Good win today, beat a good team

I just hope we can make deep run first in the Big 10 Tournament. Fran hasn't done well so far with this.

For sure. Some wrongs can be righted by Fran to end this season and he could finally say he has accomplished more than just getting back to the NCAAs. Stick around for awhile in the Big Ten Tournament and make it past the first weekend in the Big Dance.

I just hope we can make deep run first in the Big 10 Tournament. Fran hasn't done well so far with this.
I’ll be ok if they only get one and then done, extra rest imo for this team would be just as beneficial as another game. Most years I wouldn’t feel that way, but this team has been tested enough, rest is huge now imo

I'd like to see them at least make it to Saturday in the Big 10 tourney. It would probably lock them in as a 4 seed and the road to the sweet 16 would be easier as a 4 or 5 seed verse a 6 or 7.

I’ll be ok if they only get one and then done, extra rest imo for this team would be just as beneficial as another game. Most years I wouldn’t feel that way, but this team has been tested enough, rest is huge now imo
Oddly enough, with Pemsl and Evelyn playing well we have a plenty long bench to make a run, and get Joe W and Garza rests throughout the game. Today Fran probably wished he would have got Pemsl back in there more in the 2H and Toussaint too, a lot of guys were contributing.

Oddly enough, with Pemsl and Evelyn playing well we have a plenty long bench to make a run, and get Joe W and Garza rests throughout the game. Today Fran probably wished he would have got Pemsl back in there more in the 2H and Toussaint too, a lot of guys were contributing.
Pemsl is starting to play some real solid ball and providing quality minutes off the bench. He looks much more comfortable out there now compared to the first 15 games. 6 points and 6 boards today in 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Pemsl is starting to play seam real solid ball and providing quality minutes off the bench. He looks much more comfortable out there now compared to the first 15 games. 6 points and 6 boards today in 15 minutes.
Agreed. Kriener only played 17 and he did some nice things as well. We could have probably stretched those two out closer to 20.

8 guys is plenty of we are confident in all of them which seems to be the case. I did mention that the last few games with CJ out it seemed like it allowed Evelyn, Kriener and Pemsl to really gain a lot of confidence in bigger roles. Now we have 8 guys playing confidently, well we will once Joe W gets going again.

Some of us (myself included) have ragged on Fran for his temper and lack of self control in the past.

Today you saw a real difference in the two teams. Both played physical aggressive ball. One more or less accepted when officiating calls didn’t go their way. Players on the other team got upset and frustrated when they didn’t feel they were treated fairly, leading to TWO player technical fouls which resulted in Iowa points at a critical point and Iowa possession.

Kudos to Fran, his staff and players for a program that appears to play within itself.

Didn't see game, caught it on the radio. Some posters back on Wednesday said that having the extra day off and not having to travel for an early start would be huge, and this seems to have borne out.

Bobby Hansen made multiple observations in the second half that Penn State looked tired and fatigued. Chambers alluded to it a bit in the presser as well, said his players stopped concentrating mentally, hence the two T's, and that they would need to keep their poise in the future.

Last edited:
Agreed. Kriener only played 17 and he did some nice things as well. We could have probably stretched those two out closer to 20.

8 guys is plenty of we are confident in all of them which seems to be the case. I did mention that the last few games with CJ out it seemed like it allowed Evelyn, Kriener and Pemsl to really gain a lot of confidence in bigger roles. Now we have 8 guys playing confidently, well we will once Joe W gets going again.
It would be great if we could blow out Purdue and get both Pemsl and Kriener 20-22 minutes and limit Garza's minutes in prep for the Illini on the road. It's that time of year when guys are wearing down a bit.

I'd like to see them at least make it to Saturday in the Big 10 tourney. It would probably lock them in as a 4 seed and the road to the sweet 16 would be easier as a 4 or 5 seed verse a 6 or 7.

Well if they get the double bye wouldn’t that mean they start out on Saturday? I’m not sure how that works, but shouldn’t a double bye in the BTT mean your only one game away from the championship? If not that means your playing three games in a row if you win it all. At that point the double bye would be meaningless.

I think it's pretty obvious that the long minutes Garza is playing this season are starting to wear him down a bit. Yea, yea, I know: 25 pts & 17 rebounds! But two of his last 4 halves have been a struggle offensively, and without the garbage buckets at the end he barely gets to 20 pts at home...and it took 28 shots to get those points. He's a young guy, but he's human. His energy and fight are incredible, but I'm concerned if Iowa ends up playing multiple BTen tourney games on consecutive days how it will all play out.

Well if they get the double bye wouldn’t that mean they start out on Saturday? I’m not sure how that works, but shouldn’t a double bye in the BTT mean your only one game away from the championship? If not that means your playing three games in a row if you win it all. At that point the double bye would be meaningless.
The DB means you start play Friday in the quarter finals. Yes. 3 wins and you're BTT Champs.

Remember, please remember ladies and gentlemen, the Big Ten Tournament is a double elimination this year.............;)

Latest posts