Grade the football team.

I'm not saying we will never lose. I'm saying that as a fan I can't ever see me getting to the point where a loss to ISU is acceptable. Every year I go into that game feeling it should be a win for Iowa. I doubt that ever changes for me.

As I'm sure is the case for most fans who are of the age that really picked up football around the start of the Fry era-through the mid-90s. (Since the resumption of the Iowa-ISU series). That's really all you knew.

Iowa beats ISU 42-10.

Every year.

But, things have changed somewhat, maybe they'll continue to change, maybe they'll revert, but despite what everyone has been conditioned to, the ISU teams of the late 80s and mid-90s are not comparable to the mid-2000s or current ISU team. It then stands to reason, at some point, if ISU keeps improving, Iowa stagnates (or continues to stagnate/regresses), that's not really going to be a shocking or unexpected loss.

Imagine for the fans that really started to hit "football awareness" in the late 90's, early 2000s.

Iowa is a sub-.500 team against ISU.

How many more decades (decade and a half) of 6-7 will it take before that attitude changes.

We're on the verge of spawning a new generation of Iowa and Iowa State fans that no nothing of dominance in the series and nothing but competitiveness.

but it is totally moronic to believe we won't loose to them. its just unadulterated stupidity.

We got a learning disability here?

images

You know there were a lot of preseason publications that pegged Iowa towards the bottom of the Legends division. Last year Iowa under performed but this years team, record wise, met expectations. Again, I will take a 7-5 (4-4) season with a bowl game for a down year. I cannot recall a single preseason prediction from any "expert" that had Iowa competing for the Leaders title. Iowa came within an onsides kick at Minnesota of making the final game against Nebraska relevant.

D-. We had 1 good win against Michigan. Unless the whole team gets food poisoning and we have to forfeit, there is no excuse to ever lose to ISU or Minny. No excuse. When Iowa loses to either of these teams on the road, I think they and the coaches should have to make their own way home and not suck up any more university dollars.

For the record, I think Michigan is the worst 10-2 BCS game contentder I have ever seen.

Final Grade: C-

QB: C
RB: B
TE: D
OL: B
WR: B+
Offense: C+

DL: C
LB: C -
DB:C
Saf: C-
Defense: C

K: B-
KO:C+
KR: C
P: A-
FG/ PR: F
Special Teams: C- ( The punt team grade totally skewed this)

HC: C -
OC: D+
DC: C+
ST: F
Coaching: D

I give the team a C-.

The offense had the potential to be very good but against good defenses they were either out coached or had no back up plan. Coker was as expected, receivers were good, the line was average and QB was average at best (I do not think he improved much during the season)

Defense was frustrating. The line was not good but Binns came on as the season went on, the lb's were average hard to hold up with the line in front of them, the db's were disappointing to me, I think Prater and Hyde really missed Sash and Greenwood.

Special Teams kicking and punting was ok but our return teams were bad. Punt returners please catch the damn ball.

You know there were a lot of preseason publications that pegged Iowa towards the bottom of the Legends division. Last year Iowa under performed but this years team, record wise, met expectations. Again, I will take a 7-5 (4-4) season with a bowl game for a down year. I cannot recall a single preseason prediction from any "expert" that had Iowa competing for the Leaders title. Iowa came within an onsides kick at Minnesota of making the final game against Nebraska relevant.

Not to nitpick but the Minnesota loss had no bearing on whether the Nebraska game could have been for Legends title. They still would have had to beat Michigan State regardless of the Minnesota outcome.

Latest posts