Greg Davis

Hawkiam

I am accepting the fact that Ferentz will be returning for '15. Unless Ferentz is that complacent and lost in his own world I would think at the very least there has to be some change within his coaching staff, specifically his offense. Even if it is take some heat off himself.

What chance is there that he replaces Davis? And if so, who would you want?

If Barta is going to stand pat and not make a move I would think he would have to put some pressure of Kirk to make some changes.

I go back and forth with should he stay or go. I was listening to a podcast today and they asked the question who would we have not lost to if Beathard had started. I think for sure Iowa State and IMO Nebraska as well. My point I just can't make up my mind about Davis I think with Beatherd starting the final record is different and we aren't in meltdown. What happens to Kennedy if Davis goes do you guys trust he could adapt to a different style?

Just be prepared for the worst. I'm not sure it was all his play calling. I think Jake checked in to those two running plays against ISU. Nothing I can do about it. Sit back and see what happens I guess.

Ferentz has a demonstrated tolerance for less than stellar offense. KF is more concerned with blocking techniques and what he can coach - the details. And of course keeping the other team below 21 points.

[h=4]PASSING YARDS[/h]
242.053rdOverall

[h=4]RUSHING YARDS[/h]
156.373rdOverall

[h=4]POINTS FOR[/h]
28.373rdOverall

[h=4]POINTS AGAINST[/h]
24.042ndOverall

The problem is Captain Clueless. Until he is gone, nothing will change. Davis might retire, or be pushed out, but it doesn't matter, the problem is at the top. In the NU game alone Checkdown Charlie left 3 tds on the field because he cannot throw downfield, and/or doesn't see the field, and open receivers constantly. This offense would be completely different with CJ at qb, and an actual rb in the backfield. Who is responsible for playing the right players? Once again Captain Clueless is the problem.

Yet, another mentally challenged thread against Davis. This year's offense was equal to the THIRD highest in yards per game in the entire 16 years of the KF era. Chew on that awhile, bozos.

Davis will be gone within 6 weeks of our bowl game. KoK's "resignation" was announced on 2/3/12. After a grueling three and a half week search for a new OC, the Davis hire was announced on 2/27/12. Look for a similar timeline this year. Davis will "retire" sometime in late January/early February and KF will contrive a search for a new OC and award the job to current O-Line coach Brian Ferentz by the end of February. The offense will be better. It will appear as though KF made a good decision. KF will allow Brian more autonomy in the offensive game than he has any previous OC thus proving Brian is HC material. Kirk will willingly step away by the 2018 season on the contingency that Brian takes the reigns.

I sincerly hope the scenario doesn't play out like this but I don't see how it plays out any differently, barring a complete program meltdown the next two years (6-6 records or worse for two consecutive years).

Since many posters and KF feel the defense is more important to Iowa football, why haven't some of you guys suggested Phil Parker, Iowa's DC, be fired? Parker's had as much time as Iowa's DC as Davis has been Iowa's OC.

Last edited:
Iowa should try to get Doug Nussmeier former Michigan OC. He has NFL QB experience and a lot of experience coaching QB's. He has been almost exclusively a QB or a QB coach. That is the missing link for KF teams. He could run the offense he ran at Alabama.

Since many posters and KF feel the defense is more important to Iowa football, why haven't some of you guys suggested Phil Parker, Iowa's DC, be fired? Parker's had as much time as Iowa's DC as Davis has been Iowa's OC.

Because the Defense hasn't been as bad as the offense?? Seems pretty simple to me.

Yet, another mentally challenged thread against Davis. This year's offense was equal to the THIRD highest in yards per game in the entire 16 years of the KF era. Chew on that awhile, bozos.

That will tend to happen when you are playing from behind. You are FORCED to actually move the ball.

Iowa should try to get Doug Nussmeier former Michigan OC. He has NFL QB experience and a lot of experience coaching QB's. He has been almost exclusively a QB or a QB coach. That is the missing link for KF teams. He could run the offense he ran at Alabama.
Only one person gets in the way of that: KF.

That will tend to happen when you are playing from behind. You are FORCED to actually move the ball.
Are you indicting the offense or the defense? Like I said, why aren't some of you guys asking for the resignation of Phil? Especially since Iowa's defense is more important to KF. How do I know this? KF wants to run a game manager's offense.

Are you indicting the offense or the defense? Like I said, why aren't some of you guys asking for the resignation of Phil? Especially since Iowa's defense is more important to KF. How do I know this? KF wants to run a game manager's offense.

I'm not 100% sold on Phil Parker either, but to be fair, Iowa's defense was in the Top 10 nationally last year both in scoring defense and total defense. 2012 & 2014 under Parker certainly weren't as good, but our defense has easily ranked better nationally than our offense ever has in that time.

So if I was going to pick JUST ONE side of the ball where changes are most needed, it would certainly be the offense.

Now whether this is a KF issue or a GD issue (or both) is certainly a valid question.

KF can't expect to win games with his choice of pedestrian offense if he doesn't have a dominant defense. That's the way Alabama went. Game manager's offense and dominant defense until they ran into Malzone's (sic?) offense at Auburn. See, Saban wants to beat Auburn every year...

I'm assuming that you are serious.

Homer, listen to me, that is a low standard. Consider how Iowa ranks in the conference and nationally. And don't forget the eye test...how they played for all but maybe 12 quarters this season.

We definitely need someone who can develop qb's.

I'm assuming that you are serious.

Homer, listen to me, that is a low standard. Consider how Iowa ranks in the conference and nationally. And don't forget the eye test...how they played for all but maybe 12 quarters this season.
Exactly. Comparing Iowa's offense to previous Iowa offenses is like giving an award to the tallest munchkin.

Maybe Jay Norvell would like to come to Iowa. Yes it would be a latteral move but maybe he would come as a head coach in waiting.

GB better have a transition plan worked out.

Latest posts