Good look at returning starters for B10, Nation

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
LINK

Iowa has the fewest returning starters in the Big Ten, and the second fewest of the teams in BCS conferences...with 10 (inlcuding special teams, 9 without special teams 4/5 offense/defense)

OSU has 12, and Wisconsin 13...but Wisky added Russell Wilson.

Now, drilling down deeper for Iowa's number, Binns isn't likely counted as a returning starter. On offense, the four returning starters have to be McNutt, Herman, Ferentz and Reiff. There are a number of players that have started before that will start this year...Coker, Gettis, MacMillan to name three...the last two were probably not counted because they are going off season ending depth charts.

Interesting that I (along with a lot of others right now) am picking the Legends and Leaders winners to be Nebraska and Wisconsin when they return near the fewest starters in the Big Ten. Which is why some people feel Wisconsin is being set up to disappoint

I can't wait to see how Nebraska fares in the big 10 this coming football season. They're a perfect fit.

I predict the little red machine to go 7 and 5.

There are so many question marks in the Big Ten this year and that makes for a wide open year for the championship. It's going to be very interesting.

LINK

Iowa has the fewest returning starters in the Big Ten, and the second fewest of the teams in BCS conferences...with 10 (inlcuding special teams, 9 without special teams 4/5 offense/defense)

OSU has 12, and Wisconsin 13...but Wisky added Russell Wilson.

Now, drilling down deeper for Iowa's number, Binns isn't likely counted as a returning starter. On offense, the four returning starters have to be McNutt, Herman, Ferentz and Reiff. There are a number of players that have started before that will start this year...Coker, Gettis, MacMillan to name three...the last two were probably not counted because they are going off season ending depth charts.

Interesting that I (along with a lot of others right now) am picking the Legends and Leaders winners to be Nebraska and Wisconsin when they return near the fewest starters in the Big Ten. Which is why some people feel Wisconsin is being set up to disappoint

If people aren't going to list Gettis as a starter because he wasn't a starter in the bowl game, then they have to list Coker as a starter. That doesn't make any sense. Also, where is Zues? As far as I'm concerned, that list is at least two, if not three or four short on returning starters.

Last edited:
There is more experience than the "returning starter" list suggests.

I think the hawks are going to have a pretty good year. Should be interesting in the B1G.

^^^^^ +1

I don't know what they classify as "returning starters" but those numbers don't amount for guys that got spot starts or thrown in for someone who was injured. We're not as raw as they'd like to believe.

Last edited:

Latest posts