Goodbye Holiday Bowl and hello Belk Bowl

I am trying to understand the appeal of Liberty, New Mexico, and Birmingham in this lineup. I guess they are shorter drives if you are driving from Iowa. Do you usually drive to the bowl games?

Locations my man. I’ve always wanted the B1G to be tied in to the New Mexico Bowl. Move the date to the 26th and give one of our 6-6/7-5 teams a shot at the top two teams in the MWC. Then Birmingham could be the default last tie in over Detroit.

It's good the bowls rotate over time with new cities to visit.

Kiind of sad to see San Diego go away but I suspect the B1G will be back at some point. The citizens of San Diego wouldn't fund $$ for the Chargers and lost them so the Holiday isn't very important to them in the big picture. Rob's podcast said San Diego St is going to upgrade the stadium and supposeding they can find the funds it should return as a good venue. IMO, you can't beat San Diego.

The Vegas Bowl has great potential. Who wouldn't want to go to a game there, nothing but fun. I would suspect this bowl will move up in the ppecking order of getting B1G teams over time.

Don't know what the bowl in Charlotte, NC will be called but it won't be BELK BOWL. Belk is pulling out. By the way, today it was almost 70 F. Charlotte is a nice town to live in, but not much there for the tourist. Unless you like nascar or golf. An hour or so from the Smokey Mountains and a couple hours from the beach. Oh and 90 miles from Greensboro in case you want to come and see me.

https://nsjonline.com/article/2019/12/one-final-belk-bowl-before-new-sponsor-steps-in/

Belk is only in the South, so it makes sense for them to sponsor an ACC-SEC game, but if it is going to be a team from the Midwest, it makes no sense for them to sponsor the bowl anymore. I'm also about 90 minutes from Charlotte and I haven't even been there yet. Other than going to the track, which is low on the list of tracks I want to visit, there ain't anything that appeals to me there.

Has to be somewhere warm. I've been given permission to plan next winters vacation around an Iowa bowl.

With next year's schedule it might be iffy to get to 6 wins. They should be if there are still problems with the Oline and a new qb and if the defense falls off just a little it could be tough. A good chance for 3 conf losses in a row with the State teams and then some other tough games. Hawks have to win all 3 non -conf games

With next year's schedule it might be iffy to get to 6 wins. They should be if there are still problems with the Oline and a new qb and if the defense falls off just a little it could be tough. A good chance for 3 conf losses in a row with the State teams and then some other tough games. Hawks have to win all 3 non -conf games

I can't get a good read on the team next year. If the line we saw against USC shows up and we have a good QB, 10-11 wins is reasonably possible given what everyone else is losing. If we have a problem with either the line or QB, we could realistically be looking at 4 or 5 wins.

Yeah, everyone is going to have to take advantage of the off-season to the fullest, but we will be alright. Other teams are losing players too. That's how it goes.

Big Ten will not go back to Holiday unless it upgrades the stadium or replaces it.

I talked with someone who works in the media out there. The plan is for SDSU to buy that land and build a smaller stadium.

I talked with someone who works in the media out there. The plan is for SDSU to buy that land and build a smaller stadium.

Is the stadium falling apart or something? I just don't see why SDSU would need to rebuild a stadium unless it is structurally unsound. Seems like a giant waste of money for a program of that stature and with the way football could be going, it's not a slam dunk that they would be able to even get a 30 year life out of it to amortize it.

Is the stadium falling apart or something? I just don't see why SDSU would need to rebuild a stadium unless it is structurally unsound. Seems like a giant waste of money for a program of that stature and with the way football could be going, it's not a slam dunk that they would be able to even get a 30 year life out of it to amortize it.

Yes, it's falling apart. Also, here's the plans ...

Losing the Holiday Bowl sucks. Perfect location, perfect weather, great city with world class attractions.

Belk is only in the South, so it makes sense for them to sponsor an ACC-SEC game, but if it is going to be a team from the Midwest, it makes no sense for them to sponsor the bowl anymore. I'm also about 90 minutes from Charlotte and I haven't even been there yet. Other than going to the track, which is low on the list of tracks I want to visit, there ain't anything that appeals to me there.

go up to the hills and find some distilleries. maybe go fishin.

maybe put on that navy blue suit and starched white shirt and interview at Wells Fargo or Bank of America HQs.

nascar museum,

Why not concentrate on the playoffs like a top tier program??? I don’t think Alabama, OSU or Oklahoma worries about affiliation until a disaster happens. Maybe we should change our expectations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona get back in the mix at some point. The Insight Bowl moved to the downtown Phoenix baseball stadium and became the Cheez It Bowl when Arizona Statte began renovating Sun Devil Stadium.

Arizona, Florida, California, Texas are all good bowl destination. In fact, rotating through them as a program is usually good for recruiting purposes.

Also, I think that new bowl, the Myrtle Beach Bowl has potential down the road.

Rose
Citrus
Alamo
Holiday
Vegas
Music City
Liberty
New Mexico
Birmingham

This should be the conference lineup. Of course you can get the CFP and other NY6 invite.

I kinda like it, I like bowl games that I can drive to. I love Memphis bbq and Beale Street, I would probably go to a Liberty Bowl game if the Hawks went.

We need the Alamo Bowl back! I have no interest in seeing Iowa play in the New Mexico or Birmingham bowls. Might be good places for Nebraska fans to visit if they can ever win 6 games again.

Latest posts