Goodson Combine

and? So if Long went to the Dolphins, Bears, Giants, 49ers, Redskins he would have been all-pro? Don't think so (and you'll have to look long and hard to find a bigger Chuck Long fan).

The league is loaded with great players on bad teams.
Read the history. Detroit hired a new OC, Mouse Davis, in 1988.

They went to the gimmicky run and shoot offense, something CL wasn't built for.
Rodney Peete was apparently.

He was traded to LA in 90 because of it. He went back to Detroit and sat.

Put CL in a Pro Set offense like he played at Iowa and he would have been a star.

The QB position requires mentoring, grooming, etc. Ask Aaron Rodgers. Ask Matt Stafford who blossomed after joining a decent team. CL had neither. He was far from a bust.

and? So if Long went to the Dolphins, Bears, Giants, 49ers, Redskins he would have been all-pro? Don't think so (and you'll have to look long and hard to find a bigger Chuck Long fan).

The league is loaded with great players on bad teams.
The Lions f-up his arm. Never the same after his injury. Still sat behind Everett in LA for a whole season as back-up and that son of a gun didn't miss a snap all year. Chuck was a victim of some crappy luck, bad organization, and few chances.

While Gallery was originally seen as a bust as an LT and #2 pick, he actually started out as a RT with the Raiders and did well for 2 seasons before moving to LT and playing poorly during a horrible season overall for the Raiders. He eventually switched to Guard and ended up having a good career there if I remember correctly.

I'm not saying Gallery was a bad player in the NFL, but if a team drafts you number 2 and you don't make it at least 4 years as a solid LT, you are a bust. You don't draft guards number 2.

I'm not saying Gallery was a bad player in the NFL, but if a team drafts you number 2 and you don't make it at least 4 years as a solid LT, you are a bust. You don't draft guards number 2.
No problem. We just have different definitions of bust. He definitely didn't live up to his draft status, but became a very solid O-lineman.

The Lions f-up his arm. Never the same after his injury. Still sat behind Everett in LA for a whole season as back-up and that son of a gun didn't miss a snap all year. Chuck was a victim of some crappy luck, bad organization, and few chances.
By gawd I bench Everett’s ass in Super Tecmo Bowl and Long puts up monster numbers!!!!

Latest posts