Greg Davis out at Texas

Somebody needed to be the scapegoat and it sure the heck wasn't going to be their coach-in-waiting DC.

This move doesn't really make sense to me. Texas wanted to try to shift to a power running game this year. Davis has made his hay calling the spread for the 'Horns. It was a stupid decision to make that shift in the first place.

yes it was but to not be able to find a HB in texas or have an actual running game that isn't your QB is inexcusable.

This move doesn't really make sense to me. Texas wanted to try to shift to a power running game this year. Davis has made his hay calling the spread for the 'Horns. It was a stupid decision to make that shift in the first place.
Are you saying they shouldn't scheme to the players they have? Or should they recruit other players to make sure they fit the scheme?

Are you saying they shouldn't scheme to the players they have? Or should they recruit other players to make sure they fit the scheme?

Their running game hasn't been good since Vince Young/Jamaal Charles were in Austin. They've been recruiting for the spread for years now. It just seemed like an odd change at the time, and firing the OC for running a scheme that didn't fit the personnel (IIRC, Brown wanted to make the change in schemes) seems even stranger.

yes it was but to not be able to find a HB in texas or have an actual running game that isn't your QB is inexcusable.

If Davis was also the head recruiting guy, then you'd have a point here. But if he's not, he can only work with the pieces he's given. You would think it would be easy to find an elite RB in Texas, but they haven't had one in years (Cedric Benson was the last elite college tailback in Austin).

Looks like I see more reasons why the guy shouldn't have gotten fired then reasons why he should.

So much for the OP's intent in starting this thread.

Looks like I see more reasons why the guy shouldn't have gotten fired then reasons why he should.

So much for the OP's intent in starting this thread.

I think the point behind the Op's post was some schools don't settle for mediocre performances. This was the first year bad year for Texas and heads rolls. Of course Texas is a National Power House not like little ol Iowa.

Texas hasn't really had to develop the run game the last 5 or 6 years. VY, and Colt McCoy were superb running QB's, and colt was an amazing passer at the college level. The system had ventured off so far in one direction.

I don't think enough of the Texas players had a full set of marbles between their legs this year either, and that has a lot to do with the team sucking. Didn't see a lot of determination and desire outta those guys. No one seemed to care when KSU was stomping the last bits of life from them. Inexperienced QB, no big time play maker at receiver, and really no commitment to consistently run the ball by GD. Good luck with that.

I think the point behind the Op's post was some schools don't settle for mediocre performances. This was the first year bad year for Texas and heads rolls. Of course Texas is a National Power House not like little ol Iowa.

And for the reasons I've given, it was a stupid move to fire Davis. Yeah, they don't tolerate a bad year. They also made a stupid knee-jerk reaction.

And for the reasons I've given, it was a stupid move to fire Davis. Yeah, they don't tolerate a bad year. They also made a stupid knee-jerk reaction.
Davis should have been fired years ago. He has always had a tough time developing effective gameplans for his offense. He usually calls one good game a year. He is terrible on adjustments, and has been bailed out by the defense in most seasons. Sound similar to anyone?

He is being paid like a head coach at UT, so I wouldn't feel too bad for him if he does get the axe. He can just retire.

According to a Texas official “at this point (UT is) still in the evaluation process. Nothing has changed and no decisions have been made.”

Well....Davis was just running the offense Mack Brown wanted. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have heard this about KOK in the last three months.

Davis should have been fired years ago. He has always had a tough time developing effective gameplans for his offense. He usually calls one good game a year. He is terrible on adjustments, and has been bailed out by the defense in most seasons. Sound similar to anyone?

He is being paid like a head coach at UT, so I wouldn't feel too bad for him if he does get the axe. He can just retire.

Exactly. That is called accountability folks. In some programs there are expectations of performance; when those expectations are not met then the head of the program does what is in the best interests of the program instead of what is in the best interest of his buddy.

You can make the arguement that their expectations are unrealistic - but at least they HAVE EXPECTATIONS in the first place. KF literally has no expectations from the Offense, and last year proved it. We were nearly 100th in Offense last year - and that was not an exception. This year was better, but only because of the first half of the year. I can only imagine where Iowa's Offense ranks for the last half of the year.

The last time Texas finished outside the top 30 in total offense was 2002, and in that time, they routinely finished in the top 15. They have also been in the top 20 in scoring offense (routinely in the top 12) in that timeframe. Kind of hard to argue with the results there.

Latest posts