Greenway mentions possible staff shakeup

Section136

Chad Greenway is on KFAN out of the Twin Cities every Thursday around the 11 AM hour. I got in my car for lunch right when the host, Paul Allen, was talking about the Iowa football program and he said "I dont pay attention to NCAA football as close as the pro game but I hope there is no grumblings in Iowa City about wanting to get rid of Ferentz".

He went on to say that he is a big Ferentz fan and thought he was a great coach. Greenway responded saying that Ferentz is not in any danger and that the Hawks just had a rough year but were still in every ballgame they played. His last comment caught me by surprise and it was "You could see some changes in the coaching staff down there, but Ferentz is not going anywhere".

I am in no way expecting a change to any of the staff but I did find it surprising that Greenway, who was in the program for 5 years, would think that KF would make any changes.

It's not hard to feel changes are near considering the health of Norm. Iowa needs stability in the coaching ranks and when your Defensive Coordinator has issues it's only a matter of time before they have to address them. Sad but true.

"you could see some changes." is saying it's a possibility, not a probability. It's like saying "KF could be the next coach of Penn St." I wouldn't bet any money on it, but it's not a crazy thought.

Why does everyone think Norm will not retire? I would not be surprised by that all and that is a major shakeup.

Did you not read my last sentence when I said I was not expecting any changes? Just posting what was said by a former player.

I did, you said you were suprised that Greenway would think KF would make changes.

Based on what you quoted Greenway saying I think your are reading too much into his comments.

Did you not read my last sentence when I said I was not expecting any changes? Just posting what was said by a former player.

Then you titled your post wrong- because Greenway didn't mention possible staff changes- he only stated that he could possibly see where/why they would make changes (in his opinion)

Our coaching staff is a pretty good one, when it comes to developing talent and creating squads that usually play disciplined football. However, one thing I feel the staff is not good at, is recruiting quality players who also have good character. I mean, if we look back, aren't the players who've been kicked off the team for various reasons from our best recruiting classes?

Our coaching staff is a pretty good one, when it comes to developing talent and creating squads that usually play disciplined football. However, one thing I feel the staff is not good at, is recruiting quality players who also have good character. I mean, if we look back, aren't the players who've been kicked off the team for various reasons from our best recruiting classes?

Character has nothing to do with it. I mean a pay4play player is playing in the NC game.

Yes but some of them aren't highly regarded recruits. I believe that Douglas, Bowman, and Cleveland were 2 stars. nelson might have been a 3.

Chad Greenway is on KFAN out of the Twin Cities every Thursday around the 11 AM hour. I got in my car for lunch right when the host, Paul Allen, was talking about the Iowa football program and he said "I dont pay attention to NCAA football as close as the pro game but I hope there is no grumblings in Iowa City about wanting to get rid of Ferentz".

He went on to say that he is a big Ferentz fan and thought he was a great coach. Greenway responded saying that Ferentz is not in any danger and that the Hawks just had a rough year but were still in every ballgame they played. His last comment caught me by surprise and it was "You could see some changes in the coaching staff down there, but Ferentz is not going anywhere".

I am in no way expecting a change to any of the staff but I did find it surprising that Greenway, who was in the program for 5 years, would think that KF would make any changes.

He could also have been speculating about a Norm Parker retirement. Or he could have just been saying 'If there is going to be a coaching change it won't be at the top.'

I doubt he was trying to say he has some inside knowledge.

I challenge you to provide data to back up your statement... meaning I want data that proves that the number of recruits that reflect "bad" character is worse then other D-1 programs in the nation. Show me where they are worse than average in this category...

Greenway is going to make the drive down and suplex KOK out of his office window.

The Iowa Florida Outback bowl was rebroadcast on ESPNU last night. The one with the horrible officiating. I watched just long enough to see Greenway whiff on a block that allowed a blocked punt for a TD......

staffs at iowa have to take a run at some players that might be risky. hayden fry said that himself. we are iowa, recruiting is tough. the majority, vast majority of our players have not gotten into any trouble. they do their best job at mitigating risk, but at the end of the day the dice is sometimes rolled.

take the blinders off and look at programs that lose kids for one reason or another. i guarantee most lose more than 1 a year.

it seems more apparent because we are in a fishbowl here in IA.

Sorry my friend, your headline does not match what Chad actually said. Greenway did not come out and say the staff will be shaken up. He mentioned in passing that he could possibly see some changes taking place. Big difference between what Chad said and the headline you wrote.

Latest posts