Good QBs galore in portal

Iowa not mentioned as a landing spot for any of them. I’m betting Kirk doesn’t even take a sniff.

Well I am sure glad you gave us a link to an article that costs at least $7 and having to sign up for espn website.

Is Caleb W. the OU qb transferring because Riley left????

I am not subscribing so who are the other QBs in there you are touting or you could even copy and paste in the QB section from that article and paste it into this thread

I won't copy and paste the article (not sure it's legal), but here are some Iowa mentions.

Caleb Williams, Oklahoma

Where he could land: When he was recruited out of high school, Williams finalists were Oklahoma, Maryland and LSU. It appears Iowa is the odds on favorite to land Williams due to it's explosive attack and creative offensive scheme. Williams said that Oklahoma remains a potential destination for him, but those close to him say Iowa will probably be too tough to turn down.

OK, now the real ones that listed Iowa:

OL Hunter Nourzad, Cornell

DE Jared Verse, Albany

I won't copy and paste the article (not sure it's legal), but here are some Iowa mentions.

Caleb Williams, Oklahoma

Where he could land: When he was recruited out of high school, Williams finalists were Oklahoma, Maryland and LSU. It appears Iowa is the odds on favorite to land Williams due to it's explosive attack and creative offensive scheme. Williams said that Oklahoma remains a potential destination for him, but those close to him say Iowa will probably be too tough to turn down.

DE Jared Verse, Albany
That is some funny stuff and I had a good giggle.

Caleb Williams, Oklahoma

DE Jared Verse, Albany
Incredible work

Just curious, who did they list for Connor Bazelak (Mizzou QB)? Had an Iowa offer and is an Ohio native. I think he is similar to Petras in build and playing style, albeit with better production.

For what it's worth, we made the top five cut for Nourzad along with Penn State, Illinois, Auburn, and Virginia Tech. That's pretty good company.

Incredible work

Just curious, who did they list for Connor Bazelak (Mizzou QB)? Had an Iowa offer and is an Ohio native. I think he is similar to Petras in build and playing style, albeit with better production.

For what it's worth, we made the top five cut for Nourzad along with Penn State, Illinois, Auburn, and Virginia Tech. That's pretty good company.
Bazalek is not in the article.

Bringing in a transfer QB is a horrible idea for a team like Iowa. Terrible, terrible idea.

Bringing in transfer QBs at a school like Iowa will destroy what little recruiting power we have at the position. Let's say Kurt goes to the portal and finds some wonderboy gunslinger from Upper East Tampa Bay State (remember, no elite QB is going to leave their situation to come to Iowa) with 2 years of eligibility left.

What do you think is going to happen in the QB room? Petras...gone. Padilla...gone. Labas...gone.

In today's day and age no one is sticking around if someone's ahead of them and potentially reducing their window of playing years. They can go somewhere else and play immediately.

And then how do you recruit QBs in the future after doing that? Say we're in a battle over a good QB with MSU or Minnesota or whoever. You think the opposing coach isn't going to say, "Hey man, Farence loves to surf the portal for QBs, and remember what happened a few years ago with Petras and Padilla. I'd hate to see you commit somewhere and have something like that happen to your career. Here at __________ University we're loyal to our scholarship guys and we want to see you succeed."

The transfer shopping can work at a big school like Michigan or Ohio State or even Penn State. They're big enough names that they can still pull good players in just by their stature. Doing that shit at Iowa when you've already got a senior, junior, and freshman in the room would be fucking suicide and it'd have repercussions for years. And what if wonderboy got hurt or didn't work out? What're you gonna do then?

Bringing in a transfer QB is a horrible idea for a team like Iowa. Terrible, terrible idea.

Bringing in transfer QBs at a school like Iowa will destroy what little recruiting power we have at the position. Let's say Kurt goes to the portal and finds some wonderboy gunslinger from Upper East Tampa Bay State (remember, no elite QB is going to leave their situation to come to Iowa) with 2 years of eligibility left.

What do you think is going to happen in the QB room? Petras...gone. Padilla...gone. Labas...gone.

In today's day and age no one is sticking around if someone's ahead of them and potentially reducing their window of playing years. They can go somewhere else and play immediately.

And then how do you recruit QBs in the future after doing that. Say we're in a battle over a good QB with MSU or Minnesota or whoever. You think the opposing coach isn't going to say, "Hey man, Farence loves to hit the portal for QBs, and remember what happened a few years ago with Petras and Padilla. I'd hate to see you commit somewhere and have something like that happen to your career. Here at __________ University we're loyal to our scholarship guys and we want to see you succeed."

The transfer shopping can work at a big school Like Michigan or Ohio State or even Penn State. They're big enough names that they can still pull good players in just by their stature. Doing that shit at Iowa when you've already got a senior, junior, and freshman in the room would be fucking suicide and it'd have repercussions for years. And what if wonderboy got hurt or didn't work out? What're you gonna do then?
I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought this way. Seems like everyone wants to plug and play guys from the portal, and nothing but sunshine and happiness will ensue. For a developmental program like Iowa, its not worth blowing up your QB room and perhaps the entire team by undercutting guys that are putting in work to get better. Its a fine line to walk. That said, there are obviously circumstances where bringing in a portal qb would work and may be necessary. I don't believe the current state of our QB room justifies that move yet.

We have one more year of Petras.
Or maybe 2 years left if Petras wants to use his covid year as an extra year for eligibility.

Why did you think Duece Hogan left. If petras keeps the job, Petras could maybe stay 2 more years. If Padilla takes over, Padilla could maybe stay 3 more years. Hogan would have been waiting forever for his chance.

Or maybe 2 years left if Petras wants to use his covid year as an extra year for eligibility.

Why did you think Duece Hogan left. If petras keeps the job, Petras could maybe stay 2 more years. If Padilla takes over, Padilla could maybe stay 3 more years. Hogan would have been waiting forever for his chance.
Yeah Hogan didn’t leave because of the joke Ferentz made in that presser.

He used it as a convenient excuse.

This is the correct answer.

Petras will be named the starter, Padilla will transfer to G5, and Labas will be the next 3 year guy. Book it.

As much as I'd like to get a transfer qb we have Kirk's long track record of handling that position.

Well why on earth would a stud Qb want to come to Iowa? I mean Iowa would have to be at the bottom of that list of options. It's a 2 way street. Iowa has an extremely difficult system to learn. And it's one that primarily doesn't revolve around making the QB shine. Iowa has pigeonholed themselves out of that market and it's a one way street of Iowa QBs transfering out but nobody coming in.

Well why on earth would a stud Qb want to come to Iowa? I mean Iowa would have to be at the bottom of that list of options. It's a 2 way street. Iowa has an extremely difficult system to learn. And it's one that primarily doesn't revolve around making the QB shine. Iowa has pigeonholed themselves out of that market and it's a one way street of Iowa QBs transfering out but nobody coming in.

I get tired of everyone saying our system is so hard to learn. It's just a lazy excuse. It's no harder to learn than the spread/RPO, we just don't stretch the field. Our wrs and tight ends haven't produced like in the past and that comes from Petras. He is so inaccurate and can't make reads.

Yeah Hogan didn’t leave because of the joke Ferentz made in that presser.

He used it as a convenient excuse.
No doubt he was 2 feet out the door well before that convo ever took place anyway. I wonder how much of that was his mommy who wrote that long sob story or him to begin with. Not that it matters other then how is he going to be looked at from the coaching staff for his next stop