Greg Davis

DBAHawkFan

I think this hire will turn out to be the final nail in the coffin for KF tenure at Iowa. He had a chance to bring in someone new, refreshing, and he chose GDGD.

In the past four years, all we have heard is how difficult the offense is for WR, QB, and anyone else to pick up. Yet we see across the nation other schools playing freshman, and having an impact.

KF also decided to not go all in with GD scheme, and instead try to mesh his own philosophy. It's been a complete disaster. While there isn't any real proof (and we'd never get it), the feeling around the program is that KF dictates how the offense goes. CJB appears to be more of a GD QB, yet the past two seasons we saw Jake as the starter.

This is similar to having another Jake as our QB, running a pro style offense, when he was clearly made for the spread. While Jake had some serious accuracy issues, I think those could have been overcome had the offense changed to match his skill set.

I took this from TOS, but in the recruiting class where we took FIVE WR, only one appears to contribute to the program at the WR position going forward.

Mitchell -- Now a RB, could contribute...or could be another Willies who shows flashes and never sees the field
Powell -- contributed, but rarely saw the field, and when he did, it was two routes
Willies -- No longer with team
Harris -- Reports are he's lost, and may never contribute to this team
Vandburg -- the star WR of the class

At least under KOK, we had some productive WR. GD we've got a dumpster fire.

I did some quick math on this. I took out 1999, 2000 and 2012 as outliers being building years for bolt offensive coordinators. In the other 11 years under KOK Iowa averaged 27 points per game. In the last 2 years under Davis Iowa also averaged 27 points per game. Without taking out those years it is still very close, 25 for KOK, 24 for Davis. Last year Iowa averaged 28 and that is above the average. Iowa has won championships with these numbers.

I did some quick math on this. I took out 1999, 2000 and 2012 as outliers being building years for bolt offensive coordinators. In the other 11 years under KOK Iowa averaged 27 points per game. In the last 2 years under Davis Iowa also averaged 27 points per game. Without taking out those years it is still very close, 25 for KOK, 24 for Davis. Last year Iowa averaged 28 and that is above the average. Iowa has won championships with these numbers.

Points scored barely tells a story. You have to look at total offense and we've been consistently terrible (around 90th out of D1 teams). And if you're going to take out years it should be one year for KOK and one for Davis.

Last year Iowa averaged 28 points you say. But last year was a weak schedule and the eyeball test and smell test dont pass muster.

For instance, ISU and Ball St totals were far under the avg which stunk because those teams were bad. Another way to say it would be a large variance from the mean or maybe two standard deviations from the mean. Iowa's big output was against indiana, jNW, maryland, Illinois and UNI and those were not strong teams or strong defensive teams.

My big problem with the hawks offense is they dont attack, they dont seem to try to draw a safety up and go behind them, or threaten a safety deep and settle in the seam or void left by the safety. The offense is mostly run in front of the defense and that is really hard to move the ball when no one breaks tackles. Granted CJ Jone and Mo Brown on the team the past few years would have really made a difference.

But we need to try to hit guys in stride at 8-15 yards and also go for the big pass play more. GD doesnt do it for me.

How many points did we score against ISU?

How many did we score against them in 2012?

I'm not sure how to think about Davis this year. I originally thought that Davis, as I was not certain how good he would be, would do stupid **** like KOK, but with better talent. Davis had done well at developing quarterbacks and should have had good ties with some of the schools in Texas. I thought that Davis could go into some quarterbacks house and tell them about how he coached McCoy, Young or insert Texas QB.

I believe if Iowa had more talented players on offense, at skill positions, either Ferentz or Davis' scheme would work. I honestly think the lateral crap would have work out very well when Iowa lost all the linemen in 2012 in theory being able to get a few yards from quick pass rather than having the runners stuffed behind a beaten up and broken line.

Further, I must have no concept of offense, because a 2 yard pass seems to be very much like a run, essentially telling the defense to only guard one thing. I think the scheme could work so long as they treat short passes like runs instead of going for the unbalanced "balance" of run-like passes and runs. If they can figure out how to use the TE position and incorporate some sort of cross-route or other mechanic to help get receivers open, hell the Pats pick off defenders all the time, this season isn't looking very promising.

