Good win

I was pretty pleased. Held another opponent way below their scoring average. Won another tough game against a tough defense.

Win at Lincoln and we would have 9 wins with the potential for 10. I know that's a huge IF at this point, but Iowa has played a really tough schedule.

The two games we've played since Wisconisn we were supposed to get rolled because the others teams were rolling over opponents.

Minnesota has superior QB and skill position players. Fail.
Illinois is on a roll and has better QB and skill position players. Fail.
Even some posters believed Purdue and NW were questionable.

Nebraska I'm sure is an insurmountable task now that they rolled Maryland.

The two games we've played since Wisconisn we were supposed to get rolled because the others teams were rolling over opponents.

Love the last sentence. Classic.

Nebraska can take their red balloons, fake 330 consecutive sell outs, pretentious, deluded self worth and stick it up their arse.

I was pretty pleased. Held another opponent way below their scoring average. Won another tough game against a tough defense.

Win at Lincoln and we would have 9 wins with the potential for 10. I know that's a huge IF at this point, but Iowa has played a really tough schedule.
Illinois has the 102nd ranked rushing defense in the nation. They do not have a tough defense.

Illinois has the 102nd ranked rushing defense in the nation. They do not have a tough defense.
A lot of Iowa running plays seem to end up going in the direction the defense is moving. Hard to find holes when the defense has plugged them all before the running back even gets there. I don’t know why that is but it seems it happens a lot.

A lot of Iowa running plays seem to end up going in the direction the defense is moving. Hard to find holes when the defense has plugged them all before the running back even gets there. I don’t know why that is but it seems it happens a lot.

It is not that the illini defense was already moving the direction our running plays were going it is just that our running plays about 95% of the time do go toward whichever direction our players first move.

If our QB is under center and at the snap pivots to the right then 95% of the time if it is a run it is going to the right and the same thing if the QB pivots to the left. If we are in shotgun and the running back is to the left of our qb/Nate then a handoff to the running back usually means a run to the right, our running back mostly takes a handoff crossing in front of the QB and our QB hardly ever keeps a ball in shotgun.

It has been this way for 20 years and teams have been flowing to the first movement of our offensive linemen for 20 years. That is why I have been really wanting more counter plays in our running game.

It is not that the illini defense was already moving the direction our running plays were going it is just that our running plays about 95% of the time do go toward whichever direction our players first move.

If our QB is under center and at the snap pivots to the right then 95% of the time if it is a run it is going to the right and the same thing if the QB pivots to the left. If we are in shotgun and the running back is to the left of our qb/Nate then a handoff to the running back usually means a run to the right, our running back mostly takes a handoff crossing in front of the QB and our QB hardly ever keeps a ball in shotgun.

It has been this way for 20 years and teams have been flowing to the first movement of our offensive linemen for 20 years. That is why I have been really wanting more counter plays in our running game.

Not sure why we dont see 5-6 counters a game, especially with a guy like Goodson.

Makes sense.
Counter plays. Do you mean like the pitch to Goodson on the first drive against Minnesota?

Makes sense.
Counter plays. Do you mean like the pitch to Goodson on the first drive against Minnesota?

Yes that is a counter where in that play the blocking went to the right, the running back took a false but full step to the right but then the pitch went back to the left to the running back Goodson moving fast to the left.

KOK and BF also do the occasional counter where Nate or the QB turns one way after the snap and shows like he is handing the ball off that way but then the QB keeps pivoting to the other side and the running back takes that false step one way but comes back to take the handoff the other way. And of course there are other counter plays that can be run.

So that were stacking the box and shooting LBs through gaps on zones like every other team does.
And we threw the ball all over the field so that was (a) scratching where it itches and (b) exciting.

Or are you planning to zig whenever Iowa does a zag on your Haterz playbook.

No but I bet it takes more than 19 points.

So that were stacking the box and shooting LBs through gaps on zones like every other team does.
And we threw the ball all over the field so that was (a) scratching where it itches and (b) exciting.

Or are you planning to zig whenever Iowa does a zag on your Haterz playbook.

Totally spot on. Might bring up the passing percentage though. Lots of yards. Lots of ugly passes.

Iowa tight ends seem insecure in the passing game.

It was a rough game. I was concerned mostly because I knew that Illinois has been able to come back from deep deficits to win. That was constant in my mind until the last two minutes.

The offense missed some good opportunities. And the running game didn't do much. However, I think the threat of Goodson kept Illinois defense in the box. Which opened up some passing opportunities. Nate was erratic in the beginning but he eventually settled down. The offensive line did a good job on pass protection.

the officiating was atrocious. The announcers were all pro Illinois. They were doing their best to lobby for Stone to get ejected for targeting.

The defense. They bent and they broke down once but overall great job. Holding a prolific offense to 10 points. They were on the field most of the game but they never stopped fighting. Once again, defense saved the day.

You're right. They just create a lot of turnovers (except for yesterday).

Yeah, you gotta ignore Caddy, these wins are really starting to piss him off. Heck he is getting so tired of them he has decide that he needs to bitch when Iowa wins so he can get some of it off his chest instead of waiting for the losses.

Latest posts