Grateful to Miller but I'm Searching for Answers

It is extremely depressing to read Jon's take on Iowa basketball because I know he loves it like I do. I guess I want to hold on to the belief that things will get better a little longer than he does. I don't think Jon attends games anymore but I could be wrong. When you see these kids bust their tales in person and see the expressions on their faces, it is hard not to like this team.

It is really hard to be a good fan right now. All we really can do is give as much support as we can and hope for better days. If there are major defections after this season I don't know what I will do.

Alot of the folks I talk to at the games are not nearly so negative as the board posters. That offers some encouragement I guess. We really need to eke out a few more wins.

I agree Hooper. It is getting very hard to give full support. I also agree that the message boards are much more negative than being there in person but that is true for all things.

In terms of the players, I want May, Gatens, Payne, Fuller, Cougill and Cole to have success because I think it is a hard working core. They came to Iowa for the right reasons. They are fighting. If one of these players leaves than I will say for sure that it is time for a change.

In terms of coach, in listening to his post game talks he just says things that are very bizzare. I know the our fans are not as good as some places but he always gives back-handed comments. I agree with Jon that these latest comments about his son make me question things even more. This team needs to play well tonight to show that he hasn't lost them. It will be interesting to watch how Cully plays and the minutes of John. I think the next four games will tell us for sure if he has lost this team. If he has then you start the coaching search before the season ends so you can get a jump on the hiring process.

Hooper,

No, I don't come over for the basketball games. With 4am wake up call for the morning show, that's not gonna work out..then again, I didn't have a strong desire to come over for games last year, either. I am not excited about it. Part of that is getting older I guess and having two young kids...but then again, I can't wait for each college football game...and that includes days when Iowa is not on.

I certainly appreciate the fight these kids give...and I can see it on TV. I don't think my being in the arena for games is going to help me understand how John Lickliter plays 24 minutes, or understand Todd's comments on John should have played more earlier this year, or the fact that Iowa is destined to have the worst three year winning percentage in the history of the Iowa basketball program.

While Alford was flirting with Dick Schultz like mediocrity, Lickliter is going to have a three year winning percentage below .400.

I see the kids busting their tails for each other. I respect and admire them for that. Matt Gatens, in an athletic sense, is going to be a tragic figure in the history of Iowa sports. He always wanted to be a Hawkeye and he became one at what is factually proving to be the lowest point in the history of the program.

I wish I felt differently because as I said before, I like Todd, I like all of the assistants. I think Walthall has done a very good job on the recruiting trails as of late.

But as I have said in this post and others, the evidence is not there to support realistic hope right now...we are looking at Lotto Scratch ticket hope right now...that's hoping for hope stuff...and I don't think you can sell a program to an awesome fanbase that loves Iowa basketball with that product, over the long term. I wish things were different. But they are not.

Latest posts