Good Job Tanner Miller

MelroseHawkins

I think Tanner Miller had a particularly good game. He was really laying the wood on players. Good job.

That's all I got.

I would rather have him deflect some of those passes then "lay wood"

Exactly, hes slow to see the play develop, but I don't think he has any issues with speed. With more practice and film room time he will start to break up those passes.

Exactly, hes slow to see the play develop, but I don't think he has any issues with speed. With more practice and film room time he will start to break up those passes.

Someone last week compared him to Greenwood as a freshman, and I couldnt agree more. Brett would have games where he'll have 10 tackles but they all came because he was half a step late. With experience Brett became a stud. Tanner has all the tools to become a stud and im excited to watch him put it all together

I love his "laying wood." It gives the WRs something to think about the next time the ball is thrown their way. He's catching up to the speed of the game very nicely. It's great tp see him coming along so quickly. Definitely goin to be a stud.

"laying the wood" doesn't count unless you cause a fumble or break up the pass. Otherwise its just another tackle.

"laying the wood" doesn't count unless you cause a fumble or break up the pass. Otherwise its just another tackle.
So your saying that "laying the wood" has the same effect on the ball carrier or receiver as an arm tackle? I don't understand what your point is I guess. To be hit like a truck after a catch most definitely has an effect on the receiver the next time he gets the ball thrown his way.

You obviously did not play football. You lay the wood to a receiver once and they will be thinking twice about catching the next ball.

So your saying that "laying the wood" has the same effect on the ball carrier or receiver as an arm tackle? I don't understand what your point is I guess. To be hit like a truck after a catch most definitely has an effect on the receiver the next time he gets the ball thrown his way.

Lets ease up on the hyperbole here. The receiver is not being hit by a truck they are being hit by a 201 pound man. These are football players who have been hit hard since they were kids. Unless they are being injured when being hit they are not going to be sheepish going over the middle to catch a pass. Maybe back in the day when you could lead with your helmet this worked but no today.

Lets ease up on the hyperbole here. The receiver is not being hit by a truck they are being hit by a 201 pound man. These are football players who have been hit hard since they were kids. Unless they are being injured when being hit they are not going to be sheepish going over the middle to catch a pass. Maybe back in the day when you could lead with your helmet this worked but no today.
So you're saying that an arm tackle and a heavy hit have the same cumulative effect on a player during the course of the game? OK :rolleyes:

Hitting hard is far superior to just making a tackle.

In addition to the things people have already mentioned, if you can "lay the wood" on an unsuspecting receiver, often time the ball will come out.

I thought he made some nice plays, on in particular in the first qtr when he came up and made a tackle in the backfield. Jury's still out for me in terms of how good he will be. Time will tell but I saw improvements from just last week to this week.

I thought he made some nice plays, on in particular in the first qtr when he came up and made a tackle in the backfield. Jury's still out for me in terms of how good he will be. Time will tell but I saw improvements from just last week to this week.

I agree that he did quite well sniffing out a couple trick plays that came off the option.
He's young (still a teenager), and he'll get burnt a few times. But he may also get a couple interceptions, which will bolster his confidence. I didn't realize that he appeared in 8 games during the 2010 season, so he is accustomed to the zone defense in the defensive backfield.

Latest posts