Greg Davis needs to learn what to do on 2nd and short yardage

uihawk82

The hawks had more than several drives where a good run or pass left 2nd and 2 yards to go and on many of those series we failed to get a first down.

What did I see at the stadium that seemed to cause this was GD calling a slow stretch play or maybe Jake audibling into that slow stretch play or maybe a few pass plays.

When you get 2nd and short, cold weather or not, against michigan or not, run the ball straight at them with weisman with a lead fullback, get the first down and start the next series

The hawks had more than several drives where a good run or pass left 2nd and 2 yards to go and on many of those series we failed to get a first down.

What did I see at the stadium that seemed to cause this was GD calling a slow stretch play or maybe Jake audibling into that slow stretch play or maybe a few pass plays.

When you get 2nd and short, cold weather or not, against michigan or not, run the ball straight at them with weisman with a lead fullback, get the first down and start the next series

We did that on several occasions and michigan blew it up. Especially on Nolan's side. He did not have a good game. I think the leash on Ruddock is short in regards to audibling to a pass from a run. There were several times where Michigan was stacking the box or calling run blitz that if he could have audibled to a quick slant or fade route that we would have been more successful. But i liked the play calling today for the most part. I didnt like the naked boot near the goal line but i think that was more a result of scripted first series than outright playcalling...

We did that on several occasions and michigan blew it up. Especially on Nolan's side. He did not have a good game. I think the leash on Ruddock is short in regards to audibling to a pass from a run. There were several times where Michigan was stacking the box or calling run blitz that if he could have audibled to a quick slant or fade route that we would have been more successful. But i liked the play calling today for the most part. I didnt like the naked boot near the goal line but i think that was more a result of scripted first series than outright playcalling...

We did what, what do you mean??? there were several or more times we had a 2nd and two and we should have run straight down their throats with a lead fullback just like when weisman had that punishing 9 yard TD run.

What I saw was something too fancy on 2nd and short.

Yeah you can go play action.

I guess my bigger gripe is the multiple times in the 2nd qtr when we couldnt get a first down or in the third qtr after the Tevaun Smith TD we got great field position 3 more times and hardly moved the ball with 2 3 and outs and a pick.

I also wonder why Canzeri didnt start

Have not seen very many, maybe 1, quick hitter to the FB this year. I'd like to see it. I think we have two really good Fullbacks. Don't even know their names.

We did what, what do you mean??? there were several or more times we had a 2nd and two and we should have run straight down their throats with a lead fullback just like when weisman had that punishing 9 yard TD run.

What I saw was something too fancy on 2nd and short.

Yeah you can go play action.

I guess my bigger gripe is the multiple times in the 2nd qtr when we couldnt get a first down or in the third qtr after the Tevaun Smith TD we got great field position 3 more times and hardly moved the ball with 2 3 and outs and a pick.

I also wonder why Canzeri didnt start

Weisman had a better day than Canzeri. I think the run game did fine, but the play-calling sequences can be mind-boggling. Near end of first half, we get a first down and seem to have no coherent follow-up play, then call route plays that are almost pre-destined for failure.

At least Kirk made him run that PA to CJF to help run out the clock.

The play calling in general needs a lot of work. When we were successful running the ball in the first half, we ran a flea - flicker on 1st down into the wind and then passed 2 more times before punting. When the stretch play was not working with Weisman, we kept on trying it.

Everything with our offense is hard. It seems like we have to do everything right to be successful. Other offenses are not built with perfect execution needed for success.

I would like to see 3 things from our offense:

1. A sense of urgency to score on each and every possession. The game has changed. A team needs to average 35 - 40 per game to win 10 to 12 games a year.
2. An emphasis on playing to our strengths. We need to play power football by going with extra OL and TE's. If they are going to put 8 in box on defense, let's put 9 in the box on offense and ram it down their throats.
3. An emphasis on exploiting the weaknesses of the opponent. If their DL is small but quick, let's put in extra OL and TE's and run right at them. If their front 7 is big and strong but not good laterally, let's run outside. If their corners and physical and not giving a cushion, then run a lot of crossing routes over the middle.

This is not on Greg Davis. For the most part, we run the same plays we ran with KOK. It's KF and his offensive philosophy.

