (most probably)...both.

Where are you getting Fran has a reputation for pounding the pavement in recruiting? I've never heard anyone say that about him before. You hardly ever see his name on Twitter out there watching kids outside of the state like you do with all the other major conference coaches.

Where are you getting Fran has a reputation for pounding the pavement in recruiting? I've never heard anyone say that about him before. You hardly ever see his name on Twitter out there watching kids outside of the state like you do with all the other major conference coaches.
It's been his reputation since he came to Iowa. Recruits have stated how impressed they were at how omni-present Fran was at their events, including Woodbury and Gesell. I believe Cook and Ulis made similar comments as well.

I don't have his daily itinerary or video of his schedule, so if that's what you want, well, whatever. This is one article I found that makes a few comments:

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...wieskamp-carlo-marble/30753153/?showmenu=true

It's been his reputation since he came to Iowa. Recruits have stated how impressed they were at how omni-present Fran was at their events, including Woodbury and Gesell. I believe Cook and Ulis made similar comments as well.

I don't have his daily itinerary or video of his schedule, so if that's what you want, well, whatever. This is one article I found that makes a few comments:

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...wieskamp-carlo-marble/30753153/?showmenu=true
The fact that he ever “pounded the pavement “ for Woody or Gesell is all you need to know to realize it’s time for a change.

Well yeah it's not like Fran just sits at home during the AAU open period but he's not known nationally as a relentless recruiter.

The fact that he ever “pounded the pavement “ for Woody or Gesell is all you need to know to realize it’s time for a change.
Well yeah it's not like Fran just sits at home during the AAU open period but he's not known nationally as a relentless recruiter.
People are going to believe what they prefer to believe, and, again, I'm not implying that he's a good recruiter, or that we shouldn't make a change. I'm simply pointing out that by all accounts his failures are not due to laziness.

But, I can't claim to be riding in the car or plane with him, so perhaps those more in the know, such as Rob or Jon, can weigh in on this. Until then, we'll just have to come to our own conclusions.

Pearl is going to get canned again because of violations at Auburn. Why would you want that mess. If that's what you want why don't we go get a proven winning cheater and throw money at Larry Brown! He only wins everywhere and makes deep runs in the NCAA's.

Reactions: trj
Pearl is going to get canned again because of violations at Auburn. Why would you want that mess. If that's what you want why don't we go get a proven winning cheater and throw money at Larry Brown! He only wins everywhere and makes deep runs in the NCAA's.
Sounds good to me. How do we get this done?

Latest posts