Good read

I saw this posted the other on my FB feed. I was surprised by the source.
Then I wondered if it were technically true and spent more time thinking about it than I should.

I just deleted my mental diarrhea because entirely TLDR.

At first I thought "no" because statistics. Football draws way more eyeballs and interest.
Even with football being diluted among many "stars", I was linking 'popularity' with 'awareness'

But, I forget about all the people who are not sports people. You know, the ones on Jeopardy that go through a whole sports category without getting a single answer. More of them are aware of her than any other current collegiate basketball player. Possibly more than any point in recent history. And they have zero idea who Penix or McCarthy is. Once you include "sports fans", there's so much dilution in football that most people couldn't decide who is more popular between Corum and Harrison. Let alone Penix or Nix. Or whoever it was who won the Heisman this year.

In all....it's true. It's all true. And I'm outright proud that it's happening at the school I graduated from and the state that I admire so much.

Thanks for posting this nice find. I really enjoy seeing how others outside the already built in fan base of hers thinks about everything. It more then confirms some of what I and others have thought about how big she is. He didn't even get into the endorsement side of things at all. He was all in on her game and why that's what draws folks. She is really that good and I'm glad it's being recognized and fawned over. There's a dang good chance we won't see it again. I was too young for Pistol Pete really I only saw his later yrs when he was a shell of himself in Boston. As far as on the floor play in college his game is bout the only thing to compare hers too.

I'll venture to say they'll be nothing like her again men or women. To find someone as good as her that goes to school and stays there 4 yrs (maybe 5 fingers crossed but not betting on it) and is the total package of marketable and everything she's about just seems impossible. She's 1 of 1. Enjoy her while we can.

She truly is something to watch. Not only her "game" but the way she has re-engaged a lost demographic in Iowa. She has brought basketball to the young female athlete. Basketball has taken a back seat to volleyball...don't get me started. Basketball is tough, 94', physical, hard work, physical contact whereas volleyball is played on a 30' by 30' square and there is no contact between teams. Basketball for YEARS was the cash cow of the "Iowa Girl". Caitlin has single handedly brought it back to young girls all over Iowa, and the country. Thanks Caitlin for bringing the "Iowa Girl" back again.

Latest posts