I would like to see KF continue as our coach, but not allow him in the stadium on game day. His in game decision making is just terrible.

... I think the leash on Ruddock is short in regards to audibling to a pass from a run. There were several times where Michigan was stacking the box or calling run blitz that if he could have audibled to a quick slant or fade route that we would have been more successful.

I think this is accurate. This season I don't recall ever seeing Rudock audible into pass play. I think he is limited to switching the play into a dive or stretch run. Defenses are likely catching on to this as well and putting an extra guy in the box when Iowa audibles.

Weisman had a better day than Canzeri. I think the run game did fine, but the play-calling sequences can be mind-boggling. Near end of first half, we get a first down and seem to have no coherent follow-up play, then call route plays that are almost pre-destined for failure.

At least Kirk made him run that PA to CJF to help run out the clock.

That is part of what I am talking about. I cant remember the exact spot in the game but it was 2nd qtr, weisman runs for 6-7 yards then he has a big run then we go to pass and Jake throws a pick.

No rhythm in that sequence and many other sequences.

The play calling in general needs a lot of work. When we were successful running the ball in the first half, we ran a flea - flicker on 1st down into the wind and then passed 2 more times before punting. When the stretch play was not working with Weisman, we kept on trying it.

Everything with our offense is hard. It seems like we have to do everything right to be successful. Other offenses are not built with perfect execution needed for success.

This is not on Greg Davis. For the most part, we run the same plays we ran with KOK. It's KF and his offensive philosophy.

I would like to see KF continue as our coach, but not allow him in the stadium on game day. His in game decision making is just terrible.

Yeah but GD calls the plays, and I think he calls some good plays followed by some head scratchers when we can run straight at teams most of the time for short yardage,

I think this is accurate. This season I don't recall ever seeing Rudock audible into pass play. I think he is limited to switching the play into a dive or stretch run. Defenses are likely catching on to this as well and putting an extra guy in the box when Iowa audibles.

He audibled to a pass today. Or, let me restate. He called a bunch of stuff that appeared to be an audible, and we passed. I guess I'm not 100% sure he changed to a pass. My wife and I both commented on it.

That is part of what I am talking about. I cant remember the exact spot in the game but it was 2nd qtr, weisman runs for 6-7 yards then he has a big run then we go to pass and Jake throws a pick.

No rhythm in that sequence and many other sequences.

That was after we took over at the 2(?) yard line on KMM's terrible punt catch and return. Weisman ran for about 6, then 20. We were at the 28 or so and then Rudock threw the pick. But what do you expect? When we have rushing success, we just continue to run? Then everyone would scream how predictable we are.

GD playcallling can be frustrating, but I can't complain about that one.

I've often thought about that point above about urgency to score and keep scoring. I think GD's style is more aggressive than KOK. They don't take a knee before the half anymore which is nice.

I'd like to see Powell get more touches, but I wonder, maybe he needs to get open more and he'll get more balls thrown his way. Can't really tell by watching TV.

That was after we took over at the 2(?) yard line on KMM's terrible punt catch and return. Weisman ran for about 6, then 20. We were at the 28 or so and then Rudock threw the pick. But what do you expect? When we have rushing success, we just continue to run? Then everyone would scream how predictable we are.

GD playcallling can be frustrating, but I can't complain about that one.

That 2nd INT in the first half was allllll on Jake...he had Hamilton underneath with nobody around him.

Overall, I was happy with the play calling from GD.
Other than the first audible, it seemed that just every audible Jake calls, it's a stretch run to the left.
Running Weisman to the edge just never seems to work.

If it's 2nd or 3rd and short, we should be running it straight up the middle with our FBs.
We were winning the LOS today.

Overall, I was happy with the play calling from GD.
Other than the first audible, it seemed that just every audible Jake calls, it's a stretch run to the left.
Running Weisman to the edge just never seems to work.

If it's 2nd or 3rd and short, we should be running it straight up the middle with our FBs.
We were winning the LOS today.

What he said

Particularly when everyone in the stadium knows what the play is...it's no wonder Dline is jumping the gap created by our zone blocking and nailing Weisman for 2 yd loss.

Latest posts