Given the likelihood of this happening you may be a little depressed, however the bright side is that some of the best Iowa teams have been great defenses and special teams. (still depressed, huh) There is also the make or break it being pushed on Ferentz. At worst he will probably be coaching 2 more seasons and there will likely be a bad year or two with a new staff. The bright side is this will probably be the worst it will be for a while. New facilities and hopefully some quality recruits, some legacies, (crosses fingers on Eppy) there is the potential for some good teams. in the next 3-5 years

The downfall of this program started when Norm Parker got sick. Norm covered up for KF's incompetence for many years. KF was exposed once he did not have Norm to hold his hand.

The downfall of this program started when Norm Parker got sick. Norm covered up for KF's incompetence for many years. KF was exposed once he did not have Norm to hold his hand.
win.jpg

Last year Iowa averaged 28 points you say. But last year was a weak schedule and the eyeball test and smell test dont pass muster.

For instance, ISU and Ball St totals were far under the avg which stunk because those teams were bad. Another way to say it would be a large variance from the mean or maybe two standard deviations from the mean. Iowa's big output was against indiana, jNW, maryland, Illinois and UNI and those were not strong teams or strong defensive teams.

My big problem with the hawks offense is they dont attack, they dont seem to try to draw a safety up and go behind them, or threaten a safety deep and settle in the seam or void left by the safety. The offense is mostly run in front of the defense and that is really hard to move the ball when no one breaks tackles. Granted CJ Jone and Mo Brown on the team the past few years would have really made a difference.

But we need to try to hit guys in stride at 8-15 yards and also go for the big pass play more. GD doesnt do it for me.
Exactly. It seems our offense tries to do exactly what our defense tries to force opposing offenses to do! Utter and complete insanity.

The correct thing to do when KOK left was a complete overhaul of an offensive philosophy that rarely ever had good results.

kirk needed to admitt to himself that times have changed and there are people that can do it better than him.

He needed to go hire the best offensive mind he could and give him the reigns. That's what was right for the program.

unfortunately change is not comfortable for Kirk and he was under no real pressure to win because of his ridiculouse contract so he did what was comfortable for him.

He went out and hired some old man who otherwise would not be coaching right now and is willing to go along with whatever Kirk wants to do.

Theres no blaming GD for this mess, it's Ferentz fault start to finish.

The correct thing to do when KOK left was a complete overhaul of an offensive philosophy that rarely ever had good results.

kirk needed to admitt to himself that times have changed and there are people that can do it better than him.

He needed to go hire the best offensive mind he could and give him the reigns. That's what was right for the program.

unfortunately change is not comfortable for Kirk and he was under no real pressure to win because of his ridiculouse contract so he did what was comfortable for him.

He went out and hired some old man who otherwise would not be coaching right now and is willing to go along with whatever Kirk wants to do.

Theres no blaming GD for this mess, it's Ferentz fault start to finish.

You hit the nail on the head here. Those that blame Davis, just don't get it, this is KF offense, this is what he wants. The offense is essentially the same as it was under KOK with some tweaks to the passing game is all. Very disappointing that KF choose to keep a poor offensive system in place when the rest of college football had passed by the relic of an offense 10 years ago.

The Greg Davis offense depends on playmakers. The KF offense is 11 lineman at all positions.

Iowa could roll out Vince Young, Limas Sweed and Lamar Charles and somehow this offense would still be stifled because KF's fingerprints would be all over it.

GD has been a flop ... His first comment when he arrived at Iowa is we need more speed at the receiver ... And yet, Davis has done nothing to bring in any receivers who can actually run whatever type offense Davis thinks it is he is running. Honestly ... I find myself tiring out even talking about the many problems in this program ... Kirk needs to go ... Bottomline ... No more excuses ... There are none to be made. Kirk is failing ... It's time for a change ... now ...

You hit the nail on the head here. Those that blame Davis, just don't get it, this is KF offense, this is what he wants. The offense is essentially the same as it was under KOK with some tweaks to the passing game is all. Very disappointing that KF choose to keep a poor offensive system in place when the rest of college football had passed by the relic of an offense 10 years ago.

Any highly competitive business will go stale without innovation and new ideas but when the CEO is still getting paid regardless of results it's a bad recipe.

Latest posts