Good QBs galore in portal

I get tired of everyone saying our system is so hard to learn. It's just a lazy excuse. It's no harder to learn than the spread/RPO, we just don't stretch the field. Our wrs and tight ends haven't produced like in the past and that comes from Petras. He is so inaccurate and can't make reads.
Well this goes back aways now BF has been there 5 yrs. And further than that when you factor in the KOK being involved with it. Padilla isn't the only qb that's admitted to the difficulty of it.

In todays college football there shouldn't be a year plus long learning curve to running the O. Have one where it can be learned in an off season such as if you come in early in Jan as a true freshman by the time spring ball and summer camp is over they should have it down. If that isn't the realistic expectation of then it's too much.

Well this goes back aways now BF has been there 5 yrs. And further than that when you factor in the KOK being involved with it. Padilla isn't the only qb that's admitted to the difficulty of it.

In todays college football there shouldn't be a year plus long learning curve to running the O. Have one where it can be learned in an off season such as if you come in early in Jan as a true freshman by the time spring ball and summer camp is over they should have it down. If that isn't the realistic expectation of then it's too much.

It would be nice to have it explained what about the system is so difficult to grasp then. The offense was better under Davis by far and he was canned rather quickly.

Well why on earth would a stud Qb want to come to Iowa? I mean Iowa would have to be at the bottom of that list of options. It's a 2 way street. Iowa has an extremely difficult system to learn. And it's one that primarily doesn't revolve around making the QB shine. Iowa has pigeonholed themselves out of that market and it's a one way street of Iowa QBs transfering out but nobody coming in.
I think you summed it up perfectly. The fact that the QB's are out there and available is one thing, but Iowa ultimately has to create an interest rather than simply be available. I agree with Fryowa and ImInTheSouth that it hurts the dynamics of future team make up, but more importantly think about how we speculate that our QB's are not happy within the system or the PT they get. What did our offense show last year that would seal the deal on any transfers, let alone those that had legitimate playing time.

Sure Riley leaving Oklahoma has something to do with Caleb Williams testing the water, but I'd almost certainly guarantee what ever offense is put in at Oklahoma is head and shoulders a better opportunity to thrive in then ours. I'd simply be blown away if we offered anyone and they even pondered the idea. Recruiting high schoolers is one thing, but recruiting transfers is another.

Bringing in a transfer QB is a horrible idea for a team like Iowa. Terrible, terrible idea.

Bringing in transfer QBs at a school like Iowa will destroy what little recruiting power we have at the position. Let's say Kurt goes to the portal and finds some wonderboy gunslinger from Upper East Tampa Bay State (remember, no elite QB is going to leave their situation to come to Iowa) with 2 years of eligibility left.

What do you think is going to happen in the QB room? Petras...gone. Padilla...gone. Labas...gone.

In today's day and age no one is sticking around if someone's ahead of them and potentially reducing their window of playing years. They can go somewhere else and play immediately.

And then how do you recruit QBs in the future after doing that? Say we're in a battle over a good QB with MSU or Minnesota or whoever. You think the opposing coach isn't going to say, "Hey man, Farence loves to surf the portal for QBs, and remember what happened a few years ago with Petras and Padilla. I'd hate to see you commit somewhere and have something like that happen to your career. Here at __________ University we're loyal to our scholarship guys and we want to see you succeed."

The transfer shopping can work at a big school like Michigan or Ohio State or even Penn State. They're big enough names that they can still pull good players in just by their stature. Doing that shit at Iowa when you've already got a senior, junior, and freshman in the room would be fucking suicide and it'd have repercussions for years. And what if wonderboy got hurt or didn't work out? What're you gonna do then?
You got it.

Bringing in a transfer QB is a horrible idea for a team like Iowa. Terrible, terrible idea.

Bringing in transfer QBs at a school like Iowa will destroy what little recruiting power we have at the position. Let's say Kurt goes to the portal and finds some wonderboy gunslinger from Upper East Tampa Bay State (remember, no elite QB is going to leave their situation to come to Iowa) with 2 years of eligibility left.

What do you think is going to happen in the QB room? Petras...gone. Padilla...gone. Labas...gone.

In today's day and age no one is sticking around if someone's ahead of them and potentially reducing their window of playing years. They can go somewhere else and play immediately.

And then how do you recruit QBs in the future after doing that? Say we're in a battle over a good QB with MSU or Minnesota or whoever. You think the opposing coach isn't going to say, "Hey man, Farence loves to surf the portal for QBs, and remember what happened a few years ago with Petras and Padilla. I'd hate to see you commit somewhere and have something like that happen to your career. Here at __________ University we're loyal to our scholarship guys and we want to see you succeed."

The transfer shopping can work at a big school like Michigan or Ohio State or even Penn State. They're big enough names that they can still pull good players in just by their stature. Doing that shit at Iowa when you've already got a senior, junior, and freshman in the room would be fucking suicide and it'd have repercussions for years. And what if wonderboy got hurt or didn't work out? What're you gonna do then?
Some will look at the Russell Wilson situation @ Wisky and wonder why Iowa can't do that? Not saying Kirk should or even think about it, but for the average Iowa fan it's on their list.

Some will look at the Russell Wilson situation @ Wisky and wonder why Iowa can't do that? Not saying Kirk should or even think about it, but for the average Iowa fan it's on their list.
Bringing in a transfer QB is a short term solution that will cause more p[roblems than it solves.

