"Green" out game...

sandhawk20

I know we get inundated with these spirit/color games and some people think it's hokey, or a hassle, or just want to be different so they choose not to participate. Even though I participate in those games, I can fully understand the sentiments of those who choose not to. However, this time it's a little different and I hope everyone tries their hardest to participate and/or spread the word.

Sorry to sound preachy on a Friday, but I find myself moved by this issue, and I don't get moved very often.

What is Greenwood's status these days?

I know we get inundated with these spirit/color games and some people think it's hokey, or a hassle, or just want to be different so they choose not to participate. Even though I participate in those games, I can fully understand the sentiments of those who choose not to. However, this time it's a little different and I hope everyone tries their hardest to participate and/or spread the word.

Sorry to sound preachy on a Friday, but I find myself moved by this issue, and I don't get moved very often.

I know. Frankly it's irritating as crap to be told what to do. Imagine when the staduim shows up in green on TV and the announcers have to explain that we're doing all of this crap because some dude, who happened to be a Hawkeye at one time, collapsed and this is our way to show his family support. People are going to think we're sappy, gimmicky aholes. A+ for you friend.

I know. Frankly it's irritating as crap to be told what to do. Imagine when the staduim shows up in green on TV and the announcers have to explain that we're doing all of this crap because some dude, who happened to be a Hawkeye at one time, collapsed and this is our way to show his family support. People are going to think we're sappy, gimmicky aholes. A+ for you friend.

Yea, it's like communist Russia being asked to wear a certain color one game out of the year. I don't know how you put up with the oppression. It's especially ridiculous that people are asking other people (not even being asked by the University) to wear green. I mean, when you're being asked by someone to wear green, how can you say no?? It's just terrible! I can understand what a burden this is on you. I'm sure it will be terribly difficult for people to understand. Brett Greenwood who played for Iowa JUST LAST SEASON is in a medically induced coma. The fans are wearing green as a show of support. I don't know how people watching on TV will ever be able to keep up with that extraordinarily complicated explanation. We will really look like sappy, gimmicky aholes for supporting a player who was just on the team last year, and a teammate of 90% of the current roster. You sir, are a pathetic moron.

Maybe I misunderstood his point. There are a ton of threads all over Hawkeye message boards about going green. Why start a new one? The first time I read it, the post seemed a little passive aggressive in saying he'd do this. The second time I read it with a different tone.

I just don't get people who are making this into a big deal. The kid is a Hawkeye. It's a great gesture of support for him and his family. The TV audience will know Hawkeye Nation has each others' backs. Seems like a great thing to me. Not sure why so many people are peeing on this parade.

Last edited:
Maybe I misunderstood his point. There are a ton of threads all over Hawkeye message boards about going green. Why start a new one? The first time I read it, the post seemed a little passive aggressive in saying he'd do this. The second time I read it with a different tone.

I just don't get people who are making this into a big deal. The kid is a Hawkeye. It's a great gesture of support for him and his family. The TV audience will know Hawkeye Nation has each others' backs. Seems like a great thing to me. Not sure why so many people are peeing on this parade.

Completely agree with your second paragraph. I don't understand why people get so uptight about being asked to wear a certain color for a game, especially in this case where it's in support of a former player.

This is why the Cyclones can never pull something like this off. They get way too uptight, and have the attitude of "how dare someone tell me what to wear!" and then instead of a red-out or gold-out it's just the usual blend of both.

Sad that you have to put the last part of your post in so people will not be lost.

It is sad. But sadly there will be some that would blast me for not knowing about Greenwood, and then the majority who would blast me for spelling Greene's last name wrong. And a handful who would have caught the humor.

go big green. may your health improve tenfold.

on a side note. isn't it scary how someone can be in better shape then eighty percent of people and still have heart issues? my friends cousin collapse and died in a marathon at 31. he never took any sketchy supplements.

please get better Greenwood.

I think wearing green is the least we can do to support Brett and his family. He grew up down the street from us in Bettendorf and I've know him since he was 3 or 4 years old. Quiet kid but very intense and unbelievable teammate. Never wanted to be in the lime light ... just did his job extremely well and always made the team look better.

I still remember shaking his hand at the senior awards night at Pleasant Valley High after he announced he was going to try and walk on for the Hawks. Not many thought he would get much playing time but after red shirting he ended up starting for 4 straight years.

Hard to believe somebody in such great shape could go down like that but he is a fighter and will be back ...

Hopefully the Hawks can score often this Saturday and he can hear the crowd from his room at UIHC.

I will be there wearing green. Go Hawks ... Fight on Brett!

Latest posts