Positional players, that's a different story. You have way more guys vying for a OL, DL, WR, etc spot than you do for QB which is a singular position, the most difficult to learn on the team, and the hardest to recruit by far.

Ken O represents status quo. Brian should find himself a new guy. I wonder if he's thought about it.

Ken O represents status quo. Brian should find himself a new guy. I wonder if he's thought about it.
This is the most reasonable change and I don't know why it isn't getting more press. Anyone hoping for wholesale changes is dreaming. And I agree with other posters that a transfer QB is unlikely and would probably hurt the brand/recruiting efforts. There are way more Deuce Hogans than Kaleb Williams in the portal anyway. Personally I like Iowa's approach to the portal: Fill a few gaps here and there with guys who fit the system but keep the focus on developing the existing scholarship athletes.

BF would be fired in any other situation. Given nepotism, the easiest "out" for Kirk and co is to have KOK retire and go hire a co-OC/QB coach. That person would instantly be in the running as Kirk's successor so I am sure there would be plenty of eager candidates, even with the asterisk of working alongside BF for his father. Rod Carey is looking for a job and I would be thrilled to see some of the schemes he ran at NIU (throw the Temple record out the window as that was a bad fit from day 1, very similar to Bielema at Arkansas).

You can't clean house with the offensive staff - BF won't be fired, Barnett and Betts deserve more than a year, and Copeland has done a solid job (plus the optics of firing a minority coach when the real fault lies with KF and BF would be horrible). Maybe Jay Niemann is another name besides KOK as I don't understand why we need two DL coaches. Wallace and Bell might be getting DC calls too (hopefully they turn them down).

It’s a good thread with many logical points. QB this, QB that. After we lose another 4+ games next season and earn that big invitation to the Outback bowl, we’ll all remember that it really doesn’t matter who the QB is or will be. This program has plateaued under KF. It will not have any chance to make any meaningful step forward until he and Brain are gone. Until then, watch the program simply because you enjoy Iowa football, developing eternal memories with your kids, or you just like to socialize and perhaps get piss drunk in the process. But do not expect any meaningful progression from the current CEO.

Yes because Brad Banks was a terrible terrible idea. Had one of our best seasons ever and did not set iowa back at all. It can work it just how much loyalty the other QBs have.

This is the correct answer.

Petras will be named the starter, Padilla will transfer to G5, and Labas will be the next 3 year guy. Book it.
Well this makes it official Petras will not be the QB next year. For people that dont know Fryowa is often wrong on his predictions.

Well this makes it official Petras will not be the QB next year. For people that dont know Fryowa is often wrong on his predictions.
Like I’ve said before, you hate me cause you ain’t me and you’re mad that I make you look like you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Yes because Brad Banks was a terrible terrible idea. Had one of our best seasons ever and did not set iowa back at all. It can work it just how much loyalty the other QBs have.
Back in Brad Banks’ time you had to sit a year and forfeit a season of eligibility if you wanted to transfer, Einstein. Of course people didn’t do it.

Now players can leave and play immediately with no effect to eligibility, and they can make NIL money.

Like I’ve said before, you hate me cause you ain’t me and you’re mad that I make you look like you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Your Literally wrong with about everything you say but keep trying to hype yourself up.

Back in Brad Banks’ time you had to sit a year and forfeit a season of eligibility if you wanted to transfer, Einstein. Of course people didn’t do it.

Now players can leave and play immediately with no effect to eligibility, and they can make NIL money.
Your always the guy that the glass is empty. I would say bringing in a portal QB is a 90% good idea. Competion is never a bad thing and I will guarantee you it will not hurt the recruiting. If portal QB comes in wins the job has a great year Iowa has a great year everyone buys in to winning over everything high profile kids want to play for programs like that. I actually think bringing a portal QB is a great idea as long as it works and everyone buys in.

This is the correct answer. Bringing in a QB thru the portal makes no sense at all.

Jeez, we won 10 games and a Big West title this year with a young OL. QB play will improve if OL improves

Your always the guy that the glass is empty. I would say bringing in a portal QB is a 90% good idea. Competion is never a bad thing and I will guarantee you it will not hurt the recruiting. If portal QB comes in wins the job has a great year Iowa has a great year everyone buys in to winning over everything high profile kids want to play for programs like that. I actually think bringing a portal QB is a great idea as long as it works and everyone buys in.
How about bringing in a new offensive coordinator through the portal? That is what you should lobby for…..Brian Ferentz sucks.

There’s zero chance our QB room stays if a transfer is brought in. Those guys would all three be gone. Tyler Barnes has alluded to the same thing when he’s been asked about the portal.

If you put out the message that you’re willing to bring in transfer QBs, that’s going to have a negative impact on recruiting and you will suffer for it. If you can’t see that, well I don’t know what to say.

Again, before last year players had to forgo a year of eligibility if they wanted to transfer. Now it’s the Wild West and they can go wherever they want whenever they want. You're completely ignoring that.

If Iowa was a blue blood like Michigan or Ohio State it’d be fine. There would be good QBs beating the door down to get a chance. But we aren’t. The best we can scrape together is Petras and Padilla (I’m sure very nice guys and high character individuals) who aren’t very good B1G quarterbacks to begin with. What kinds of QBs do you think we’ll get to sign if it we put the message out there that we are willing to go shopping for quarterbacks if things don’t go well?